Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ULTREX 80 issues BRAND NEW!

2 trips out with new ultrex 80 non link. One to make sure installed correctly and calibrate. Fished tournament next day. At times during the day prop would not spin when hit button. Would have to jiggle foot control to activate. When placed on trailer and deployed had to nudge prop with foot to get to spin. So frustrated. Called Minn Kota...they are placing blame on who purchased from. Asking me to take to have warranty work.... Spent 2k and do not have working trolling motor and they would like it to be worked on.... will follow up with results. Just BEWARE!!!!! Not happy. Long term Minn Kota may go to motorguide.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    So do you expect them to fix it over the phone or what? Take it to a service center for free repair.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    During the first year of production they were just sending out new motors... but now they want the service centers to do any repairs. I know its frustrating, but it is a warranty issue and they will cover it. It could have knocked something lose during shipping or something... who knows. But they will fix it. It is possible to get a bad motorguide out of the box too. Hang in there, you will be glad you did.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    So do you expect them to fix it over the phone or what? Take it to a service center for free repair.
    There shouldn't be an issue. Simple really, when a company has this many issues with a product you pull it off the shelf until it's fixed. You don't charge a premium price and roll the dice and just say oh well, send it to a service centre and we see what happens. When these motors came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, then heard all the issues, was on the fence now seeing minn kota doing nothing about it. I will never buy one now. To the OP, no jab at you but you dropped over 2 grand on this motor, how good is it now? How's the spot lock working for you? I don't care how inavative these motors are if they can't work they useless. Everytime I log into BBC there's a new post about the ultrex with a new issue.
    End of rant.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    There shouldn't be an issue. Simple really, when a company has this many issues with a product you pull it off the shelf until it's fixed. You don't charge a premium price and roll the dice and just say oh well, send it to a service centre and we see what happens. When these motors came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, then heard all the issues, was on the fence now seeing minn kota doing nothing about it. I will never buy one now. To the OP, no jab at you but you dropped over 2 grand on this motor, how good is it now? How's the spot lock working for you? I don't care how inavative these motors are if they can't work they useless. Everytime I log into BBC there's a new post about the ultrex with a new issue.
    End of rant.
    Wow... that's a lot of angry going on there. Minn Kota is doing something about it if they are going to pay to fix it as warranty work at a service center. You will ALWAYS hear more negative comments about something than you will positive comments... that's just human nature and on a forum such as this.... people ask about problems. I have had 2 of these trolling motors (sold first one to get a link version), and they have been 100% flawless. My buddy bought one before me and his has been 100% flawless. All 3 of these ultrex motors were purchased within the first 6 months of production. I couldn't be happier... but I know things can happen and if something does happen during my warranty period I know they will cover it. But you can't act like EVERY ONE they have made has broke and they should pull them off the shelf.... it just isn't true.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

6. Banned
    this many issues? mine has been problem free and it's an early version. I know that doesn't help you but the few problems you see on these forums pales in comparison to the number of units sold

7. Member
    Yepper , my Ultrex broke (steering cables) yes I was frustraded but got her fixed up and Happy as a lark back on boat and best 2 grand I spent on anything on my boat and still would by another if it got destroyed , Minnkoto does there best to keep you going

8. Member
    I haven't had a chance to use my Ultrex yet but it's my understanding there have really only been a couple of issues with these motors. 1) Adjusting the foot peddle sensor and 2) Broken steering cables, both of which have been addressed by Minn Kota. The foot sensor in August and the cables in November if I remember correctly.

I can't wait to be able to use mine....

M

9. Member
    There shouldn't be an issue. Simple really, when a company has this many issues This many issues?? Ultrex issues have been in three different catagories that have been addressed and corrected by MinnKota. with a product you pull it off the shelf until it's fixed. You don't charge a premium price and roll the dice and just say oh well, They didn't say "oh well" -- they sent the purchasers new trollingmotors so they could take the bad ones in (and some were not bad but user error on not reading instructions) to diagnose and fix recurrent problems -- which they did send it to a service centre and we see what happens. When these motors came out I couldn't wait to get my hands on one, then heard all the issues, was on the fence now seeing minn kota doing nothing about it. Don't know where you were looking because MinnKota was evaluating "bad" motors, fixing those problems while sending new units to the customers. I will never buy one now. Certainly your prerogative, but it accomplishes nothing to come on here running down something you have no experience with. To the OP, no jab at you but you dropped over 2 grand on this motor, how good is it now? I've seen problems with new, out of box Motorguide Tours, MinnKota Fortrex's, MinnKota Edges, MinnKota Maxxums, Motorgude X5's and every other trolling motor out there. The Ultrex is no exception. Shippers handle the motors any way the can and most problems are shippers faults, but some problems with all motors are can be in the manufacture process. An ASC will get him going. That is the reason MinnKota and Motorguide have us scattered all over the US. How's the spot lock working for you? I don't care how inavative these motors are if they can't work they useless. Everytime I log into BBC there's a new post about the ultrex with a new issue. And if you read real close, everytime you log into BBC, someone (or many) are praising the Ultrex as the best thing to come out in a trolling motor with no problems after over a years worth of use.
    End of rant.
    I tried to address each of your points in your above rant. It comes down to the facts that MinnKota came out with a trollingmotor that is changing the way we're able to maneuver/position our boats and it comes with a cost. However, in this day of $20K outboards, $60K boats, $2500.+ depth finders, a $2500. trollingmotor doesn't sound that bad.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

10. Banned
    I will never buy one now. How's the spot lock working for you?
    Mine works just fine. Fished in the wind on Sunday and it just held there happy as a clam. Guess I could've turned off the spot lock and worked the pedal every 15 seconds to hold that spot, but naaah.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I tried to address each of your points in your above rant. It comes down to the facts that MinnKota came out with a trollingmotor that is changing the way we're able to maneuver/position our boats and it comes with a cost. However, in this day of $20K outboards, $60K boats, $2500.+ depth finders, a $2500. trollingmotor doesn't sound that bad.
    John
    Your right I never owned an ultrex, but just like any wise consumer I'd like to get the best info as possible in order to make the smartest purchase. $2500 for some is not an issue, others it's expensive. Some might not be able to afford an expensive bass boats others can. Doesn't mean this motor is not worth the price. I do see all the positive feed back and I have owned a terrova in the past. I didn't expect all these issues and thought they had all been resolved but it's clear that issues are still occurring more then I expected. Yes, you only hear about the negative issues, but again I'm using this forum as measurement in reliability. I appreciate your response and experience, however, you are a retailer and while I do take your advice and comments I place more weight on the reviews and experiences from every day consumers like myself.

Thank you you for the reply.

12. Member
    I appreciate your response and experience, however, you are a retailer and while I do take your advice and comments I place more weight on the reviews and experiences from every day consumers like myself.

I am an authorized service center for MinnKota and Motorguide. With that comes being a dealer so yes, I do sell these items I also see first hand the "problems" since it's my job to fix them. That makes me feel that I'm a little more qualified to discuss "problems" with motors than the average consumer.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

13. Member
    I’ve always found John to be a straight shooter. I don’t see him compromising his morals to ‘make a sale’. I own an Ultrex, and it had one issue when I got it. Spot lock kept dropping. That’s when I learned the pedal can’t hit anything while spot lock is engaged, and it was hitting the power cable. Moved the power cable and solved the problem. So far, it’s been flawless. I think many people miss that it is no longer just a trolling motor. It is another piece of electronics just like your graphs because it’s got some sophisticated electronics on board to do what it does.

14. Member
    Your right I never owned an ultrex, but just like any wise consumer I'd like to get the best info as possible in order to make the smartest purchase. $2500 for some is not an issue, others it's expensive. Some might not be able to afford an expensive bass boats others can. Doesn't mean this motor is not worth the price. I do see all the positive feed back and I have owned a terrova in the past. I didn't expect all these issues and thought they had all been resolved but it's clear that issues are still occurring more then I expected. Yes, you only hear about the negative issues, but again I'm using this forum as measurement in reliability. I appreciate your response and experience, however, you are a retailer and while I do take your advice and comments I place more weight on the reviews and experiences from every day consumers like myself.

John will tell you straight up how it is, good or bad. On another note, when have you seen a product come out and be on back order for so long because they can't keep up with production? I can't remeber one although I'm sure there's been one or two. That should give an idea of just how many have been sold, a crap ton of them. The number of issues is very small compared to how many have been put on boats.

I installed mine last fall, and it has worked perfectly since!

John
    I just read a post to which you responded in 2010 about problems with the momentary (reed) switch on a MK TM. Yet here we are 8 years later reading about the same problems with $2500 MK's. As long as we keep buying 'em, they're going to keep trotting them out there.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    I just read a post to which you responded in 2010 about problems with the momentary (reed) switch on a MK TM. Yet here we are 8 years later reading about the same problems with $2500 MK's. As long as we keep buying 'em, they're going to keep trotting them out there.
    That's it, I'm putting a pair of oars on the bow and getting away from these problematic motors!

My Ultrex in on season two and has been great. I had an issue with a cracked housing that didn't affect performance. I'm not even sure how it happened but the ASC replaced the parts under warranty.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tooboocoo View Post
    yes sir, you're correct, and as I've said many times the reed switch problem isn't an "Ultrex" problem but has the same symptons/problems with the Maxxum and Fortrex -- any of the variable speed motors. The design / theory is good, however a heavy foot with lots of adrenaline will cause a person to mash the button too hard and "set" the reed deep enough that normal pressure will not engage. On the other side, if the spring weakens, the button will not raise enough to disengage the magnet.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Banned
    The design / theory is good, however a heavy foot with lots of adrenaline will cause a person to mash the button too hard and "set" the reed deep enough that normal pressure will not engage.
    I think this may be part of the problems as well. I use my equipment, but I don't abuse it. We've all seen that person that beats on things and then wonders why it fails. Have a 2 month old motor that looks like someone drug it behind a truck and screams when something quits working.

20. Member
    John is correct. I have seen the same issues and it is usually related to a person with a heavy foot. Reed switch is one of the easiest things to repair. No they not bulletproof, but they work. If you think that Minn Kota has issues than you should go out and try some of the competitor troll motors and come back and report here how good they are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast