Cracked lower cowl question

I backed into a pole and cracked the starboard side lower cowl from where it meets the upper cowl down about 8 inches. The top still latches fine. I was going to use some black duct tape over it and order a tuffskinz vented cover. Thoughts? Am I going to expose it to more damage by doing this? Mercy said I have to replace both sides since they don’t sell one side of the lower cowl. 1200 for the part. So that would be an insurance claim for sure. It’s a 2017 verado 200 4 cylinder.
    thanks
    jeff

2. Member
    With something that new I would replace the cowl just in case. You still probably have four years left of warranty probably. If some warranty work might need done, I would hate for them to use that as an excuse to void the warranty.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wouldn't "void" the Warranty (there is NO such thing).

If the damaged or missing cowling "caused or contributed to" a failure, that would result in a denied claim.

Example: Broken cowling allowing water into engine electronics.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    okay.....