Thread: Central IL guys

Central IL guys

Wife and I did a mini road trip Sunday to Danville area for winery/antiques for her...stumbled into Kennekuk Co. park, and thusly Mingo Lake...completed intrigued! Made a handful of casts into one of the ponds while she waited and caught keeper bass...and further in found Mingo and a few casts from shore around the ramp I got another...hmmm...So my question is do folks launch their bass boats and trolling motor fish the lake?? Or do I have to drag down my 14 ft alum w/ 10hp?? Would rather have the larger casting deck and such with the bass boat of course...Thanks for your input guys

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

Unless something has recently changed, Mingo has a 9.9 HP limit and you need to get a sticker at the park office. They come out and inspect your boat at the time that you purchase the sticker to ensure that you aren't over the 9.9 HP limit. It's different from, say Newton where you can just trim up your big motor and fish with the trolling motor only. You might want to check out Weldon Springs State Park East of Clinton. It is trolling motor only (no sticker required) and you can use a bass boat with motor trimmed out of the water. It's full of fish and some big fish as well.

Additionally...If your wife is into antiques Farmer City is about 10 miles from the park and Paxton is about 45 miles to the Northeast. They are both popular antique store destinations.

3. Member
    Have fished Mingo before also. They charge you to launch your boat, cant remember what it is though. It does have a 9.9hp limit, but guys have used their big motors and idled around also. I have a 60 and dont do that, I just use my TM. Fishing is just like any lake cold and hot. When I was a young boy, my grandfather and I visited Lake Mingo several times when they were actually making it. Pretty neat to see them build the dam to the west and the flood gate.