Kentucky Lake Mustard Flowers?

Just wandering if anyone has seen any of the Mustard Flowers that normally come along in spring??

2. Banned
    They are growing, didn't make it to the lake this weekend, but the fields around here are full of them now.

Lake temp is still in the 50s though

All the rain this weekend has the lake hitting summer pool on Wednesday.

3. Member
    Yeah that's why i was asking..... I was hoping several of the mustard flowers would have came up before the lake reached summer pool.... Thanks for the reply

I'm afraid there won't be as many yellow flowers this year because of the high water in March. When I was on Ky and Barkley a week ago, they were just starting to sprout out of the ground along the shoreline. If the water is coming up faster than normal, they might not have a chance to grow much before they get flooded.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Love it when those torpedoes come blasting thru the yella flyers to hit a wacky worm or fluke. Spinnerbait too. Good times. Been many years for me tho. Need to go back.....

6. Member
    I fished Barkley Fri through Sun, saw a few decent sized patches just out of the water in the backs of cuts, and an occasional small patch just into the water.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Flowers just point to a spot where the bottom is right. Fish don't care if the flowers are there or not.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Do you all think the bass will even get in the flowers this week/weekend since the water temps are still so low?

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    Do you all think the bass will even get in the flowers this week/weekend since the water temps are still so low?
    No. The flower bite for me doesn't get good until the water temp gets up to around 70 degrees, which is USUALLY around KY Derby weekend or Mother's Day Weekend. Considering that the temp gauge says 58 degrees right now, you can forget about the shallow bite for a while.

Go back to April 28, 2016, May 5, 2016, and May 12, 2016 for Dave Stewart's reports to get an idea for the flower bite. April 21, 2017 is another good report with some other good ones in the weeks that follow. Make note of the water temps.

Just got home from KY lake a few hours ago. Water temp was 58-59. Outside air was in the high 30's, low 40's, wind 15 MPH. I was crappie fishing this weekend with the wife and all we caught was bass. Mostly large mouth but a few small mouth also. We fish shallow 2-3 feet with a minnow. I did see some mustard grass around the shore lines and water is right at summer pool. Talked to a few bass fisherman that said they were catching some good bass on top water. I will be back in a few weeks to see if I can get on those crappie, got to keep the ole lady happy,,,, she loves catching them crappie.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Flowers just point to a spot where the bottom is right. Fish don't care if the flowers are there or not.
    This, I've always felt that the flowers were where the fish are more than the other way around.

12. Member
    My favorite memory of LBL was a spring day mid April years ago when a buddy and I got on a flower bite in the back of Mammoth Furnace on Barkley. We had ourselves a time for about two hours. The lake got so rough while we were back in there, we nearly drown getting back to Eddy Creek in the 17 footer I had at the time.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    No. The flower bite for me doesn't get good until the water temp gets up to around 70 degrees, which is USUALLY around KY Derby weekend or Mother's Day Weekend. Considering that the temp gauge says 58 degrees right now, you can forget about the shallow bite for a while.

Go back to April 28, 2016, May 5, 2016, and May 12, 2016 for Dave Stewart's reports to get an idea for the flower bite. April 21, 2017 is another good report with some other good ones in the weeks that follow. Make note of the water temps.
    Yeah that’s what I was thinking but had to ask since this thread came up and the water temps aren’t even close to 70 yet. Thanks for the help.