Thumbs Up 1999 J150PLEES won’t exceed 4200 rpm. Lost hole shot

Went on a weekend fishing trip and on the next to last day noticed putting it on the trailer that the engine stalled when I pushed the boat up. Next morning it took off ok and I had my wife with me so I was taking it easy about 40 mph. Then it rained hard. When I tried to get on pad with a full live well and wet carpet, I couldn’t get on plane. I moved her to the front deck and eventually got up and ran it hard to see what was going on. Hit 4200 rpm and that was all it would do.

I am looking for for a place to start. I was thinking that the timing roller and carb linkage synchronization would cause that issue but I couldn’t find another thread about it.

It it has been running great, topping out at 5250.
    I tried pushing the choke while it was running at max and it would just bog it down.
    Any advice is appreciated

2. Member
    start simple - look at plugs, check compression. plugs will tell the story. a plug down would give you about that reduction in rpm's
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

4. Member
    Is it normal to have to clean or replace the plugs often? I usually notice it when I’m around 5200 rpm I will have a dead moss. I wasn’t running that fast this weekend so I didn’t get that clue. It seems like about every 10 trips ive got to do the spark plugs. I use the proper champion plugs, have fairly new coil packs and wires.

That roller was notorious for deteriorating and losing the outer layer. The new part is much better.

6. Member
    Replaced the spark plugs and checked the throttle/timing arm synchronization and took it out today. Ran much smoother but had the same issue. Weak holeshot and reduced maximum rpm. Put it back on the trailer and started rechecking. Checked the timing, was ok.
    Checked and found the pulse limiter hose badly kinked. Suspected it could be sucking flat and reducing the fuel flow. I replaced the hose and went ahead and installed my new VRO I had for a spare.
    I'll try to run it tomorrow.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'd check compression to be safe. Seeing it bogs when you push in the key suspect an electrical issue.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    I'd check compression to be safe. Seeing it bogs when you push in the key suspect an electrical issue.
    Well it sure isn’t the VRO. Tried that and the new pulse limiter and hose. I’ll check compression tomorrow. I’ve got a spare power pack. I’ll try that next and check some voltage readings.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You were correct. Found my # 3/4 coil had a high resistance fault on the port primary connection. Read 18 ohms installed an open when I removed it. Ordered and will update when installed and tested. May explain why I’ve had periodic spark plug fouling. I could replace the plugs or clean them and be alright for a month or so.
    Thanks for the help