Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Depth reading disappears on 360 screen

Hello, I finally got to get out and spend some time with my new 360 on my Ultrex. A problem I kept having was the depth overlay would lock up.... usually saying 0.7 and then flash or completely disappear from the overlay. The other readings were still there on the screen though (temp, speed, time...). Then at times the depth reading would come back and read ok for a little while before locking up again and/or disappear. I noticed if I changed views to something besides 360, the depth would be back and reading correctly (such as on 2d, di, or si screens or combo screens. Any suggestions. My buddy got tired of me asking to look at my console graph and tell him what it said for depth. He likes the console screen on regular 2d when he is fishing in the back.

My other concern/gripe after my second trip out this year is that since doing the latest update, my units (helix 12 mega on bow and helix 10 mega on console) have had a hard time showing the correct depth. My console unit especially has been all over the place while fishing. Saturday it was reading 200-800 ft deep randomly and crazy colors all over the screen. I finally turned the noise filter from off to low and it instantly went to reading fine. I had to do the same thing on the bow unit that morning too. All last year I rarely had any issues with these units reading depth correctly. I never had to use any filters or give it much thought really. But this year is a different story. I have seen MANY others having to decrease sensitivity and such for erratic depth readings and now it looks like I'm going to join them.

Joe
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Guess I stumped the group

Maybe a restore defaults is in order. I always restore before and after an update... but who knows... it may help.

I currently have 1 mix 77 ferrite ring on my mega transducer cable and 1 on the ethernet cable coming from the 5 port hub to the bow unit. Both rings are located close to the bow unit. I bought some extra ones in case I need to double stack some on a cable or add to other cables. The only cables left at the bow are the 360 power wire and ethernet cable, and the power cable for the bow helix.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

3. Member
    Are you running 2D on both units simultaneously, both units having sonar turned ON, or are you sharing 2d?
    Are you experiencing interference on SI/DI with the TM running?
    Resetting defaults is definitely a place to start.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

4. Member
    I have always ran both units when I have a fishing partner in the back of the boat. (Not sharing 2d) Both units set on 200 frequency, only in deeper water have I noticed any cross talk before. However, when the depth was freezing and disappearing on the 360 screen, i could switch to si or di, and the depth was working/displayed just fine at the bow.

Depending on the situation in the past, I have changed 2d frequencies on either the bow or console if I have been staying in deeper water fishing, but even in deeper water using the same 2d frequency on both units I have only experienced crosstalk... never erratic depth readings like I have seen since hitting the water this year. The only two things different than last year are the addition of 360 and the new update.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 04-17-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    For your 360 issue, perhaps "un-network" the Helix units and see what happens.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    For your 360 issue, perhaps "un-network" the Helix units and see what happens.
    I will try that....Thanks. Curious what you think may be happening?
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by akaslyguy View Post
    I will try that....Thanks. Curious what you think may be happening?
    Just isolating where the issue occurs. When your 2D depth readings went away, was the circle in the middle still showing the right depth?
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    When your 2D depth readings went away, was the circle in the middle still showing the right depth?
    Yes, water column was as it should be for whatever depth I was in. Just the weird disappearing depth reading on the overlay info. Just before it would disappear... it was usually froze on .07 and then flash on and off a time or two then stay off for a bit.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Yes, water column was as it should be for whatever depth I was in. Just the weird disappearing depth reading on the overlay info. Just before it would disappear... it was usually froze on .07 and then flash on and off a time or two then stay off for a bit.
    2D sonar is not working when that happens. That is where the depth readout comes from.

You can use the 360 with no other transducer connected since it does Range, not depth.
    A 2D source just provides the depth readout.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    2D sonar is not working when that happens. That is where the depth readout comes from.

You can use the 360 with no other transducer connected since it does Range, not depth.
    A 2D source just provides the depth readout.
    Yep... just trying to narrow down the reason the 2d is not working at times. I know the 360 is not causing my issue, it's just weird that I don't, or haven't, noticed it on other screens.

I have done some reworking on how I have some cables running and such but I won't get to test on the water again until next week. Voltage on the unit shows 11.4 - 11.6 when I have looked, so I don't think I have a unit acting funny from low voltage.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Yep... just trying to narrow down the reason the 2d is not working at times. I know the 360 is not causing my issue, it's just weird that I don't, or haven't, noticed it on other screens.

I have done some reworking on how I have some cables running and such but I won't get to test on the water again until next week. Voltage on the unit shows 11.4 - 11.6 when I have looked, so I don't think I have a unit acting funny from low voltage.
    If you wiring is adequate as well as your battery health, you should be getting over 12V. A fully charged lead/acid battery is 12.7V.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Ok... maybe on to something now... the console unit will show about 11.9 and bow unit 11.6 to 11.7. I have a 1 year old Sam's duracell AGM group 31, 6g wire from battery to a master cut off switch, 10g wires from cut off switch to a blue seas fuse block located in my rod locker, 10g wiring from fuse block to each graph. I don't think I've ever seen either graph show over 12 volts, but the battery will show over 12.8 - 13 volts with a multimeter after charge. (Depending if the surface charge has been removed) After fishing all day Saturday, the multimeter showed 12.38 for the battery and around 11.2 - 11-5 on the graphs. I haven't actually checked the voltage at the plug of power cable though. My charger is a mk330pc with the main batter bank set to agm.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Ok... maybe on to something now... the console unit will show about 11.9 and bow unit 11.6 to 11.7. I have a 1 year old Sam's duracell AGM group 31, 6g wire from battery to a master cut off switch, 10g wires from cut off switch to a blue seas fuse block located in my rod locker, 10g wiring from fuse block to each graph. I don't think I've ever seen either graph show over 12 volts, but the battery will show over 12.8 - 13 volts with a multimeter after charge. (Depending if the surface charge has been removed) After fishing all day Saturday, the multimeter showed 12.38 for the battery and around 11.2 - 11-5 on the graphs. I haven't actually checked the voltage at the plug of power cable though. My charger is a mk330pc with the main batter bank set to agm.
    That screen shot is with my bow Helix 12 when fishing an electric-only lake.

http://all-about-lead-acid-batteries...g-a-voltmeter/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    So... does my setup raise some red flags? Thanks Wayne.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

16. Member
    When I got home I checked my voltage at the plug ends of both graphs.... the battery read 12.87..... console graph cord read 12.86... and bow graph cord read 12.86 too. This was right after I unplugged the charger so no surface charge had been removed.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

When I got home I checked my voltage at the plug ends of both graphs.... the battery read 12.87..... console graph cord read 12.86... and bow graph cord read 12.86 too. This was right after I unplugged the charger so no surface charge had been removed.
    A voltage meter doesn't indicate the circuit capacity. A load on it does. What did the unit voltage readout show?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    A voltage meter doesn't indicate the circuit capacity. A load on it does. What did the unit voltage readout show?
    Ok... thanks... bare with me... I'm not the sharpest on loads and circuit capacity and such. I'll check it with graphs on.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

19. Member
    Here was my findings from the unit's voltage readouts tonight. I unplugged the charger, batteries were full charged, just sitting in standby mode. I plugged the cable collector in my console graph (helix 10 mega) and my bow graph (helix 12 mega). I then turned on the master switch I have for my electronics that powers the blue seas fuse block. Turning this switch on instantly powers up the 5 port ethernet switch. I then turned on both units to normal mode and also turned the power switch on for the 360. When everything booted up I then checked the voltage at the battery and read the readings from both units:
    AGM Battery = 12.63
    Console graph= 12.0
    Bow graph = 11.7

I then turned units off and switched to simulator mode. In simulator mode the graphs read:
    Console= 12.1
    Bow= 12.0

I left the graphs on, in simulator mode for 40 minutes. After that time, this was my readings:
    Battery= 12.63
    Console= 12.1
    Bow= 12.0

I then turned off the units and rebooted them in normal mode. The results were:
    Console= 11.9
    Bow= 11.6

So I guess I lied when I said my units have never displayed over 12.0, but I dont usually have voltage displayed either... unless I have a concern about something. And honestly after starting the motor a couple times... I would be surprised if the graphs did actually show over 12 for long.

So... does any of that info lead anyone to think I have a voltage or voltage drop issue that needs attention or should cause concern? Would the bow unit, or both units, benefit from bigger sized wiring from battery to fuse block and then to bow unit? Or does the voltage reading from the bow unit (or both units) seem ok? I do not have any corrosion issues with any of the connections or terminals, btw.
    Last edited by akaslyguy; 04-17-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Here was my findings from the unit's voltage readouts tonight. I unplugged the charger, batteries were full charged, just sitting in standby mode. I plugged the cable collector in my console graph (helix 10 mega) and my bow graph (helix 12 mega). I then turned on the master switch I have for my electronics that powers the blue seas fuse block. Turning this switch on instantly powers up the 5 port ethernet switch. I then turned on both units to normal mode and also turned the power switch on for the 360. When everything booted up I then checked the voltage at the battery and read the readings from both units:
    AGM Battery = 12.63
    Console graph= 12.0
    Bow graph = 11.7

I then turned units off and switched to simulator mode. In simulator mode the graphs read:
    Console= 12.1
    Bow= 12.0

I left the graphs on, in simulator mode for 40 minutes. After that time, this was my readings:
    Battery= 12.63
    Console= 12.1
    Bow= 12.0

I then turned off the units and rebooted them in normal mode. The results were:
    Console= 11.9
    Bow= 11.6

So I guess I lied when I said my units have never displayed over 12.0, but I dont usually have voltage displayed either... unless I have a concern about something. And honestly after starting the motor a couple times... I would be surprised if the graphs did actually show over 12 for long.

So... does any of that info lead anyone to think I have a voltage or voltage drop issue that needs attention or should cause concern? Would the bow unit, or both units, benefit from bigger sized wiring from battery to fuse block and then to bow unit? Or does the voltage reading from the bow unit (or both units) seem ok? I do not have any corrosion issues with any of the connections or terminals, btw.
    If you are not constantly charging the battery, it gets weaker with use. Also with any other device drawing power, that is even less available to support the units.
    A fully charged AGM battery is 12.8-12.9V.

https://www.energymatters.com.au/com...age-discharge/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast