Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tires wearing bad on the insides

I just made a trip from KY to FL and back, and my tires wore bad on the insides of both tires. One was worn down to the steel belt when I stopped and the other had all the tread worn down on the insides.

I don't know much about trailers as this is the first boat that I have owned. Late last spring I did run into a gas station post and it bent up the fender and side step a bit and I had it re-welded and thought all was good. I am now thinking that I may have bent the axle when I ran into that post. Either that or maybe the leaf springs are bad and it's just a coincidence? I don't think that is the case I am leaning more towards a bent axle from the little research I have done.

My question is what do you guys think it is? Here are some pictures of the tires and how they were wearing, I don't know if they help but figured it wouldn't hurt...

The one that was wore down to the steel belt was on the side that I hit the post on.

'06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

2. Member
    check you shackle bolts and the bushings in the springs. if you jack it up on the frame you will probably see a lot of movement in the shackle and the mounts.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Classic symptom of an overloaded axle, bent axle or less likely loose bearings.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Could be a bent axle that caused excessive toe-out. The tread shows the rubber being pulled toward the outside. If the bearings are properly set up, you're lucky you didn't have one OR two blowouts that ripped your fenders off.
    If the clearances of the bearings are right, there is an axle in your (immediate) future.

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Classic symptom of an overloaded axle, bent axle or less likely loose bearings.
    How would I tell if its an overloaded axle?

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Could be a bent axle that caused excessive toe-out. The tread shows the rubber being pulled toward the outside. If the bearings are properly set up, you're lucky you didn't have one OR two blowouts that ripped your fenders off.
    If the clearances of the bearings are right, there is an axle in your (immediate) future.
    Bearings are fine, about a year old and there is no play in them...

I am very lucky that the one tire didn't blow, I really don't know how it didn't to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    check you shackle bolts and the bushings in the springs. if you jack it up on the frame you will probably see a lot of movement in the shackle and the mounts.
    I will do this when I get a few spare moments this afternoon

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    How would I tell if its an overloaded axle?
    Since the bearings are good, you are looking at camber or toe problems. If you have negative camber, meaning the bottoms of the tires are further out that the tops, the tires will be riding on the inside of the tread instead of running with the tread flat. If you have excessive tow out, the front side of the tires are further out than the backs making the tire drag on the road as you tow.

My wild guess based just on your pictures is that you have a toe problem. The reason I say that is that your pictures don't appear to show any camber issues, and the wear seems really excessive for a camber issue that isn't obvious from a picture. But for it to be a toe problem, both spindles would probably have to have been bent back from incidents while towing. It doesn't take as much to bend a spindle as you might think.

Check out this post for details on measuring things to see what is going on.
    nothing else matters.​

Since the bearings are good, you are looking at camber or toe problems. If you have negative camber, meaning the bottoms of the tires are further out that the tops, the tires will be riding on the inside of the tread instead of running with the tread flat. If you have excessive tow out, the front side of the tires are further out than the backs making the tire drag on the road as you tow.

My wild guess based just on your pictures is that you have a toe problem. The reason I say that is that your pictures don't appear to show any camber issues, and the wear seems really excessive for a camber issue that isn't obvious from a picture. But for it to be a toe problem, both spindles would probably have to have been bent back from incidents while towing. It doesn't take as much to bend a spindle as you might think.

Check out this post for details on measuring things to see what is going on.
    I will follow the method in the post above this afternoon when I get home... Should I jack the trailer up on the frame or will it be fine to jack it up the same place as I normally do(where the leaf springs bolt on to the axle)?

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I will follow the method in the post above this afternoon when I get home... Should I jack the trailer up on the frame or will it be fine to jack it up the same place as I normally do(where the leaf springs bolt on to the axle)?
    I'd do the spring bolts
    nothing else matters.​

I'd do the spring bolts
    Okay, thank you. I will report back with my results.

12. Member
    do yourself a favor, esp if you pull the boat much. Go to axle joint and see what they say. My guess is you win a new axle. May as well get good rims and radial tires (at least D load) and be done with it. It would be of interest to know what your boat weighs as it sits on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    do yourself a favor, esp if you pull the boat much. Go to axle joint and see what they say. My guess is you win a new axle. May as well get good rims and radial tires (at least D load) and be done with it. It would be of interest to know what your boat weighs as it sits on the trailer.
    How would I go about getting a weight on just the boat?

Also, Should I get the Goodyear Endurance 205/75/R14's?

That SimpleTire place is running a flash sale and free shipping and it ends today...

Get your axel problem fixed first. Your severely toed out. Your axel and or spindles are bent. Goodyear endurance are great tires. Just don’t put them on yet.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Get your axel problem fixed first. Your severely toed out. Your axel and or spindles are bent. Goodyear endurance are great tires. Just don’t put them on yet.
    I am going to get the axle problem fixed asap, gotta be up and running for when it finally decides to get warm in KY! lol

I just wanted to go ahead and order the tires to have them once I take it to a shop in town to get the axle repaired. I am awaiting some quotes on labor to do it.

So from what you stated I should go ahead and pick up the tires at a good price?

17. Member
    How would I go about getting a weight on just the boat?
    I got mine online. Just type in specs for your make and model. I was somewhat surprised of my weight, esp for alum boat. 1100 for hull, 354 for engine. That right there puts my C-load tire to max. Add 3 batteries, trolling motor. I have a 25 gallon fuel tank, at 7 lbs per gallon. Need to add my spare tire as well. All this and I haven't even talked about a cooler and ANY of my fishing gear. Trip down the interstate and all that gentle bounce will do a number on weak tires and cheap axle.

I got mine online. Just type in specs for your make and model. I was somewhat surprised of my weight, esp for alum boat. 1100 for hull, 354 for engine. That right there puts my C-load tire to max. Add 3 batteries, trolling motor. I have a 25 gallon fuel tank, at 7 lbs per gallon. Need to add my spare tire as well. All this and I haven't even talked about a cooler and ANY of my fishing gear. Trip down the interstate and all that gentle bounce will do a number on weak tires and cheap axle.
    I did some googling as well... I was very surprised at how much weight the trailer is carrying.

As for the axle, she's definitely bent... Didn't have to use the method catfan posted as I just jacked up the trailer and gave the tire a spin and you could clearly see it wobbling.

So the plan is my father in law and I are going to change out the axle and while we're at it go ahead and replace the leaf springs, check and make sure the bearings are good and I will also be getting the Goodyear endurance tires as well as some aluminum wheels to mount them on

19. Member
    Your axle should come with bearings.

Your axle should come with bearings.
    I just checked and it doesn't come with bearings, I'm gonna buy a few extra sets to have just in case though

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast