Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ram 3500 and Arctic Fox 990

I pulled the trigger on a truck and camper. In the 90's we had a small Shadow Cruiser (had everything but bathroom) and a Sierra 2500 5.7L gas truck and a beat-up old boat.

Now I bought a 2016 Ram 3500 Big Horn crew cab long box DRW with the Cummins, 3.42 axle and the Chrysler transmission. Odo has little over 31,000 miles. It wasn't what I set out to buy, but it is where I ended up.

For the camper I went with a new Arctic Fox 990 which I will pick-up in several weeks. I spec'd it with thermal pane windows and the Mach 8 9000 btu AC unit, fox landing etc. I plan to also purchase a Honda EU2200i for power off grid and/or to charge boat batteries.

I read the "Truck Camper" post and enjoyed all the information there. I see there are some posters with substantial experience with the trucks, truck camper and boat trailering set-up. I liked the pictures of the rigs from LTZ25 and Therobzilla.

So here are a few questions I want to throw out, somewhat unconnected, but all related to truck camper stuff. You guys can help me spend my money (what little is left of it).

I'm going to need an extender hitch since the AF will hang over the back of the RAM. The camper dealer suggested a 34" curt extension. I looked up the spec on that and at 34" it is rated for 4500 lb max trailer weight and 450 lb max tongue weight without weight distribution. My Ranger Z521 trailer has a GTW of 5000 lbs. I've never had it across the scales, so I don't know how close it is to GTW, but I'm guessing it may exceed the extender rating. From what I found on line the next option is the super hitch and extender from torklift which list for almost $1200 (ouch!). What have you guys found out and how did you solve the extender challenge? Adding weight distribution/sway bars would allow me to use the Curt extender and be within spec, and it would be less expensive, but then I would have more crap to take off and store when I drop the camper at the campsite.

Back-up camera - I'm looking at wireless cameras. Ideally I would have two, one mounted center high on back wall of camper, and another on the truck (bumper?). I'm hoping the one up high will be able to see the hitch for backing-up. The other one mounted on the truck, I would like to have for when the camper and the truck tailgate are off the truck so I can see the hitch for backing up. Is there a system compatible with two styles of cameras, one for mounting on the camper and the other being perhaps a low profile camera to mount on the license plate screws? Can one toggle on the video screen to get the desired camera input? Any ideas?

To anyone living in hot regions like Arizona ... I'm a little concerned with the 9000 btu AC I will have on the camper. I lived in Arizona previously and plan to move back in the near future. The 9000 btu AC is small, but I think I will be ok since I generally try and avoid camping in the hottest weather ... if I'm in Phoenix in the summer, I drive to somewhere cooler to camp anyhow. When I lived in Arizona I always said I'd give up my truck camper air conditioner before I'd give up the furnace. Any comments on the size of that AC unit?

A rubber pad for the back of the truck ... I'm looking at the DeeZee pads. I see Chrysler accessories sells the pads too. Any experience or recommendations on this topic?

From looking at the other "Truck Camper" post, it looks like a lot of you use the 3500 Ram with the Cummins. I'm hoping that is a good sign. This will be my first Chrysler product and first diesel. The truck seems to get good performance reviews, I'm crossing my fingers that it will be reliable. The comments I've been reading about customer support from FCA, if things go bad, have not been glowing. How do you guys like the truck?

Thanks for any feedback!

I've run nothing but Dodge Cummins since about '93, I'm on Cummins #5, a 2015 3500. It's a good truck, I don't think as good as the 5.9s but still good. Mine have cost me almost nothing in repairs over the years, they have all been super dependable. I always am running with a pick up camper and a boat, no problems towing a BassCat Puma or Triton TRX21. I have always had 8 foot campers , so no advice on the extender hitch.

3. Member
    I too am just about to pull the trigger on a truck camper. Picked up my Chevy 3500 dually last week. As the wife gets more involved, the slide outs increase. 6000 lbs is a true wet weight for the Host Mammoth or the Eagle Cap 1200. I’ll be following this post.

Look at the Reese Titan Hitch 48" can be cut down to 42" (around $ 450.00) GTW 5,000 lbs
    I have one on Ford F-450 with Host Everest Truck Camper , don't have or need anti sway bars , and for camera I use a wireless with camera mounted in rear window off camper , works for me

2009 ELITE 210

5. Member
    Bill ... thanks for the hitch info. Not having the camper and truck together yet, I haven't measured first hand the length I can use, but based on what the dealer suggested is sounds like 34" is the number. I looked up the Reese Titan 48"/41" extender and as you said, 5000# weight carrying capacity. So perfect weight rating, but a bit long. Reese also has a 34"/24" extender, but the 34" weight carrying capacity is only rated at 4500#. Weird ... why would their shorter extender have a lower weight capacity?

As far as the camera goes, I'm trying to figure out the best set-up for both with camper on and with camper off truck, probably using two cameras, hopefully only one video screen.

Mike ... glad to hear the Dodge Cummins is working for you. I hope I'll be able to say the same.

Tailhooker ... what year is the Chevy? Did you go gas or diesel?

6. Member
    I talked to Reese customer support today ... great support by the way. The 48"/41" is a double tube construction, thus the higher weight capacity. Guess I could run with a longer extender than needed. They don't offer the 34"/28" with the same construction. Too bad.

7. Happiness is a Sporty! F150owner's Avatar
    From what I've read on the RV forums, the Honda 2200 will power the Mach 8 AC unit fine, moving up to an 11k BTU unit may require limitation on using AC and the microwave at the same time using the Honda 2200. This is if you want to upgrade the unit. Here is some info I've found and you can take it from there: https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...g/1/page/1.cfm

Allison XB21 2+2, Merc 250 ProXS, 1.62 Sportmaster, Hydromotive Engineering X-OB 29
    Excel 1751 Viper F4, Tohatsu 50 4-stroke, EZ-Trac trailer
    FeelFree Lure 11.5 Kayak

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tailhooker View Post
    I too am just about to pull the trigger on a truck camper. Picked up my Chevy 3500 dually last week. As the wife gets more involved, the slide outs increase. 6000 lbs is a true wet weight for the Host Mammoth or the Eagle Cap 1200. I’ll be following this post.
    How the heck much do those campers sell for, 60k?

9. Member
    Hi: I will see if I can help. For hitch extensions I have used torklift hitch on a chevy when I had a lance 820. They are a good hitch, probably the best, but very heavy. I have had for the last 10 yrs the Reese Titan truck hitch and the 48" extension on a Ford f350 dually with a Lance 1131 towing a 518 ranger, no problems with the hitch and will be towing a 520 this year. I have a wired camera on the Lance it is mounted up very high on the back wall of the camper(Mine is a side entry), with it tilted down so that I can see within a foot of trailer hook up i can still see cars behind the boat when towing. The 9k A/c is the way to go. I had one on my Lance 820, With the smaller btu the camper will be removed of humidity before the temperature drops too much. With the bigger a/c units the temps drop so quick you freeze your a$$ off before the humidity is removed, as with my Lance I have now. The type of rubber mat you get does not really matter just as long as you have one. Do not use a plastic box liner and a mat. You did not mention anything about camper tie downs. I have had both torklift and Happyjac, My preference would be the Happyjac system, I used the torklift system when I had my chevy and lance 820, And a Shadow cruiser as well. I went to the happyjac system 15 yrs ago for a Lance 1161 and now the 1131, both campers 11ft11" and heavy. The biggest reason I like the happyjac is that the system does not rust as bad as the forklift. Don't get me wrong the forklift system is good, I just couldn't deal with the tie down points being sprayed by road goo and rusting in front of my eyes. The last thing I can offer is get yourself a set of mount on level displays for the camper. Mount a set for side to side level as well as front to back level, In my opinion the most important thing you can get for your camper. Campers are just to big to guess at the level you might think the camper is.
    Mike

10. Member
    F150 and fast.5 - Thank you for the information. I looked at the link you provided F150. I'm confident the Honda 2200 will be sufficient to power the Mach 8 9000 Btu. fast.5 - Did you run your 9k unit in 100°F or higher ambient? The dealer in Phoenix equips the units with 11k Btu units, but no thermal panes. The dealer in the NE equips them with the 9k Btu units but with thermal panes. I think I'll be fine with the 9k Btu and thermal panes especially if coupled with closing shades, blocking the sun in the roof mounted windows and if possible parking in some shade. Good point on less humidity with less compressor cycling.

I'd like to use the 41" Reese Titan ... I'll have to see how much it is sticking out. A longer hitch extender may offer another benefit. I garage my boat, so if the camper is on, I'm guessing I won't be able to back the boat all the way in. A longer hitch will get me a little closer though. Otherwise, I may have to install a front hitch to push her in the rest of the way. I've still got my other tow vehicle for now, but it's going to have to go once I get the new one set-up.

I'm still checking out the cameras. That's helpful to know you can see to hook up trailer and still get a good view of traffic behind when towing. What system are you using? Is it wireless? Camera on with marker lights? How big of a monitor did you choose? I want one mounted on the camper for sure. The truck has a camera in the tailgate, so when camper is in storage, and I am just using truck to haul boat, I'm good there. I would still like a 2nd camera to mount on license plate for when I am out camping but with camper off truck at campsite and no tailgate so it is easy to hook up to trailer. I'm considering two possibilities ... one is a wireless license plate mounted camera that sends video to cell phone. The other option if I can figure out how to do it would be to hook an auxiliary camera to the camera harness from the tailgate and receive the signal in the OE center stack of the truck.

Copy that on the plastic box liner. I think I will go with the DeeZee mat, it had good reviews, costs around $75.

For tie downs, I already committed to the torklifts with fast guns. I hope to keep my truck out of the salt, but if I get into it, I'll be sure to hose them down. Happyjac's are stainless? I'm hoping torqlift has upgraded their system since you last bought them.

Thanks for the tip on the levelers, great idea. I used to carry one in my old camper, but mounting them is even better. Where did you mount yours?

I appreciate all the tips guys, keep 'em coming. I'll share my learnings too.

11. Member
    Just for fun ... here's a picture of my old rig. 1994 Shadow Cruiser and 1997 Sierra.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Here is a picture of the new (used) truck.

Congrats on your rig H2, you are going to love both of them. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 DW with a AF 990 and pull a Phoenix 721 that I believes weighs a little over 4500#. My truck came with a 12000# 2 1/2" hitch. I bought a Curt part #45048 2 1/2" extension which can be used at 36" which is good for 6000# or 24" which is good for 8000#. I use it at 24" and works fine for us. Just google curt part #45048 and you can find for a little over $100. If yours comes with the 2" hitch you might be able to change out to the 2 1/2" hitch. Curt has a 2 1/2" hitch which I believe is part #15800. You can google that and I believe you can buy for a little over $200. If my little bit of research is right it ends up being as heavy duty as you need and a lot less than $1200.
    Last edited by billsnp5; 04-18-2018 at 11:21 PM.

2013 721 Phoenix 250 Optimax Pro XS
    2020 Ram 3500
    2021 Host Cascade Truck Camper

14. Member
    Hi: As billsnp5 has said the curt might be a good choice for you. While on there web site they also make front hitches. We often are in the high 90's and with my lance 820 that was 8ft10" was never a problem in staying cool. My Lance 1131 with a tent has no problem staying cool with an 11k and it still cycles to much leaving you damp. The only temp difference in the 9k is it will take it longer to bring the temps down, it will have no problem keeping them there. The camera I have is a voyager made by jensen, 7" monitor, mine is hard wired. My monitor has velcro loops on the back of it so that it can go on the rear view mirror when the camper is on, it keeps it out of the way and removes in seconds. Happijac system is not stainless it just mounts half way up the truck bed, unlike the torklift that mounts under the truck bed. The level bubbles I mount one set on the front and back wall near the jacks, the other set I mount on a side wall near the jacks. Use a good 4 foot level to level out the camper before mounting the bubbles. Here is my second camper and my 5th, Many years between and the only way I would travel with my boat or atv's. And you get a bonus picture of my buddies boat, no idea how to remove.
    Mike

15. Member

And here is what I was trying to post
    Mike

16. Member
    billsnp5 - thanks for the info. Sounds like my set-up will be similar to yours. If I can use a 24" extension, that will give me the weight carrying capacity I need. My truck has the 2 1/2 inch receiver the Curt part number you called out should work for me.

fast.5 - nice pics. Both old rig and new rig look great. For the camera that I want to mount on the camper I was looking at the Voyager wireless with the 4" monitor. Camper dealer told me if he mounts one he can't wire it into the marker lights. Something about the latest roof design on the Arctic Fox. Instead they splice into a light above the door and add a switch there ... so you have to go out and switch the camera on. I'll try and figure out something better. Thanks for all the tips.

17. Member
    Been AWOL but some very imformative posts since I last looked. I did commit to the Host Cascade. Now I'm in denial about having to remove my new class V hitch and install the Torklift Original 20k. I've made over 6 calls to dealers in parts of the country that deal with heavy truck campers and want to pull a boat. They ALL say the factory hitch is inadequate and suggest the Torklift Original or the Magnum 30k, with the Supertruss Extension. So that's the direction I'm persuing...All it takes is money.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.5 View Post
    Hi: As billsnp5 has said the curt might be a good choice for you. While on there web site they also make front hitches. We often are in the high 90's and with my lance 820 that was 8ft10" was never a problem in staying cool. My Lance 1131 with a tent has no problem staying cool with an 11k and it still cycles to much leaving you damp. The only temp difference in the 9k is it will take it longer to bring the temps down, it will have no problem keeping them there. The camera I have is a voyager made by jensen, 7" monitor, mine is hard wired. My monitor has velcro loops on the back of it so that it can go on the rear view mirror when the camper is on, it keeps it out of the way and removes in seconds. Happijac system is not stainless it just mounts half way up the truck bed, unlike the torklift that mounts under the truck bed. The level bubbles I mount one set on the front and back wall near the jacks, the other set I mount on a side wall near the jacks. Use a good 4 foot level to level out the camper before mounting the bubbles. Here is my second camper and my 5th, Many years between and the only way I would travel with my boat or atv's. And you get a bonus picture of my buddies boat, no idea how to remove.
    Mike
    If you can't have fun with that rig then your just not a happy person .

19. Member
    First weekend of good weather and I had to fly out of town. Have not had my boat out yet, usually out for about 4 weekends by now!

I took delivery of the Ram last week, and had no time to really check it out. I purchased it out of state, relied on sales guy for information. So far no surprises. Anyway, on Sunday my wife and I took it for a ride. We did about a 40 mile loop from the house that included suburban and highway driving. No city stop and go stuff. Had some decent grades included. Drove speed limit everywhere which was 70 mph on highway. According to trip computer 18+ mpg. If that's accurate, I'll happily take it. Not that I plan on driving it empty all that much, normally it will have either the camper or boat or both.

My tow vehicle since 2007 has been a Chevy Avalanche LTZ, the latest one a 2011 model. Beautiful truck with a great ride. So that's my reference point even though it is apples to oranges with the Ram 3500. I knew it was going to be a big change and also by buying a mid-trim level, I'm giving up some stuff. So anyway some impressions after first ride ... Ram interior quieter than I expected with the Cummins engine, quite nice. Fuel economy seemed good as mentioned above. A few bumpy transmissions shifts. Wind noise more than I expected, but then I had radio off and was listening for stuff. Truck is nicely appointed for a mid-trim level, and the storage bins at various places in the cab are really nice. I'll miss self dimming side mirrors. Ride is what I expected from a HD truck. Steering seemed ok, not great, seemed just a little loose. LED lighting in bed and the truck camper/5th wheel electrical outlet in the bed are nice. One little thing that bugged me was that the rear camera turns off the moment you shift from R to D. The Chevy leaves the camera on until speed (or timer?) go over a threshold which is nice if you need to pull forward slightly to realign when connecting hitch. Anyway, the Ram has the payload capacity I need. So long as it is reliable, I'll be happy.

I ordered a DeeZee bed mat, Mopar floor mats and a drop hitch for towing without the camper. Hope to tow to the lake this weekend and check the fuel economy for a 120 mile round trip run. Low of 36 and high of 52 for coming Saturday. Why do I live here?

After climbing in and out of the cab a few times, I think I'll be adding some step bars. I'll be able to start keeping my wallet in the back pocket again ... keeps getting thinner.

20. Banned
    I have a 2017 Ford F-350 with a 2015 Lance 855s. I use the Voyager wireless camera it came on camper, a 48 inch Reese hitch with Torklift fastguns. I did have a 2004 820 with a wooden frame and no slide out. My wife always says there goes 160,000 Bucks down the road. I also use a DEE ZEE bed mat. You will love the TC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast