Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I went with the Torklift stable loads, the lower set. Ordered from etrailer on Wednesday, had them by Friday. I talked to Torklift rep first, he told me if I didn't like them, he would give me a 30 day money back guarantee, I just pay to ship them back. Sounded fair enough, so I bought them. Put them on Saturday morning. I was skeptical about the fit initially, thought there might be a clearance issue, but once bolted up, I watched the suspension travel and all was good. I've driven perhaps 40 miles with the camper since installing them, only on two lane rural roads so far. Big improvement. Firmer ride, less bounce, less sway. Took my wife out and she commented on the improvement within a mile of leaving house.

With the camper off, the stable loads easily swing between engaged and disengaged using a 3/8" drive ratchet.

I'll try them out for a few trips, and if I want more improvement, then I'll go with the airbags as you recommended 707Utte.

I got the extender hitch all together today and took the entire rig for a test ride. I was a little worried about the departure angle on the driveway, but it cleared fine. Camera monitor is mounted too.

One benefit to not getting the built in gen set is I have room to carry my grill. I found a little charbroil with latching lid that just fits. If I take a portable gen set, then that space will be used up though.

Attaching a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I used Stableloads on my 3500 SRW with my Heavy Lance and they were all I ever needed. Even over multiple multi-thousand mile trips all over Rocky Mountain back roads.

A lot of advice comes from guys that have only ever driven older trucks with campers. The trucks built in the last few years are a totally different animal when it comes to handling a load.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    A lot of advice comes from guys that have only ever driven older trucks with campers. The trucks built in the last few years are a totally different animal when it comes to handling a load.

4. Member
    Think you will like em H2Power....if you do step up to the bags remember to get the remote so it will give the wife something to play with while driving

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 707Utte View Post
    My 3500 SRW has a GVWR of about 1000# more than an older DRW but so what about the numbers.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    My 3500 SRW has a GVWR of about 1000# more than an older DRW but so what about the numbers.

What about the numbers? Don’t think your 3500 weighs more than my FIL 3500 ‘16 that we use daily. As for my “old built truck”. My truck is far from stock and handles and pulls as well or better than his, in his words...lol. He will be having me do a few similar mods to his once his warranty is up. So even though I do own an old truck I’d be willing to bet I know a lot more than you think about these new trucks, including suspensions promise that

Sorry H2Power for getting off track some,lol...I won’t respond back to fly....keep us posted on how she does pulling and handling your set-up and if you need any help with the performance of your truck there’s a few of us on here that can help with that as well

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 707Utte View Post

What about the numbers? Don’t think your 3500 weighs more than my FIL 3500 ‘16 that we use daily. As for my “old built truck”. My truck is far from stock and handles and pulls as well or better than his, in his words...lol. He will be having me do a few similar mods to his once his warranty is up. So even though I do own an old truck I’d be willing to bet I know a lot more than you think about these new trucks, including suspensions promise that

Sorry H2Power for getting off track some,lol...I won’t respond back to fly....keep us posted on how she does pulling and handling your set-up and if you need any help with the performance of your truck there’s a few of us on here that can help with that as well
    Web warriors... always looking to win at something.

Btw weight and GVWR are totally different things. Do a little research. And you just proved my point. It takes a "far from stock" old truck to compare to a stock new truck.

8. Member
    I just have to comment again, you have an awesome rig!

9. Member
    Thanks perfect-storm ... it's coming together.

Took the first trip with boat and camper, about 500 miles round trip. Fuel economy with camper and hauling boat and driving 65-70 mph was 10.6-10.7 mpg.

The ride with the lower stable loads - awesome. Bounce and sway a non-issue. Still want to evaluate ride over a long haul with camper only (no trailer).

Ride height - I measured at a rest stop with fairly level ground from ground to center of wheel opening:
    LF - 39 3/4
    LR - 39 1/8
    RF - 39 1/4
    RR - 39 1/8

I also ran the rig over the CAT scales:
    Front Axle 5280 lbs (6000 lb rating)
    Rear Axle 8520 (9750 lb rating)
    Tongue weight 300 lbs, from previous measurement, extension hitch rated for 450 lbs
    Trailer axles weighed 4500 lbs on the nose, extension hitch rated for 4500 lbs. Boat fuel tank full (50 gallons) and boat loaded with gear.

Truck total payload 13800 lbs with 40 gallon water, 60 lb propane, 1/2 tank fuel (16 gallons), food and gear. Truck GVWR is 14000 lbs.
    The GCW was 18300 lbs with a GCWR of 25300 lbs.

I was very happy with the truck performance. I tried driving a little slower, but it wants to go. Eventually just set cruise to 70 and let her go. Ride and handling were great. I wish the steering was a little tighter, but I think I'm just spoiled from other vehicles I drive.

10. Member
    More camera stuff ....

I posted a picture earlier of a view from the camera monitor. It was pointed down so I could see the hitch. I'm attaching another picture with the camera adjusted for a wide view … this is how I set it once the hitch is connected. Great for running down the road or for backing-up.

The other picture is of the auxiliary OE Mopar camera. With the camper off, and the tailgate off there is no camera. So the auxiliary camera gives me the view through the center stack monitor I want for connecting truck to trailer when the camper is dismounted. The tech down at the local Chrysler dealer understood what I wanted to do and was super helpful finding the harness connections I needed. Anyway, for the weekend I just quick rigged it on the truck and it did the job. When I have some time I'll try and do a nice job mounting it. Harness pn's for anyone with similar truck who wants to do the same are:
    68189124AC and 68096415AC. The Mopar camera I found on Amazon for $85. with harnesses the total cost was $150. I did not take a picture of the view on the center stack, but it was good enough to line up the hitch.

11. Member
    A follow-up to the posts about the suspension enhancements on the truck. I am still very satisfied with the stable loads TLA7310. During a trip last fall we did some night driving and enough oncoming traffic flashed their highbeams at us to let me know the rear was a bit too low. After getting back, I added Firestone airbags F2560. With these, I can give the rear a little bit of lift, about an inch with pressure between 15-50 psi. We took a 4500 mile trip this spring and I am satisfied with the combination of the stable loads and airbags. I like that both can be "disengaged" when load is empty. On our trip we dropped the camper at the campground and drove around for 10 days empty. In my opinion the two suspension enhancements compliment each other with the airbags providing the needed lift and the stable loads engaging the overload spring earlier.

707Utte - I did not spring for the remote compressor control. The combination of me being cheap and lazy stopped me I guess. Plus I wanted to see how I would like the airbags. I mounted the fill valves on the front camper tie down mount driver's side and I can hit them pretty easy with my portable compressor. If I want to add the on board compressor with remote I can always do it later. I did get her some new steps for getting in and out of the truck though!

12. Member
    I have the very same camper bought in 2015, it's on a 08 chevy duramax one ton. I need a camera for sure though, just haven't found one that I like for the money.

13. Member
    Great progress and explanaitions from everyone. Hoping to get into the truck camping world soon and trying to get all the research I can find about them before jumping in without any clue on how things work. Different beasts compered to any bumper pull camper I have dealt with! Awesome setup you have!
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123