Tungsten and knots

Had my first experience where I felt my tungsten wt (no insert type) broke my knot. Can’t be 100% sure but it was a fresh knot and I had caught a fish albeit not a large one just prior. Not fishing rock, and no fray at the end where it broke. But got me to thinking how many put another bobber stop or something between their at and hook?
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

2. Member
    I use a bobber stop sometimes, straight shank with a snell not will fix that too.

3. Member
    Take a Q-Tip in run it in and out of the weight a couple times. If any of the fibers are getting snagged then it's the weight. If not, then it's likely the knot. Changing the knot won't help any I don't think because you'll be at just as much risk of slicing your line above the knot too.

I’ve had this happen before. Now all my tungsten weights get a polishing before they ever see a line. Just take some super fine grit sand paper or emery cloth and make a couple wraps around a small drill bit and run it through for about 30 secs or so. Takes any remnant burrs right out if there are any.

Of course I say all this with the assumption there are others like me that used the plastic to hide the knot. No idea how you rig your baits, but that might help as well.

Agree with Aaric...if it's cutting your line without a fray, it'll cut the mainline just as easy as it'll cut the knot. I am surprised there was no fray, though.

The bobber stop will work, else try this:
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Agree with Aaric...if it's cutting your line without a fray, it'll cut the mainline just as easy as it'll cut the knot. I am surprised there was no fray, though.

The bobber stop will work, else try this:
    That's genius! Thanks for sharing!

6. Member
    Thanks, that sinker was used in pre fish and week prior with no issues. Obviously don’t have it anymore to check. I like the Strader idea. Will try it.
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

7. Member
    Been doing shrink tubing inserts for years now. Never a break off with this technique. Take the time to do it, you won’t be sorry.