Governor might be ice fishing for opener

WILLMAR — The 71st annual Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener is only 28 days away, and local organizers say there is a whopping 25 inches of ice to melt off Green Lake — site of this year's Governor's Opener — by May 12.

http://www.wctrib.com/sports/outdoor...out-green-lake

Crazy!

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I will be shocked if Rainy is open for the Opener.

3. Member
    i looked back at temps from 2013 (we had a lot of lakes that were not open) and we still have a chance if we don't see any more ridiculous temps. also need some really nice sixty degree days as well. I'm sure i'll be going south for opener.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

4. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AgAuthority View Post
    WILLMAR — The 71st annual Minnesota Governor's Fishing Opener is only 28 days away, and local organizers say there is a whopping 25 inches of ice to melt off Green Lake — site of this year's Governor's Opener — by May 12.

http://www.wctrib.com/sports/outdoor...out-green-lake

Crazy!

Ag
    I bet we're going to see one the worst winterkills in decades with this prolonged winter. Ice out should be happening about now, but instead most lakes are blacked out with 2' of ice and 1' of snow!

Freaking miserable!!!

6. Member
    Dec 4th was almost 70 deg. I ran the boat in the front yard and the lakes had opened back up. Not likely to have any difference for winter kill based on time we have ice since it came so late. I would like to hit the lakes soon.. how about some wind and rain to beat the ice down..

Winter kill has a lot to do with h light penetration as well, snow blow strips on your ponds if your worried
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089