Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helix 10, Helix 9 First time use,some questions

Took out the new units this week and had some questions. Helix 10 MEGA SI GPS, Helix 9 MEGA DI GPS with trolling motor puck for transducer.

AutoChart Live was a waste this time as my depths kept changing for some reason pretty drastically. only a shallow river and it would go from 6' to 39' then 200' etc. not always but enough to mess the mapping up.

Both units would always show me in both Sonar and DS, Double the signal ex: 6' of water, it would show 12' and both were set to AUTO bottom. ?

Can the Side Scan have the "range" lines for 10; 20' 40' etc off to each side?

If I am driving along I seem to lose side scan around 8-10mph is this normal? I cant recall what my old HDS use to do.

If my sidescan is running, and I want to "go back/trackback" I feel that if its off the screen already, its gone for good? Is that the case?

Thanks for all help and I did do a factory update and reset on both devices after testing them. The 10 was already up to date and the 9 was one behind.

Post a picture of your Side Imaging transducer installation.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member

Last edited by jgoucher12; 04-16-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Looks like a Tracker hull with the stepped transom and a year model prior to 2012.
    You have the transducer on the transom aft of the transom step. It gets less water across it as the speed increases.

There is no place on the transom part that the motor is mounted that is suitable for more than slow idle speed if you want 2D sonar at any speed higher than that. Even the factory installed Lowrance 2D transducer was in the wrong place and had been since the stepped hull was made on up to the 2012 models when they finally had some sense and put it where it could work.
    That location is down on the step itself where the hull drain and livewell fittings are---like at the bottom of the hull.
    I have a 2009 Tracker and was a victim of that "oversite".

This is a 2012 Tracker with transom transducer installed so it can work:

Once you duplicate that, then you may have better performance. Several examples on the tin boat forum if you care to search for them.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by jgoucher12 View Post
    Took out the new units this week and had some questions. Helix 10 MEGA SI GPS, Helix 9 MEGA DI GPS with trolling motor puck for transducer.

AutoChart Live was a waste this time as my depths kept changing for some reason pretty drastically. only a shallow river and it would go from 6' to 39' then 200' etc. not always but enough to mess the mapping up.

Both units would always show me in both Sonar and DS, Double the signal ex: 6' of water, it would show 12' and both were set to AUTO bottom. ?

Can the Side Scan have the "range" lines for 10; 20' 40' etc off to each side?

If I am driving along I seem to lose side scan around 8-10mph is this normal? I cant recall what my old HDS use to do.

If my sidescan is running, and I want to "go back/trackback" I feel that if its off the screen already, its gone for good? Is that the case?

Thanks for all help and I did do a factory update and reset on both devices after testing them. The 10 was already up to date and the 9 was one behind.
    Part two reply:

Yes, there are Side Imaging range lines if you turn them on. Sonar main menu SI Range Lines---ON.

No Helix models have track-back.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    Wayne as always TY, so to summarize, until I get a non 1999 bass tracker, I am fine with just keeping it where it is? Nothing I can do that will really help?

What about the "double echo" or double depth that I seem to be getting?

Having no Trackback certainly stinks not sure why I figured that would be a given since my 5+yr old Lowrances always had it. But it is what it is.

7. Member
    Also

So I went out and purchased Two 32GB SD Cards, I am assuming I can place both of these into my Helix units (bow and console) and then always save my ACL to these cards? Should I use the "encryption" from the units? Not sure what that does.

Also, would I need to buy TWO Zero Card Lines, In order to see ACL data on both the BOW and Transom? If so I will buy them today. In fact perhaps my assumption of the TWO 32GB cards I mentioned above is incorrect, I need Zero Line Cards for ACL ONLY yes?

What does having the normal blank SD cards do for me? Just updates?

Thanks, and sorry I'm still a bit confused when it comes to the Cards and maps, as I also have the SmartStrike CHIP and hoping that just gets popped into my unit and works on lakes that it has. When I see "Chart options", Then it says "Lake List" is that a selectable lake list via the SMARTSTRIKE card or the actual build in Maps? TY as usual!

Also

So I went out and purchased Two 32GB SD Cards, I am assuming I can place both of these into my Helix units (bow and console) and then always save my ACL to these cards? Should I use the "encryption" from the units? Not sure what that does.
    ACL files can only be transferred to a Zero Line Card.
    Encryption is done to purchase and download a Chart Select map.

Also, would I need to buy TWO Zero Card Lines, In order to see ACL data on both the BOW and Transom? If so I will buy them today. In fact perhaps my assumption of the TWO 32GB cards I mentioned above is incorrect, I need Zero Line Cards for ACL ONLY yes?
    Yes

What does having the normal blank SD cards do for me? Just updates?
    Do software updates
    Do screen snapshots
    Do RECORDings to view sonar data (like the Simulator) and make Auto Chart maps via computer software.
    Do Waypoint management

Thanks, and sorry I'm still a bit confused when it comes to the Cards and maps, as I also have the SmartStrike CHIP and hoping that just gets popped into my unit and works on lakes that it has. When I see "Chart options", Then it says "Lake List" is that a selectable lake list via the SMARTSTRIKE card or the actual build in Maps? TY as usual!
    Lake list is the waters that are on the map card.
    SmartStrike is a fish location prediction software for the Lakemaster HD waters on the card.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    You're the best Wayne, TY.. Any ideas on the "double depth" issue? Thanks

You're the best Wayne, TY.. Any ideas on the "double depth" issue? Thanks
    I take care of a depth readout issue with a Sensitivity adjustment and Switchfire Clear. Some do other adjustments. You can do a site search to see what others are trying.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I take care of a depth readout issue with a Sensitivity adjustment and Switchfire Clear. Some do other adjustments. You can do a site search to see what others are trying.

Wayne: I have the same issue I think OP is talking about on double depth reading. I have a nephew, mine and a friend with Helix 9 Chrip Mega SI GPS G2N that all do the same thing. The depth on screen display is correct but the overlay depth reading number will double and triple at times in water 10' and less. Sensitivity etc. has no effect on the overlay number. We just wrote it off as software issue and would be corrected on later update, this is just my guess no one has verified this. It does not stay constant just happens at times and corrects it self after several seconds or you get to deeper water.

12. Member
    I am taking my units back on the water tomorrow after recent updates and factory resets, if they both still show the same symptoms, I will be disappointed and more than likely to refund both units. Hoping for the best.

13. Member
    I am taking my units back on the water tomorrow after recent updates and factory resets, if they both still show the same symptoms, I will be disappointed and more than likely to refund both units. Hoping for the best.
    When you're in skinny water, set the max depth to more than the actual depth, but less than double that. Should fix it.

I have found my Helix 10 SI G2N to be the worst finder in water under 3' that I've ever had. Especially if the transducer gets in the mud or grass. It will start reading things like 346' and back to 37' and generally just go crazy. Sometimes, it even has trouble resetting itself after getting back into deeper water. Turning sonar off and back on is sometimes the only remedy.

I've just come to the mindset that if I'm in that shallow of water, what difference does it make if it's 3'2" or 2'8"?
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I have found my Helix 10 SI G2N to be the worst finder in water under 3' that I've ever had. Especially if the transducer gets in the mud or grass. It will start reading things like 346' and back to 37' and generally just go crazy. Sometimes, it even has trouble resetting itself after getting back into deeper water. Turning sonar off and back on is sometimes the only remedy.

I've just come to the mindset that if I'm in that shallow of water, what difference does it make if it's 3'2" or 2'8"?
    Exactly. If I'm in water skinny enough that I can see the bottom, the depth doesn't really matter so much. And in those cases, I'm on the deck fishing, not running the outboard, so.. LOL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Exactly. If I'm in water skinny enough that I can see the bottom, the depth doesn't really matter so much. And in those cases, I'm on the deck fishing, not running the outboard, so.. LOL

To clarify I'm not referring to water so shallow XDCR is dragging on bottom, I'm referring say 6/7/8' and getting good depth display but overlay number could be anywhere from correct (6/7/8') to read 12' to say 20'. Like I said no biggie it usually corrects it self in a few second or when water gets deeper.

17. Member
    Right, I don't care if I am in 2' of water, but for sure when I am in 6-10. and I should not have to do anything at all for the $$ spent on these units to just "live with it" just not how it works for me , I would at that point go back to lowrance, but I cant tell you how much I really just want these HBs to Work tomorrow. We will see ty all

Right, I don't care if I am in 2' of water, but for sure when I am in 6-10. and I should not have to do anything at all for the $$ spent on these units to just "live with it" just not how it works for me , I would at that point go back to lowrance, but I cant tell you how much I really just want these HBs to Work tomorrow. We will see ty all
    Couldn't agree more. Have your talked to Humminbird Customer Service? I'd be interested to know what they say.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

19. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I generally do the same as what Wayne does, but I also turn the surface clarity up or down (for less displayed junk) and it locks on better.

My 1199 would do the double depth thing occasionally too - but it never bothered me, I'd rather have a unit that shows me stuff than one that locks on perfect and is as blind as a bat (for targets).

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

20. Member
    Well it still happened today, Not so much the jumping around to crazy deep depths although a few times when in shallow water. But ultimately it shows double depth constantly, I even called HB support while on the water and they asked me to mess with sensitivity, and also change MAX depth to something manual, still did not work. VERY disappointing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast