Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex vs. Ulerra

Tried this on the TM page with no luck. Other than auto store and deploy what is the difference in the two? Does anyone know of any problems that the Ulterra has seen since it's release? Finally, will the Ulterra fit over the holes of an Fortrex?

Thanks!

I was told it would go in the same holes as a Fortrexx. I can tell you for sure in a day or two . Mine should be here tomorrow. The Ultrexx is what I have on the way .

3. Banned
    Cable steer on the Ultrex. Drive-by-wire on the Ulterra

4. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Better mount on the ultrex and cable power assist steering with all the Benefit of ipilot .Yes the ultrex is the better.

5. Member
    Love my Ultrex. Yes, it fits in the same holes as the Fortrex.

Both are great motors! The Ultrex fits in the same holes as the Fortrex ... not sure about the Ulterra. I guess it depends on your style of fishing. The Ultex stows and deploys exactly like a Fortrex which is perfect or bass fishing .. AND I can put a transducer (Lowrance HDI) on the trolling motor without having the wire hanging or having to use that weird looking "curly tube" thingy. I have a friend who has trouble getting around so the power stow and deploy on the Ulterra is perfect for him. Again, just depends on what you're looking for and your style of fishing.

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Ultrex is my choice unless you fish alone and need the power stow and deploy. I have installed several Ulterra's for older customers and they love the auto stow and deploy.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

8. Member
    The reason I'm thinking about an Ulterra is because I've had back surgery (rods and pins) and I've had both shoulders replaced. It just seems that the Ulterra with auto stow and deploy would be a better fit for me. But if the Ultrex is that much better than the Ulterra I'll go that route.

Thanks for the feedback!

9. Banned
    Well in a nutshell do you like the pedal on cable steer trolling motor, or do you like a pedal that you can’t “feel” and uses a remote some. That’s basically all you need to ask yourself to get the answer your looking for. Just two completely different trolling motors.

10. Member
    Ooh,

That’s a tough call. I mean, I’d get the ultrex (and ordered one) over the Ulterra because the it turns faster than the Ulterra and terrova (I had a Terrova and it still turned fast enough for MOST applications).

But in your situation, if you have a Fortrex or something similar now, you already know what the stow and deploy will be like with the Ultrex and I could definitely see the benefits to the Ulterra.

Couple that with the lower profile pedal and it would be almost perfect for you I would think.
    Last edited by Lape0019; 04-17-2018 at 05:46 PM.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    The reason I'm thinking about an Ulterra is because I've had back surgery (rods and pins) and I've had both shoulders replaced. It just seems that the Ulterra with auto stow and deploy would be a better fit for me. But if the Ultrex is that much better than the Ulterra I'll go that route.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I must use oxygen some of the time. Found with raising and lowering trolling motor I needed it. I went with the Ulterra and it was for me the best move I've made. But then again I do not fish a lot of docks either. IMO if dock fishing is the only thing you do it will take a lot of practice to be good with the steer by wire of the Ulterra.

Tough call...I think you need to try to test drive each to see the actual difference in steering in them.
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

13. Member
    What do folks mean by "steer by wire"? Does the Ulterra stear differently than my Fortrex that I currently have now?

14. Member
    By wire means electronically. No connected steel cable running from foot pedal to trolling motor head that steers the trolling motor. By wire is movement of foot pedal generates an electric signal that is sent to trolling motor head that then steers the trolling motor.

Pretty much like cars nowadays are drive by wire vice metal cable from gas pedal to carburetor.
    92 492vs. 92 Suzuki 225 EFI

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan 492VS View Post
    By wire means electronically. No connected steel cable running from foot pedal to trolling motor head that steers the trolling motor. By wire is movement of foot pedal generates an electric signal that is sent to trolling motor head that then steers the trolling motor.

Pretty much like cars nowadays are drive by wire vice metal cable from gas pedal to carburetor.
    So basically what this means you won’t be able to “feel” which direction your motor is turning. Most people can run their fortrex blindfolded. I don’t Think you would ever be able to do the ulterra

Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    So basically what this means you won’t be able to “feel” which direction your motor is turning. Most people can run their fortrex blindfolded. I don’t Think you would ever be able to do the ulterra
    I can run my Ulterra without looking at it for an hour or more; often while casting from the back of the boat with a fishing partner in the front.

Can't do that with an Ultrex.

Maintaining constant and perfect boat control for two fisherman in a crosswind is so much easier with an Ulterra.

17. Member
    Ultrex is far more responsive when it comes to steering if you are trying to avoid stumps, laydowns etc. One other thing to think about if you are ever going to want 360 imaging you cannot mount it on the Ulterra you will have to get a transom mount unit. Ultrex accepts the 360 transducer.

18. Member
    I have fished out of boats with both motors, personally I would choose ultrex because of the spot lock. 10 ft. diameter with ulterra and 2ft. diameter with the ultrex....
    Mike Matthews

U.S.N. 1963-1969

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    I have the Ulterra on my Ranger RB190. There is the ability to add a foot switch if you want. I operate the TM from the back of the boat and have not had any trouble. The remote as very easy to use. I find that I use the autopilot the most as I will put the boat on a heading. The spot lock is awesome and allows fishing in windy conditions. I do not have an anchor on my new boat and will wait to see if I need one. I know one of the posts said that the spot lock was a 10 foot circle and mine seems more accurate. I have the ability "jog" 5 feet in any direction. There are times when I will do this-bump 5 feet to follow the fish.

20. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The gen 2 ulterra has the better spot lock. My ulterra is the cat's meow. The foot pedal is more flat and takes no time to get used to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast