Thread: Accident

CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar

Accident

Just read on facebook about a boating accident at the mouth of Mattawoman creek. One body has been recovered. Any input on this guys?

2. Member
    Only what you said. 15 foot bass boat at the mouth of Mattawoman and Coast Guard searching is all the extra I have. Conditions are going to worsen with 2-3 inches of rain forecast for tonight.

3. Member
    15 foot boat at the mouth of that creek is nuts, especially if there are any type of winds involved. Hope they find the PIW.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    15 foot boat at the mouth of that creek is nuts, especially if there are any type of winds involved. Hope they find the PIW.
    You're right about the mouth of Mattawoman, but a 15ft boat is crazy anywhere on the main stem with today's conditions. 12mph with gust to 28mph according to accuweather and will only get worse with the front that's pushing through today. Prayers for the families. So sad.
    Last edited by AdamB; 04-15-2018 at 07:10 PM.

5. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    This is very very sad. I will be down there this week getting ready for the BFL. And planned on spending a lot of time in Mattawoman. Hopefully the weather is good and hope they find the person...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyisback44 View Post
    This is very very sad. I will be down there this week getting ready for the BFL. And planned on spending a lot of time in Mattawoman. Hopefully the weather is good and hope they find the person...
    Scotty, weather should calm down and be beautiful after tomorrow throught next weekend. Good luck at the BFL!!

7. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Scotty, weather should calm down and be beautiful after tomorrow throught next weekend. Good luck at the BFL!!
    Thanks man. Gonna need over 20 pounds I think from what Ive been researching. And the weather does look good but I trust that forecast about as much as I trust my fishing partner to back up the boat

8. Member

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyisback44 View Post
    I trust that forecast about as much as I trust my fishing partner to back up the boat
    Roger that!

10. Member
    Very sad. It’s called the Mighty Potomac for a reason. Conditions can change very quickly. It’s nothing to take lightly
    05’ Skeeter TZX200, Yamaha 200hp HPDI
    00’ Skeeter SX186, Yamaha 150hp VMax.
    PRO-FORMANCE FISHING TEAM.

11. mikesxpress
    Small craft warning was in place. SSW13 mpg gusting to 31. Tide was going out against the wind building swells well above normal. No one should have been out there regardless of boat length.

12. Member
    I put in at Mattawoman yesterday morning. Conditions were the best they have been for days but mother nature was not playing nice. This is the photo I took running up the River from Mattawoman to Piscataway Creek at approximately 7:45.

Wind and rain came in approximately 11:30. It only lasted for a short period and then things calmed down up river enough for me to get back to Mattawoman at approximately 12:45. That's when I noticed all the emergency vehicles and rescue boats. My hart sank as my thoughts and prayers went out to whoever was in trouble. The only thing I can think is that they went out during the worst part of the storm trying to get back to the VA side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Luther Cosner
    Chico and the boys
    2001 520vx Comanche
    225 Merc. Opti

13. Member
    Was in Mattawoman about 1000 yesterday. At 1118 front hit, high wind and light showers. In 20' boat I would not have and didn't move, wind stayed up until about 1:30 or so, whitecaps everywhere. Settled down after that. I didn't see anyone searching when I left at 2:40. Sad, but will tell you I have told folks launching at Leesylvania in small john boats how rough it is--some heeded my advice, others didn't. Prayers to the family.