Thread: Prop question

Question Prop question

My 2016 PUMA/250 SHO has a 26 T1, VMax SHO prop. On my handy dandy Yamaha app, that have a page for Performance Bulletins. The PUMA/250 SHO tested there has a 27 pitch prop. I have issues getting it above 5800 RPM (part of it is lack of driving skill). If I go to a 27 pitch, does that enable the engine to turn more RPM with a compromised hole shot? I get the pitch thing confused.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My 2016 PUMA/250 SHO has a 26 T1, VMax SHO prop. On my handy dandy Yamaha app, that have a page for Performance Bulletins. The PUMA/250 SHO tested there has a 27 pitch prop. I have issues getting it above 5800 RPM (part of it is lack of driving skill). If I go to a 27 pitch, does that enable the engine to turn more RPM with a compromised hole shot? I get the pitch thing confused.
    Higher pitch will turn less rpm. Stay with your 26p until you get the hang of driving, and in the summer it's prob going to be the right prop anyway.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    My reflexes are too old anymore to get the hang of driving, but I will stay with the 26.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    My reflexes are too old anymore to get the hang of driving, but I will stay with the 26.
    If you arent trying to wring every last mph out of it and want to improve holeshot, try to find someone that will let you try a 25p. With the 6200 rpm limiter on the SHO, you have the room to run one anyway right now, and might be even better in the summer for you too. If you are ever at Hartwell I have some props you can try too.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

The Yamaha Performance Bulletins would be considered as running extremely "light". Yes - full tank of gas, 3 batteries, trolling motor, and "test" equipment. It's unrealistic to believe an angler wont be running with 4 batteries, tackle, filled livewells, ect..... The 26 pitch vs. 27 pitch is accounting for all of the additional weight you'll be putting in the boat.

Most all performance bulletins are without any tackle and livewell. They are “performance bulletins” and they don’t always have full fuel either, often just whatever is in the tank.