Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Jonestrollingmotor Found a link to his Profile page...shoot him a PM or give him a call...he's a real good guy.

2. Member
    ����
    2013 Pro Team 190
    2013 Mercury 115 Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 898 at console
    Humminbird 598 at bow

3. Member
    Do it right the first time. If you're questioning it now, you'll question it the first time you trip the breaker. Just run 6 and be done /w it.

I just talked to my Buddy, changing the connector and fittings did not solve the problem. It still kicks the breaker at 100%. He is taking it to the shop tomorrow to have the wire changed to 6 gauge.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Thanks Bill.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 598 at bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Tin View Post
    I've had many 12V systems...NONE ever required 2 gauge wire...NONE.

Perhaps your runs were short. Also, my quote was from memory, and *I* was a little short. 25' and you need 2AWG with a > 50# 12V motor.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Perhaps your runs were short. Also, my quote was from memory, and *I* was a little short. 25' and you need 2AWG with a > 50# 12V motor.
    Yeah you're right. My longest run was probably 18'...only used 8 gauge for that and ran the crap out of it for years.

Tommy just play it safe and go 6 gauge. Its gonna be a pain but gonna have to bite the bullet. The day will come for me as well. If it was a 70-75lb thrust i would say leave it but 80 crosses the line. This is a good link and ill probly do mine a similar way.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=471210
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Yeah you're right. My longest run was probably 18'...only used 8 gauge for that and ran the crap out of it for years.

Yeah, and they also used to cure illness by draining blood from you.

They weren't right either. ;)

https://www.minnkotamotors.com/suppo...on-and-rigging

10. Banned
    Yeah, and they also used to cure illness by draining blood from you.

They weren't right either. ;)
    Well "they" never drained any blood from me...at least not to cure illness anyway.

Not sure I'm following you here...

Not even sure who "they" are??

11. Member
    Well "they" never drained any blood from me...at least not to cure illness anyway.

Not sure I'm following you here...

Not even sure who "they" are??
    The point was just because you (or someone else) did it does not make it correct.

12. Banned
    The point was just because you (or someone else) did it does not make it correct.
    I never said draining blood to cure sickness was "correct"...that was you.

Personally I think its insane and I'm not exactly sure what it has to do with the OP's question.

What next...you gonna try to convince me the Earth is round??

13. Member
    I never said draining blood to cure sickness was "correct"...that was you.

Personally I think its insane and I'm not exactly sure what it has to do with the OP's question.
    LOL

14. Banned
    LOL
    Serious question for you...you seem like you know what you're talking about.

My current rig...36v running about 15 feet from batt to TM...currently running 6 gauge... You think I'm good or should I go to 4.

Everything seems good now but this thread has me thinking...

15. Member
    I was in a similar situation a few years back. I pulled the 8 out and out 6 in. Never had an issue with the 6 and it is still going strong for the new owner.’

16. Member
    Serious question for you...you seem like you know what you're talking about.

My current rig...36v running about 15 feet from batt to TM...currently running 6 gauge... You think I'm good or should I go to 4.

Everything seems good now but this thread has me thinking...
    Serious answer, I appreciate the kind words, but the extent of my knowledge (that I am knowledgeable enough about to defend, anyway), is from reading the minn kota recommended wire size chart. According to MK, 6 is more than you need for 36v. They only list runs up to 25 feet on their chart (I already posted the link), and any of their 36v motors (with the exception of the engine mounted one) are good with 8AWG.

Its also not just the amperage, but rather its a factor of voltage loss for the electrical components used in building the TMs. As the length of the run increases, so does the voltage loss. You want less than 5% voltage loss between the battery and the TM. Larger diameter wire has less resistance, thus less voltage loss. This is why you want bigger wire for a 12v system - 5% of 12v is .6v, which is barely anything. In a 36v system, you can lose three times that and still be good. Then of course there's still the amperage requirement - we really don't want to overload the wire and start the boat on fire.

That said, if you have 6 now, I wouldn't rip it out and replace it with 8. But if you still have the boat in 10 years and the wire is corroded, you can save money and headache by using 8 for the replacement.

17. Member
    My question to the OP is why can't you pull in the new wires while pulling out the old ones, should be easy, unless there is a terminal block in there somewhere.

18. Banned
    Serious answer, I appreciate the kind words, but the extent of my knowledge (that I am knowledgeable enough about to defend, anyway), is from reading the minn kota recommended wire size chart. According to MK, 6 is more than you need for 36v. They only list runs up to 25 feet on their chart (I already posted the link), and any of their 36v motors (with the exception of the engine mounted one) are good with 8AWG.

Its also not just the amperage, but rather its a factor of voltage loss for the electrical components used in building the TMs. As the length of the run increases, so does the voltage loss. You want less than 5% voltage loss between the battery and the TM. Larger diameter wire has less resistance, thus less voltage loss. This is why you want bigger wire for a 12v system - 5% of 12v is .6v, which is barely anything. In a 36v system, you can lose three times that and still be good. Then of course there's still the amperage requirement - we really don't want to overload the wire and start the boat on fire.

That said, if you have 6 now, I wouldn't rip it out and replace it with 8. But if you still have the boat in 10 years and the wire is corroded, you can save money and headache by using 8 for the replacement.
    Well hell...you know a lot more than me...and now I know. Thanks for taking the time.

My dad used to say... If you're lucky and you're tryin hard enough...you'll learn something new every day.
    Last edited by Original Tin; 04-15-2018 at 10:13 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikcarl61 View Post
    My question to the OP is why can't you pull in the new wires while pulling out the old ones, should be easy, unless there is a terminal block in there somewhere.
    I had a tracker 170TX and upgraded to 6 ga wire. I had someone do it for me and they found that the wire that was in there was foamed in. He had to take the front deck off to get the wires loose from the foam. It would be nice if they would put them in a tube before they foamed the front deck.

20. Member
    After looking at the other thread, I was able to figure out a way to run the wires. I replaced the 8 gauge with 6 this morning.
    2013 Pro Team 190
    Minn Kota 70# Edge
    22p LightSpeed Prop
    Humminbird 598 at bow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast