EchoMap Screen Resolution

I currently have an EchoMap Chirp 73sv on the console and a 73cv on the bow. BPS has the Chirp 93sv on sale for $599. I was thinking of moving the 73sv up front and getting the 93sv for the console. Realistically it probably isn’t worth the expense, but that is a good price for a larger screen and side imaging up front. Was also debating the 93sv up front, since I’m adding Panoptix to the bow. One thing I noticed is that the screen resolution of the 7 series and 9 series are both 480x800. Although the 9 inch screen is bigger, wouldn’t it be less clear when compared to the 7 inch screen, since the pixel density is lower? I’d think that would make especially the SideVü more grainy. As a side note, the new EchoMap Plus 7 and 9 inch units are 400x800. Interesting that the newer units have lower screen resolution. Maybe has something to do with the touch screen. I’m no expert in screen resolution, but I definitely wouldn’t want to spend the money to upgrade to a 93 if it’s not as clear as the 73.

2. Member
    That's always a possibility. I have not seen it in these units, but it's a reasonable question. I did see exactly that result when I got two HDSG1's, an 8 and 10. The 8 was much better to look at. I always do calculations on units for pixel size and compare the resolution. But still, there seem to be more factors involved than just the straight up math of dimensions, pixels, etc. I have a echomap Plus 93sv and the resolution is great. But that's a subjective comment. I use it alongside my 7610 and mathematically the 7610 should blow it away. I guess there's a difference. Surely the 7610 is better. It's just not something that I notice like that jumped out at me on the HDS units. My recommendation is to go to BPS or Cabelas or somewhere like that and look at a demo unit for yourself. I think you'll be satisfied with what you see.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    I stopped in Sportsman’s Warehouse today. They didn’t have any Garmin’s. I was able to compare a Helix 7 and a Helix 9. They also share the same 480x800 screen resolution. To me there was a noticeable difference in the screen clarity. So much so that having a little bit bigger screen wasn’t worth it to me. I would expect to see the same results in the 93 and 73. That's not at all to say that I wouldn’t buy a 93 if I didn’t already have a 73, it was just noticeable to me. It’s really a moot point for me anyway. My wife revoked my kitchen pass, since I just ordered my Panoptix transducer.
    Last edited by Cory5129; 04-16-2018 at 07:35 PM.

4. Member
    seems it would be like any other display, ie tv’s. the higher the resolution, the closer the viewing distance can be. lower resolution, and you need to be farther away for the same screen size.

im getting one of those 93sv’s for the bow so i can see it better and for panoptix later. im keeping the 7cv and 7sv at the console for dedicated mapping/2d on plane and side imaging on the 7sv.