91 EVINRUDE 150 INTRUDER SPITFIRE SEVERAL ISSUES POPPED UP

91 EVINRIDE 150, s/n G02655234, which I think is cross-flow model. yesterday it seemed to be idlng a bit rougher than usual, died a couple times dropping it into gear,and was a bit hard to re-start. Then when running down the lake around 3000 rpm I opened her up and it ran up a bit, coughed twice and died. It did this once late last year, so we changed fuel filters this spring, which led to finding a fuel drip which resulted in a new vro/fuel pump due to a cracked housing a couple weeks ago. Until yesterday it started easily and idled pretty well. Now the story gets really odd. just as a note it was very windy and very rainy most of the day. After it died at wide open, the rest of the day it was very hard to start, and a couple times when I finally got it running (very rough) it died, I put it in neutral and it came back to life before I even hit the start key! I noticed the key switch was sticking a couple times after that, not sure about when the re-starts happened. would a shot of wd-40 help that? Check the neutral start switch? Could a lot of rainwater cause a restart like that? And then the dying over 3000 rpms, what to start looking for on that problem? I searched the forums and didnt find any info there.....

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Intruder is not a crossflow,,,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Member
    thanks,must mean its loop-charged motor, repair manual kinda vague on that model year.....

4. Member
    Model number please.

5. Member
    WD 40 is not a good lubricant, may as well use Kerosene. A silicone spray works good and is waterproof. Am I correct, you say the motor just started up on it's own?

6. Member
    model number looks like 150GLE1S.......when engine died, I immediately pulled shifter back to neutral position, and engine started back up, key was in run position, did not hear starting motor crank for any length of time, just fired up like it usually does untill yesterday. That happened twice. Makes me wonder about the neutral start switch as several times it cranked like it wasnt getting any fire, kinda faster than usual, but on these occasions it fired up quickly when the shifter was moved.......and then there is the quitting at high rpm problem...

7. Member
    and you are right, WD-40 is more of a cleaner than a lubricant, thought the sticky switch could use a cleaning

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by labomba View Post
    and you are right, WD-40 is more of a cleaner than a lubricant, thought the sticky switch could use a cleaning
    I saw some WD-40 silicone spray lube today, I didn't know about that. Have you adjusted the throttle cable lately? May be about time for a new switch, it could be bleeding over inside or sticking like you said. Maybe a combination of neutral safety switch adjustment and ignition switch. On the other issue, it could be several things, did it just quit or kind of slowly quit. You could try this, next time push in on the key to activate the primer, if it picks up it could be fuel if nothing happens it could be ignition.

9. Member
    when going thru the papers i got from the previous owner, there was repair order for just about the same dying at high speed issue and they replaced the throttle sensor...But I could find no mentionof a throttle sensor in m Clymers manual at all....is there one on my engine or did he get ripped off?

10. Member
    and my evinrude dealer mechanic replaced a cracked roller on the linkage last week, he didnt say if he readjusted any cables.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I think that model number is a Fastrike
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. Member
    everything on the motor and paperwork say Evinrude 150 Intruder Spitfire series....

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by labomba View Post
    everything on the motor and paperwork say Evinrude 150 Intruder Spitfire series....
    J150GLEIS-Johnson (Fast Strike)
    TE/VE/E150GLEIS-Evinrude (Intruder)

14. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Your Model number doesn't have a 1 in it but an I,,,,,,,,,,