Banned

North Star 27m versus optima 31m...help please

No really interested in CCA as these are for my 36 volt system but when I look at specs the 27 Northstar has a reserve capacity of 195 versus an Optima 31m which has a reserve capacity of 155.

The reason I’m asking is that my friends Optimas do fine on his 36 volt Ultrex in tourney conditions but would I get better performance from the 27 Northstar versus the 31 Optima because of the extra Reserve Capacity?

Im just trying to save some dough versus going whole hog on the Northstar 31m especially if the 27’s will do the job.

Thanks

2. Member
    IMO, Reserve Capacity is exactly what is needed for a trolling motor application. The numbers speak for themselves. Northstar makes a great battery. I think 3 27's would work fine in a 36 volt setup. The 31 Northstar is a great option for the cranking side.

3. Banned
    So in other words a 27 can outperform a 31 assuming they are from different mftrs?

YES.

5. Member
    Optimas are not the batteries they were 10 years ago. There are significantly better batteries available for the money and size as demonstrated by the Northstar specs.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

6. Member
    Don’t count out the X900 pure lead batteries Cabelas sells if you have one around, it’s a North Star battery made for cabelas and it has a 4yr full warranty handled through cabelas in store. I run 27’s for my troll and a 31 for cranking. Zero complaints. Same specs.

7. Member
    Optimas, with their spiral cell technology are smaller and lighter, but with a trade off of reducing the RC. A typical Optima when compared to another brand of the same group size will have about 1/4 less RC. The Northstar is a real beast, and, IMO, along with Odyssey, the best AGM around for a bass boat right now, especially for cranking. It also requires good charging equipment to get the most out of it. If your Dual Pro in your Ranger is newer than 08, it will do the job properly. Those batteries are very expensive up here in Canada.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Optimas, with their spiral cell technology are smaller and lighter, but with a trade off of reducing the RC. A typical Optima when compared to another brand of the same group size will have about 1/4 less RC. The Northstar is a real beast, and, IMO, along with Odyssey, the best AGM around for a bass boat right now, especially for cranking. It also requires good charging equipment to get the most out of it. If your Dual Pro in your Ranger is newer than 08, it will do the job properly. Those batteries are very expensive up here in Canada.
    Last edited by catdude28; 04-16-2018 at 02:39 PM. Reason: double post
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Banned
    Thanks guys went with the 31 Northstars...they have a 4 year full replacement and 220 RC

10. Member
    I got the cranking 31 northstar. Mainly to keep all the depth finders from shutting off when i crank motor. It cost but it has been worth it.