active captain and managing quickdraw maps\data

So I have 2 chips that are full and a 3rd started with QD data.

Is there a way where I can manage the data on these cards to combine lake data and make one chip for one lake and manage it that way going forward with active captain?

I don't feel like uploading the QD data to the community just yet as I don't have enough data mapped just spot on spots.

Or do I just have to start over with mapping and start with one lake on one chip.

2. Member
    Sounds odd. What size memory cards are you using?

You're probably going to need to upload it it all, get a large enough card to handle all the data you plan for. It should be that big of a deal. Garmin has the whole US on one card.

I meant to say should NOT be that bif of a deal.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 04-15-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    I have 32gb cards the max you can use. I start quickdraw as soon as I hit the water. On the water a lot.....

I know that is what I am thinking what is odd myself. maybe I will look to see if I have other stuff on the card but don't think I do.

4. Member
    I don't know about how the processing, if any, happens when you upload the data. Meaning areas mapped duplicate times consolidated or not. Ideally there would be some mechanism to combine and consolidate the data making the final storage smaller. You going to need Todd's help on answering this. I've not done any mapping since Garmin mapped my lake.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    You can use a 64gb card, you just need to format it correctly.

6. Member
    2 million acres??? That's a lot of acres for a short period of time.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK

Quote Originally Posted by YamiScott View Post
    I have 32gb cards the max you can use. I start quickdraw as soon as I hit the water. On the water a lot.....

I know that is what I am thinking what is odd myself. maybe I will look to see if I have other stuff on the card but don't think I do.
    With 32GB cards, I see no way you can have 1 card full of QD data, let alone 2. Are you getting a warning on the unit regarding memory on your cards? Take a look at your cards, files, subfolders, see what is actually on them.
    Garmin Pro Team

8. Member
    Yes I got warnings on the units saying they were full. Going to check tonight to see what is actually on the cards. As LW mentioned, I do map the same areas I have been over and wonder how the units manage that data....does it just draw on top of it self or is it another data set taking up more space.

9. Member
    Looked at both cards just now. one is showing at 160mb used and the other one is a little over 1gb used.

The only thing on the cards is QD data under the garmin folder, no screen shots. I have all of those on another card in the second unit. Both these micro SD's are in my 942xs which I have on chart 99% of the time. The 1242xsv, now has the active captain data card and the other card for sonar recordings and screen shots.

Quote Originally Posted by YamiScott View Post
    Looked at both cards just now. one is showing at 160mb used and the other one is a little over 1gb used.
    But you say that your cards are 32GB?
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    Yes sir

12. Member
    Were the cards previously used for something else? Photos, Garmin software updates?
    If so who were the files deleted?
    I have noticed that some cards need to be "reformatted" to actually free up the space from deleted files - especially when used across multiple platforms (Apple products, windows and cameras). This happens when I download files for updates on my mac, then use a win7 notebook to unpack the updates. If I then delete the files on the Mac the space doesn't free up and have to reformat the card on the win7.
    Save off your maps and try reformatting the cards.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by catmantwo View Post
    Were the cards previously used for something else? Photos, Garmin software updates?
    If so who were the files deleted?
    I have noticed that some cards need to be "reformatted" to actually free up the space from deleted files - especially when used across multiple platforms (Apple products, windows and cameras). This happens when I download files for updates on my mac, then use a win7 notebook to unpack the updates. If I then delete the files on the Mac the space doesn't free up and have to reformat the card on the win7.
    Save off your maps and try reformatting the cards.
    Agree. Backup the data from the cards, then reformat.
    Garmin Pro Team

14. Member
    ok, will do.