Battery "hold-back" device????

I've added a picture of a drawing of the stern of my tinny. The area is covered everywhere except for a hatch over battery #1 and the gas tank. It is a pretty normal arrangement, I think.

My problem is getting to the battery#2 and #3. The prior owner of the boat installed a metal closet rod in the area shown as a dark black line. Its function was simple enough...hold the two forward batteries from sliding around and banging into the plastic gas tank when underway.

Unfortunately, his choice of the closet rod wasn't the best. It is rusting AND it has some $^$^&%&% type of clips that hold it from being easily removed. I am going to have it pulled out completely.

What do you guys use to keep your batteries from sliding around in similar circumstances?

thanks richg99
    Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve never had that issue on a tin boat but I did have something similar on a Nitro. I did two things...first, I bought battery boxes with lids for each battery so they were completely enclosed. I bought a ratchet bar typically used in trucks for keeping cargo in place. I used the boxes so nothing was directly rubbing the batteries.

LINKS:

Ratchet Bar

Battery Box

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Can you post some pictures of the setup in the boat from above? I have several ideas that I've incorporated to keep my batteries in place. Just don't know wha you have to work with.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. mikesxpress
    Rich based on your drawing the two end to end battery storage area is only accessible from the rear hatch. I assume you must snake the two batteries into place with battey 1 removed?
    Battery boxes restrict heat dissipation and are not recommend. If you can get two battery trays screwed down with ratchet straps that would be your most secure method.

5. Member
    Thanks, guys. Problem solved. ( I hope). I bought a ratcheting bar that will replace the clothes hanger. It will be easy to remove and allow me to check and fill the batteries.

When these C$&% out, I'll most likely replace them with sealed cells....which are expensive.

Put each battery in a tray, strapped down, first and foremost. If they are not, I wouldn't trust the ratchet bar, since batteries could still jump up and down, and side to side.
    If you need to, get a big sheet of Starboard (or a cutting board at a home center) and mount the trays to that - then secure the board to the boat. You'll have less screws going into the boat.

7. Member
    "If you need to, get a big sheet of Starboard (or a cutting board at a home center) and mount the trays to that - then secure the board to the boat. You'll have less screws going into the boat."

This actually is a very good idea and might allow for the best solution. All of the prior suggestions regarding battery trays didn't take into account that I have NO way to strap the batteries down since they are UNDER the metal decking. But, if I mount the battery trays onto a sheet of wood/starboard/etc., then I can strap the batteries down, and then slide the board back under the decking. GREAT IDEA and Thanks!

If you use wood, be sure to seal it with epoxy resin (and preferably a layer of glass cloth) to waterproof it. Then seal any screw holes with silicone to eliminate any water getting inside the wood.

9. Member
    wood....yep.