Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

521L ICON G2 THE GOOD! THE BAD

Well gentleman, I finally got to take the boat out for its first journey. The boat is setup with G2, 3 blade Raker26, atlas jack plate and all the Icon bells and whistles. Just to let you all know this is my 5th Ranger my last one was a 2010 Z521 w/ 250ho and I have been a die hard Ranger guy and hopefully can stay one. This is is how it went.
    The GOOD- G2 is a BEAST! , Holeshot was incredible, I didn't open her up because of lake rules but jeez this thing is a torque monster. Power steering is awesome! Very impressed with the whole Evinrude setup.
    The boat handled well like my other ones and pretty has that same Ranger feel to it. No complaints at all. Ultrex is the best thing since slice bread!!!

Now the BAD- idling out and go to lower Jack plate and it shuts off electronics, happens every time you touch the lever. Get to spot and drop in Ultrex and it takes 10 minutes for sonar to read correct depth (lowrance carbon) every time I would make a move you never knew when it would start working. I fished for 30 minutes with sonar reading 5' with clutter meanwhile I'm in 18'-25' then all of a sudden it starts working. Oh by the way water temp is reading way off by 10 degrees, I asked the other guys on the lake. So l figured try the power poles out, I drop the poles and the front electronics shut off, same as Jack plate switch except at the bow. Make another move and notice control pad flashing, I have know idea what that's all about, fuel gauge isn't working, tank is full and both gauge and evinrude screen read empty. Adjustable seats are great but they squeak ALOT when running. So at the day I'm sitting here like WTF!!!! $104,000 and I'm dealing with all this plus another wasted 2 days of trips back and forth to dealer! Like I said earlier, I'm a loyal Ranger guy obviously that's why I purchased a ICON but man I'm pissed 😡 , I NEVER had issues like this on any of my past boats!!

2. Member
    Sounds like a battery issue. Check to see if its correct group size, needs to be group 31.
    2016 Z520 - Mercury 250 ProXS - Bravo 1 XS

3. Member
    Dealer never should have delivered the boat. Sounds like it was unloaded from the truck, cleaned up and see ya later. That being said Rangers QC should have caught it and fixed it before it left the factory. Lowrance issues sound like setup. Shouldn't be a problem. I thought about an Icon (Mercury) but couldn't justify that much money at this point in my life. Good luck and be safe out there.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    G2 is a beast! I had a couple hiccups with my Z520L. I had the front bow control panel melt and I had a light strip in the rear compartment go out, Ranger was great about overnighting me the new parts. My dealer installed my battery gauge and Humminbird 360 orientation wrong, both were easy fixes though.

Good luck getting your issues resolved, what size and brand of batteries are you running...?

Quote Originally Posted by Della123 View Post
    Well gentleman, I finally got to take the boat out for its first journey. The boat is setup with G2, 3 blade Raker26, atlas jack plate and all the Icon bells and whistles. Just to let you all know this is my 5th Ranger my last one was a 2010 Z521 w/ 250ho and I have been a die hard Ranger guy and hopefully can stay one. This is is how it went.
    The GOOD- G2 is a BEAST! , Holeshot was incredible, I didn't open her up because of lake rules but jeez this thing is a torque monster. Power steering is awesome! Very impressed with the whole Evinrude setup.
    The boat handled well like my other ones and pretty has that same Ranger feel to it. No complaints at all. Ultrex is the best thing since slice bread!!!

Now the BAD- idling out and go to lower Jack plate and it shuts off electronics, happens every time you touch the lever. Get to spot and drop in Ultrex and it takes 10 minutes for sonar to read correct depth (lowrance carbon) every time I would make a move you never knew when it would start working. I fished for 30 minutes with sonar reading 5' with clutter meanwhile I'm in 18'-25' then all of a sudden it starts working. Oh by the way water temp is reading way off by 10 degrees, I asked the other guys on the lake. So l figured try the power poles out, I drop the poles and the front electronics shut off, same as Jack plate switch except at the bow. Make another move and notice control pad flashing, I have know idea what that's all about, fuel gauge isn't working, tank is full and both gauge and evinrude screen read empty. Adjustable seats are great but they squeak ALOT when running. So at the day I'm sitting here like WTF!!!! $104,000 and I'm dealing with all this plus another wasted 2 days of trips back and forth to dealer! Like I said earlier, I'm a loyal Ranger guy obviously that's why I purchased a ICON but man I'm pissed  , I NEVER had issues like this on any of my past boats!!
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 04-15-2018 at 07:58 AM.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

My ‘17 Z520 came from the factory with a 27 series to crank the motor and run all the accessories. That was an effing joke! Sounds like you need the biggest 31 series you can find. I bet that fixes all your problems.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

6. Member
    It is unfortunate that you are having these issues with their “Icon” boat. I just recently purchased a 2018 Z520C and all has been well. I hope they sort it out for your quickly.

You mentioned this was your 5th or so Ranger, same dealer? Or is this a new dealer to you? As others have said dealer should have prevented much of this.

Good luck

Robert

7. Banned
    I will bet good money on a group 31 battery NOT fixing the problem. Everyone seems to get fixated on the battery size when anything electrical goes wrong. That group 27 is sitting there with probably 1000 cca's ready to roll.
    Troubleshooting 101:
    Electronics shutting down first thing in the morning as soon as any other load is applied?? Short of the battery being dead (which is not likely, as the big motor started and the jack plate functioned), the problem is a bad electrical connection, or vastly undersized and/or overloaded wiring to the graphs.

You may find that some of the other electronic bugs disappear when the power supply issue is resolved.
    Last edited by Nova Kaw 650; 04-15-2018 at 08:29 AM.

8. Member
    Who did the rigging....dealer or Ranger?

9. Member
    To be honest with you guys I didn't check the batter size, they should be group 31 agm batteries as that what was called for in package. Yes this is new dealer and he is a board sponsor and is won hell of a great guy, I don't want to discredit him on the fact I'm confident he will correct issues pronto! With that being said, what nova kaw 650 said seems to me like the issue as well or possibly a short. Hopefully the bow electronics aren't an issue because those are built into trolling motor And that's what held up the boat for 2 months. I do remember on my previous boats the dealer lake tested everyone that he sold. You know I'll be on the phone at 9:00 sharp tomorrow!

Thanks for the support guys, tight lines to all

Based on years of Ranger ownership...definitely sounds like a cranking battery issue. Start with the simple stuff first.
    if its one of those interstate 31 AGM's, mine gave me the same issues you describe very early in its life.

11. Member
    Yes it is those interstate 31agm's. I spoke with dealer and he thinks it could be the problem as well along with some other possibilities like amp draw or a bad ground. What I don't understand is the motor cranked fine all day. Are the interstates any good? I've always had optima's with no issues. My dealer was quick in getting back to me and is on the phone with Ranger as I write this, he is a good guy and even offered to come get the boat to save me the hassle of travel.

12. Member
    if the jack plate is affecting the electronics, i would guess they wired it through the boat circuits instead of direct to the battery. my guess is your graphs are into the boat circuitry as well.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by Della123 View Post
    Yes it is those interstate 31agm's. I spoke with dealer and he thinks it could be the problem as well along with some other possibilities like amp draw or a bad ground. What I don't understand is the motor cranked fine all day. Are the interstates any good? I've always had optima's with no issues. My dealer was quick in getting back to me and is on the phone with Ranger as I write this, he is a good guy and even offered to come get the boat to save me the hassle of travel.
    Many on here have had issues with the interstate AGM...not saying they are all bad, but you can't ignore the problems guys on here have had with them in newer Rangers.... All my problems went away with a new battery...I went with a lithium crank. Not a problem one since. These boats are power hogs...especially with pumps running.

14. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Many is an understatement!!!! Get rid of those Interstates Della123!!! INTERSTATES ARE STRAIGHT GARBAGE!!! AGM or not, Interstates are good for one thing... a small boat anchor! Having Interstates in an Icon boat is like having Kia wheels on a Lamborghini!!!!!!!!!

If you dropped over $100k on that Icon, spend another grand or so and get 4 quality 31 series AGM's (Deka or X2/Northstar's). Or drop even more coin and get lithium's. But PLEASE PLEASE get rid of those Interstate's!!! The thought of those in an Icon boat or any Ranger for that matter makes me sick!

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Many on here have had issues with the interstate AGM...not saying they are all bad, but you can't ignore the problems guys on here have had with them in newer Rangers.... All my problems went away with a new battery...I went with a lithium crank. Not a problem one since. These boats are power hogs...especially with pumps running.
    Last edited by 22RangerZ520R; 04-16-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 18RangerZ520L View Post
    Many is an understatement!!!! Get rid of those Interstates Della123!!! INTERSTATES ARE STRAIGHT GARBAGE!!! AGM or not, Interstates are good for one thing... a small boat anchor! Having Interstates in an Icon boat is like having Kia wheels on a Lamborghini!!!!!!!!!

If you dropped over $100k on that Icon, spend another grand or so and get 4 quality 31 series AGM's (Deka or X2/Northstar's). Or drop even more coin and get lithium's. But PLEASE PLEASE get rid of those Interstate's!!! The though of those in an Icon boat or any Ranger for that matter makes me sick!

Yeah...I was trying to be nice!

16. Member
    Not an Interstate fan either and wonder why Ranger still uses them. I still think the Batteries Plus X2 is the best non-lithium battery on the market and is what I would recommend as a replacement.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

17. Member
    My Cranker is a Deka. My TM batteries are Interstate. No issues after 2 years.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Not an Interstate fan either and wonder why Ranger still uses them. I still think the Batteries Plus X2 is the best non-lithium battery on the market and is what I would recommend as a replacement.

One of the many upgrades I made to my new boat were bigger batteries. I have NEVER had good luck with any Interstate battery.....never. My dealer installed the X2 batteries in my boat. I did not ask for the X2 batteries, this is what my dealer recommended.

I haven't had a chance to get the boat out yet.....just got another 1 1/2 foot of snow over the weekend... Hopefully the snow will be gone in the next 2 weeks......

M

Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    My Cranker is a Deka. My TM batteries are Interstate. No issues after 2 years.
    The interstates seem to be adequate for trolling batteries. Actually have them ( non agm) in my tin boat and so far they have been ok.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    I'm not "politically correct"...

Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Yeah...I was trying to be nice!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast