Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Go to Harbor freight and rent a hoist. And it’s not that bad of a job to do. It is like night and day from where your motor is mounted now. To that third hole. If you do choose to do it yourself. Pm me and I be happy to help you through it.
    What sealant would you use going back? I got a big tractor with a front end loader!! Lol A hoist will be much safer for my boat.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    115 MERCURY PRO XS 4 STROKE
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Vessel View mobile Installed
    2= Garmin ecomap 93sv plus
    Ram swing arm mount (console)
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force
    Supreme Ultimate Bunkboards
    3 Leaf 3000# leaf spring upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtracks View Post
    What sealant would you use going back? I got a big tractor with a front end loader!! Lol A hoist will be much safer for my boat.
    3M- 4200 on the sealing. 5200 turns to concrete and over time, with vibration it will crack. The 4200 stays pliable.

But there is a new marine sealant out now that is a green color. I actually got some from my dealer when I put my jack plate on. It seals really good but it also is slick. So you have to actually re-torque the bolts too often. So I would use 4200.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    If a X7 is put on, with the motor mounted in the top hole. You are in for a ride. It will be squirrley. You will feel the boat is on top of the the water with nothing in the water but the motor foot. Won’t be fun.

This combo is best third hole down. But it will cut a second off holeshot.
    Sorry it took so long to get back with results ( been working alot of OT)but here is a screen shot of my performance with the engine on the transom and the X7 prop. It runs like a scalded dog!!! No doubt i could have gained a few more MPH maybe even 5 more but the wife was screaming lmao. And it drove great, the only thing i did notice is when i turned to go into a cove at that speed i could feel it sliding a little but at that speed is that normal? No porposing or anything anymore. Im still under 10hrs on the engine so didnt run it hard again after that. But the prop is amazing! Do i still need to mess with raising the engine or leave it and get some more seat time in? Also i see people figuring prop slip can i figure it with this data ?Thanks guys for all the help so far.

2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

4. Member
    Just found on mercury website a place to figure prop slip. It figured up to be at 2%
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

5. Member
    I think it's pretty amazing that you are hitting 50mph at only 5860rpms. I assume your engine is still in the 1st hole. If you raise it to the 3rd hole you should max your RPM near 6300 which is the upper limit for the engine. Your speed should increase a bit but I am not sure because I run the same exact rig and I only hit 50mph at 6300 with the engine in the 3rd hole. I never ran my X7 in the lower position so I don't know how it would have performed.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

Raising the motor will help the skid in the turns. And you’ll gain both speed and rpms.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    Thanks for the update. It seems like everyone who has gone to the X7 on our boats have seen significant improvement! Time for me to commit.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

8. Member
    Dont think you will be disappointed! And gatorglenn i think ill still raise the engine to the third hole and give it a try.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

9. Member
    Fishtracks- glad to here you are happy with the prop, I honestly believe if you raise the motor to the 3rd hole you will be truly amazed how the boat handles. You are headed in the right direction. Gatorglenn does know what he is talking about. Good luck, have fun.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar225 View Post
    Thanks for the update. It seems like everyone who has gone to the X7 on our boats have seen significant improvement! Time for me to commit.
    It will be night and day difference.

11. Member
    Raising the motor will help the skid in the turns. And you’ll gain both speed and rpms.
    Ok,ordered a puller/ lifting eye today too late now but is the one with the 1 1/2-16 threaded ring the right one? Hope so cause the other one is $$$$! And another dumb question if this is the right one the flywheel bolt will have to come out right? I know it doesn’t sound like it but im pretty mechanically inclined but makes me very nervous messing with my new motor and boat. Here is a pic of the flywheel and the puller i bought.

2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

Actually I would not pull the flywheel bolt. Those 3 treaded holes is where to mount the other style of eyebolt puller. What you have ordered can work. I just don’t like to do it that way. Man it’s easy on my 60. It has a mount bolted to the head permanently.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

13. Member
    Wish mine had a permanent lifting loop! Thats what i thought, i really didnt want to pull that flywheel bolt either thats why i was asking. Just dont sound like a good idea. My closest marine dealer (not where i purchased) gets 90.00 hr. Thats fine but told me it could take 2-4hrs i would pay for 2 hours labor just so i wouldnt have to mess with it. But possibly 360.00!!! Uhhhhh no
    lll shop around for another puller maybe ill find one at a decent price. Does anyone on here loan one out? I would pay and pay shipping! Hate to spend that much to use one time.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

14. Member
    Fishtracks
    Check out my previous posting on how to lift this engine. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=lifting+ring
    This worked very nicely for me and I have not had any problems but I need to warn you that Don at European Marine said this is not the way to do it. I volunteered to have Don remove my post if it was going to be a problem but he opted to leave it. The engine only weighs about 240lbs. Like you was very hesitant to remove that huge bolt in the top of the flywheel.
    To be extra safe you could balance some of the engine weight on the skeg so that the lifter is not carrying much weight.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    Humminbird Mega360

15. Member
    Thanks joe3buck3! Think ill just make me one too, maybe i can find the time at work one day this week. That will be quick and easy to make.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

I find it odd Don said that. I known shop for years that prefer the triangle eyes over pulling the flywheel and belt off. My question would be, what are those three holes for then.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

17. Member
    I was wondering the same thing, the more expensive pullers i was looking at use those holes.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joe3buck3 View Post
    Fishtracks
    Check out my previous posting on how to lift this engine. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....t=lifting+ring
    This worked very nicely for me and I have not had any problems but I need to warn you that Don at European Marine said this is not the way to do it. I volunteered to have Don remove my post if it was going to be a problem but he opted to leave it. The engine only weighs about 240lbs. Like you was very hesitant to remove that huge bolt in the top of the flywheel.
    To be extra safe you could balance some of the engine weight on the skeg so that the lifter is not carrying much weight.
    Got a chance to make one today! Thanks again for the idea. Ill update when i get the engine moved and tested out but not sure how long that will be between the rain we are fixing to get for the next few days and work. The lifting bracket turned out great though and im sure its strong enough to pick up a small truck. Lol

Last edited by Fishtracks; 05-16-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

19. Member
    Nice work Fishtracks.

To do my actual lifting I just used my LIttle Giant Ladder and the boat trailer.
    I lowered the trailer tongue jack as low as it would go thus raising the transom/engine to its highest point.
    Set up my Little Giant Ladder straddling the engine and hung a chain from the upper rungs to the lifter attached to the flywheel.
    Loosened the transom bolts a bit and then raised the tongue jack (lowering the transom) until the full weight of the engine was on the ladder/chain.
    Removed the transom bolts with engine just hanging in the air.
    Continued raising the tongue jack until the 3rd hole on the engine was lined up with the transom mounting holes, added sealant and bolted everything back in place.

The entire job took less than an hour.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Humminbird Mega360

20. Member
    That sounds like a pretty easy way to do it! I was thinking about a come a long hooked to my tractor bucket or my buddy has a cherry picker he said i could use and he would help.
    2018 TRACKER PT 190 TX
    Mercury spitfire X7 prop
    Dek-it Bow mount (Bow)
    57" garmin force

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast