250 Pro XS won't start and idle

have 2013 250 pro xs. made a run this morning maybe ten minutes. when I come off plane to stop engine died. Thought it was odd but didn't think it would be a big deal. Fished for about 30 minutes and when I went to leave it wouldn't start. If I held the gas down a little it would start and I could keep it running around 2000 rpm. but it vibrated and just wasn't running right. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Put your serial # up!
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

It could be many things. Quit running it. One of the things it could be a a blown compressor. If it is and you keep trying to run it, you are putting debris into expensive injectors possibly trashing them.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Any alarms?

5. Member
    no alarms, and the primer ball seemed hard. It was running a little cool like a thermostat had a piece of wood in it

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv21ss View Post
    no alarms, and the primer ball seemed hard. It was running a little cool like a thermostat had a piece of wood in it
    Did you run the motor on plane BEFORE the motor warmed up to 120*-130*?

7. Member
    I noticed when I come off plane and it died that the temperature was around 80 and it was coming up after it stopped. I normally keep the smart craft on water pressure instead of temperature so it is not something I run around watching.

8. Member
    Temperature is more important than pressure, when the motor is just started.

Click on this >>Cold running an Optimax
    Last edited by Savage; 04-18-2018 at 11:47 AM.

9. Member
    I'm not doubting what he says but a quick question. If it is so important why doesn't Mercury make smart craft mandatory on all their engines? it is an add on. not a automatic installed gauge like the water pressure. I've watched the pros run through stuff I wouldn't even consider going through. So I don't see Mercury saying oh yeah don't get it around any wood or mud because I might cause permanent engine damage. If you run in any shallow water, muddy water or water with any floating debris you have a great chance to get something stuck in a thermostat. So are you supposed to get towed back to the ramp every trip out?

10. Member
    "Pros" get backing from Mercury, so they don't care how they abuse a motor.

11. Member
    I agree with that but they also make their living with one so they aren't going to want to be broken down every time they get something stuck in a thermostat. I believe if Mercury was that worried about the water temperature they would have come up with a better way to keep trash and debris out of the cooling system. A water temperature gauge isn't mandatory, they have a five year warranty. they wouldn't survive that warranty if a stuck thermostat was going to cause major engine issues.

12. Member
    Same exact thing happened to me last weekend. What ended up being the root cause to your problem? How did you fix?

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wv21ss View Post
    I'm not doubting what he says but a quick question. If it is so important why doesn't Mercury make smart craft mandatory on all their engines? it is an add on. not a automatic installed gauge like the water pressure. I've watched the pros run through stuff I wouldn't even consider going through. So I don't see Mercury saying oh yeah don't get it around any wood or mud because I might cause permanent engine damage. If you run in any shallow water, muddy water or water with any floating debris you have a great chance to get something stuck in a thermostat. So are you supposed to get towed back to the ramp every trip out?
    Even water pressure isn't an "automatically installed gauge".

Proper rigging for the application is the responsibility of the engine installer. Whomever that might be.

Recommend removing the flywheel cover and inspecting the belt and air compressor as a first-step.

if you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor