Ultrex versus power poles

I fished with a guy today who had an Ultrex, Humminbird electronics and no power poles or talons. We had high winds rough conditions. Although we were fishing 15 ft and deeper, but it occurred to me that power poles would be useless and possibly unneeded. I was considering selling my 2 power poles and Fortrex and putting the money toward an ultrex. I also run Lorance HDS 12s up front and at console and don’t want to switch to Humminbird. Are the power poles worth it since they are only useable in 7’ or less. I know I will not get I link. What are you guys thoughts?
    Dave Swimm - Ranger Z21, Yamaha Vmax 250 HPDI
    ‘17 Shearwater X22 Hybrid, Vmax 250 SHO
    I can't leave anything stock, I can't leave well enough alone.
    I need to customize everything. I think I can improve others
    designs, sometimes.

You’ll want those poles when fishing shallow. Spot lock won’t help much in shallow on a windy bank. You’ll never have to dig your skeg into the bottom on a windy beach when getting your truck and trailer. With that said, the Ultrex is awesome! You don’t need to switch to Humminbird to get an Ultrex. Get the non link version and save some $. Sell a kidney and have both.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

3. Member
    I had I pilot on my terrova and also had a talon. Both great tools that do things slightly differently.

The ultrex won’t hold you the same when trying to skip a lure under a dock or when is super shallow situations as weeds will get wrapped around the prop and choke it out.

I firmly believe there is a place and time for both.

I don’t however believe there is a need for two power poles (new boat will have an ultrex and an 8 foot talon if it ever gets here). 2 will still hold you better but 1 coupled with the ultrex can hold you pretty good.

Another nice thing about having both an ultrex and shallow water anchors is, in shallow water, the spot locking trolling motor will be off and not stirring up the area making noise, etc. The shallow water anchors hold you down quietly. In deeper water, over structure or a brush pile, the ultrex keeps you really close to where you can fish the spot as long as you want without having to touch the trolling motor. I have both and if you can save up for them or afford them, get them!!
    Sam Dunaway
    2005 Triton TR-21X