Shift Shaft Alignment

2003 Mercury XR6 Serial 0T666017
    After replacing water pump and reinstalling the lower unit the prop spun freely in neutral and when in forward it was locked clock wise but it will not go in reverse, what did I do wrong. I left it in neutral when I removed the lower unit like Don suggested. Some one help me.

2. Member
    Looked at an old post, think I have figured it out.

3. Member
    which old post, having similar issues

4. Member
    Please explain what happened I'm doing my water pump soon and don't want to have the same issue! Thanks

5. Member
    Here are the comments from a first timer, lessons learned. Always go with the kit instead of just the impeller, to me it only makes sense to replace everything. I prepared myself by reading the Selco book paying close attention to each step, read Sherms tips, and also looked at a lot of old posts especially Dons comments. With that said, I did not realize the water tube and drive shaft in the upper part of the motor are not fixed objects, it’s not just a I will slide this back in place deal, some one has to help you align the drive shaft, that being the most difficult. Also, I chose to leave everything in neutral and the book did not mention having someone turn the prop as you check putting the motor in gear after installation. I had it correctly installed last night but it would not go in reverse so I took it back off and then found a post with comments from Don that gave instructions for that. As I read that I thought, where would we Mercury guys be without Don and Joe54 and others who answer questions on here. I’m reinstalling today, hope these comments might help someone.
    Last edited by xcoach; 04-16-2018 at 09:26 PM.

6. Member
    report back coach
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Got everything back together yesterday, testing it in the water after school, will report how it went tonight.

8. Member
    I do mine by myself and aligning the shift shaft and water tube with one hand while holding the lower unit with the other hand is probably the hardest part. I do mine in forward gear so I can turn prop to get the driveshaft to align. After doing it a couple of times it gets much easier.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

9. Member
    Joe, just got back home, motor worked like a charm! The process worked better for me with the motor in neutral.

10. Member
    , me tooo
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Member
    Is there any trick or easier way to get the shifter shaft & shift linkage to line up. Mercury XR2 150hp.

12. Member
    Have someone hold the shift rod with needle nose pliers as you slide the lower unit up. That worked for me.

13. Member
    Have someone hold the shift rod with needle nose pliers as you slide the lower unit up. That worked for me.

Thanks will try that.