Banned

Causes for big motor failure in bad weather?

So my local lake just had a real rough day wind wise. It was a prefish day and I hear a boat sank cuz the big motor wouldnt start and they got swamped. Guys made it out and were picked up by the rangers from my understanding. If I remember correctly....this is the same scenario that happened in the fatal lake okechobee incident recently.

What is it that makes a big motor fail in those conditions? Is there anything you can do to avoid big motor problems in windy/wavy weather?

Hopefully ill never be in the position myself, but my home lake tends to kick up in winds unexpectedly....and I like to plan for worst case scenarios since im alone 99% of the time.

2. Member
    Things that can make a outboard motor not start in rough water I'm sure are the same things that can make one not start anytime, with an exception or two.

Poor fuel (bad gas), I see this every day at work. I'd say 60-70% of all motor issues we see can be traced back to bad/poor fuel. Plugged filters, burned up fuel pumps, not to mention just plain old gas that really isn't gas anymore. Poor routine maintenance See a lot of this too). Spark plugs fouled, low or no oil (4 strokes), wiring loose, etc. Attention to detail when needed, (kill switch got pulled, etc.). Read the "rookie mistakes" thread about how may of us have done this and other things, then imagine huge waves, cold water, panic setting in that the thing died in the first place and you can see how something like this could get overlooked.

I equate running a boat very similar to when I flew private planes, ALWAYS, always, always, be ready for the unexpected. Either have a mental checklist of what to do in any situation you can imagine, or have a physical checklist. Meaning, cycle everything, throttle, kill switch, key. Maintain your boat engine like your life depended on it, it might one day. Yearly/hourly maintenance, get it done. Fuel, run a stabilizer (Don's cocktail), cleaner and don't keep old fuel in the tank forever. Maintain your batteries, ensure their the right rating for your engine and then some since we all run so much extra stuff off the cranking battery, especially during tourneys. Give the wing nuts on your batteries the float test. Throw them in the water, if they float, use them, if not, use actual nuts.

Now, quite honestly I can only think of one thing that would cause an engine not to crank/die in rough water and hydraulic a cylinder or two. If you manage to somehow get enough water in be sucked into the intake, it's done. Water won't compress so the chances of the thing ever cranking again, until it's removed somehow is slim and none. I suppose, wiring coming loose could cause it too, but chances of being able to find what/where during a situation as short lived as heavy seas and the waves coming over the back and making it a lost cause again would be slim to none.

If you've done all the above to prevent anything from happening, ran your mental checklist when it does happen, and it still won't crank, then it's time to make sure you have the ability to survive. If at all possible, stay with the boat, very few actually sink to the point of going to the bottom.

__________________________________________________ ____
    The wife said \"Buy a new boat, you\'ll catch more fish\". Mines broken!

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HiTorq View Post
    Things that can make a outboard motor not start in rough water I'm sure are the same things that can make one not start anytime, with an exception or two.

Poor fuel (bad gas), I see this every day at work. I'd say 60-70% of all motor issues we see can be traced back to bad/poor fuel. Plugged filters, burned up fuel pumps, not to mention just plain old gas that really isn't gas anymore. Poor routine maintenance See a lot of this too). Spark plugs fouled, low or no oil (4 strokes), wiring loose, etc. Attention to detail when needed, (kill switch got pulled, etc.). Read the "rookie mistakes" thread about how may of us have done this and other things, then imagine huge waves, cold water, panic setting in that the thing died in the first place and you can see how something like this could get overlooked.

I equate running a boat very similar to when I flew private planes, ALWAYS, always, always, be ready for the unexpected. Either have a mental checklist of what to do in any situation you can imagine, or have a physical checklist. Meaning, cycle everything, throttle, kill switch, key. Maintain your boat engine like your life depended on it, it might one day. Yearly/hourly maintenance, get it done. Fuel, run a stabilizer (Don's cocktail), cleaner and don't keep old fuel in the tank forever. Maintain your batteries, ensure their the right rating for your engine and then some since we all run so much extra stuff off the cranking battery, especially during tourneys. Give the wing nuts on your batteries the float test. Throw them in the water, if they float, use them, if not, use actual nuts.

Now, quite honestly I can only think of one thing that would cause an engine not to crank/die in rough water and hydraulic a cylinder or two. If you manage to somehow get enough water in be sucked into the intake, it's done. Water won't compress so the chances of the thing ever cranking again, until it's removed somehow is slim and none. I suppose, wiring coming loose could cause it too, but chances of being able to find what/where during a situation as short lived as heavy seas and the waves coming over the back and making it a lost cause again would be slim to none.

If you've done all the above to prevent anything from happening, ran your mental checklist when it does happen, and it still won't crank, then it's time to make sure you have the ability to survive. If at all possible, stay with the boat, very few actually sink to the point of going to the bottom.
    Great words! thanks!

Im solo 99% of the time...and I also just so happened to almost drown (had to be rescued, CPR and all) when I was younger...ironically at my home lake lol So I think those two things have given me a big sense of respect for the water. I also got into a really dangerous situation on my kayak in the winter on these waters (unforecasted gusts) so that really hammered home the unpredictability of my lake and the potential danger. So I really try to prepare just like you said....like my life depended on it! cuz i feel it really does on my waters...people sadly drown yearly here.

Good to hear its nothing "extra" I should worry about beside staying on my Ps and Qs.

4. Member
    You ask a very good question here and like you we want to be the Boy Scout- always prepared. I recently asked someone that will know if not already does about big O incident at opening this year. My reasons were the same as yours- how do I prepare.
    1 way is to not go on the water, another is to protect yourself from the water. Pretty tough to get the good fish from shore.
    Anyway- as an industry I hope that we get a chance to read a report ie recommendations made to FLW or to fishing people for situations like early this year. Remember these people are professional anglers where we call ourselves novice.
    I read about PFD's - many types and colors available. We all wear them but is there one that is better than the others for color, auto deploy vs standard PFD, etc. Where does preparation end.
    I will continue to follow this post as 5 years as a bass boat owner and I know there is a lot to know.
    Don't panic is words to live by.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by watty View Post
    You ask a very good question here and like you we want to be the Boy Scout- always prepared. I recently asked someone that will know if not already does about big O incident at opening this year. My reasons were the same as yours- how do I prepare.
    1 way is to not go on the water, another is to protect yourself from the water. Pretty tough to get the good fish from shore.
    Anyway- as an industry I hope that we get a chance to read a report ie recommendations made to FLW or to fishing people for situations like early this year. Remember these people are professional anglers where we call ourselves novice.
    I read about PFD's - many types and colors available. We all wear them but is there one that is better than the others for color, auto deploy vs standard PFD, etc. Where does preparation end.
    I will continue to follow this post as 5 years as a bass boat owner and I know there is a lot to know.
    Don't panic is words to live by.
    My boy scout nature, like you put it, is actually why I used a standard PFD instead of the self inflate. Ive heard that the auto inflate has failed....and if its failed even once, thats too many for me cuz im solo and will have no help. Having a non-deploying PFD would basically sign my death certificate if I was ever to find myself in that type of situation. When youre solo you cant afford "extra" problems.

Did get caught in some nasty gusts last trip...rode them out in a cove like you mentioned. Be smart is prolly most important...its just a bit scary that some stuff ends up unavoidable when on the water.

6. Member
    I run with a standard PFD also for similar reasons. A few years back I was in a back bay and a wind burst came from the middle of no where and no bad weather in sight. Man a rude awakening for me. I like to fish alone on new waters so I can try stuff but if any boat hestitation if scares the crap out of me.
    I can swim in a house pool alright but 3-5 foot swells in a big lake is not for me.
    Be safe

7. Member
    One thing I notice on the Great Lakes that is hard on the Engine and lower unit is The prop constantly coming out of the water....losing the load on the prop and hitting high RPMS then slamming the prop back into the water and hitting it with the load again....We see alot of blown heads and lower units on rough days...The best way to stop this from happening is to slow down and try to keep your prop digging..
    As far as the boat sinking when losing power...Make sure your bilge pumps are in good shape and carry 2 bilge pumps screwed to a small piece of board with about 10 feet of hose and alligator clips for the battery...If things go bad throw the pumps onto the floor of your boat, hook up the clips to the battery and the pumps will empty your boat in a hurry..
    A few guys up here leave the board on the floor and run a switch to.the batteries and leave the setup semi permanent..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

something for your mental check in rough water could be as simple as enough water coming in, pulling your tether, preventing it from starting, add the stress of a bad situation and you may not figure it out in time
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089