Praying Need Fishfinder Help

I posted this on the Lowrance Forum and haven't received any replies, so I'm hoping for better results on this Forum.

I'm in the process of buying a 10 year old Ranger 1850 VS Reata that has the original Garmin GPSMAP 178c Sounder mounted at the console (with hull mounted transducer) and a Lowrance X52 at the bow (connected to a Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motor with Universal Sonar).

The Garmin is still in working order, but too hard for my old eyes to see well (3.2" screen).

The Lowrance screen is starting to fail (dark resolution).

I would like to upgrade the console unit to a 7" color screen and the bow unit to at least a 5" color screen. I'm not opposed to purchasing used equipment and being a recreational fisherman, don't need all of the whistles & bells that the professionals use.

The more I read about Hook, Chirp, Split-shot, etc. the more confused I get.

Questions:

What "budget friendly", 7" Lowrance units are compatible with the hull mounted transducer that's already on the boat?

What 5" (or larger) "budget friendly" Lowrance units will work with the Universal Sonar on the Minn Kota Maxxum? (I'm not sure if it's US1 or US2)

I appreciate any comments, suggestions, questions and/or offers to sell me some used equipment.

- WTR

Send Russle Marine a pm. He's a board sponsor.
    He has Hds gen 3 touch 7's on sale for 650.
    Not sure if thats budget friendly but That's a great deal . Pretty sure you can buy an adapter for the tm transducer. You could add sidescan down the road if you wanted.
    Not sure about the through hull but I bet he can tell you.
    The other lowrance units you mentioned are nice also.
    Look at some videos on YouTube to help you better understand what your getting.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
    I posted this on the Lowrance Forum and haven't received any replies, so I'm hoping for better results on this Forum.

I'm in the process of buying a 10 year old Ranger 1850 VS Reata that has the original Garmin GPSMAP 178c Sounder mounted at the console (with hull mounted transducer) and a Lowrance X52 at the bow (connected to a Minn Kota Maxxum trolling motor with Universal Sonar).

The Garmin is still in working order, but too hard for my old eyes to see well (3.2" screen).

The Lowrance screen is starting to fail (dark resolution).

I would like to upgrade the console unit to a 7" color screen and the bow unit to at least a 5" color screen. I'm not opposed to purchasing used equipment and being a recreational fisherman, don't need all of the whistles & bells that the professionals use.

The more I read about Hook, Chirp, Split-shot, etc. the more confused I get.

Questions:

What "budget friendly", 7" Lowrance units are compatible with the hull mounted transducer that's already on the boat?

What 5" (or larger) "budget friendly" Lowrance units will work with the Universal Sonar on the Minn Kota Maxxum? (I'm not sure if it's US1 or US2)

I appreciate any comments, suggestions, questions and/or offers to sell me some used equipment.

- WTR
    trust me,you are not alone.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

4. Member
    The newer units performance is somewhat dependent on the newer transducers.
    You Don't Know what you Don't Know until you Know.

1984 Champion 201/Yamaha 175
    1986 Ranger 390v/Yamaha 200
    2002 Viper Cobra Coosa 216/Mercury 225EFI
    2002 ProSports ProKat 2200/Twin Yamaha 150HPDIs