Thread: Co poly line..

Co poly line..

Does this line sink like flouro or float like mono.. won a spool in a raffle and was curious what I could use it for
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

It will float. Most "monofilament" IS Co-polymer. All that means is it's made from more than one type of nylon. There are over 50 different types of nylon. The toughness, stretch, strength, abrasion resistance and such are dependent on the mix of the different types.

Some of us think FC is not as wonderful as the pros claim, considering the price. Try the co-polymer!

What line did you win? Somebody may be able to suggest a use for it. All I ever "won" was Trilene XL, which I used for leaders on C'rig. It always broke before my mainline, which was always the same # test of a different brand...as expected and hoped for.

3. Member
    Gamma 6 lb test
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury

Crappie or leader on a DS. I've only used a little bit of 6 lb test, and that was FC (two brands). I had a co-worker that guided on weekends, and had a sponsorship from Gamma. He actually used Maxima, and said Gamma wasn't as tough as Maxima. Probably Gamma was smaller diameter, tho.

5. Member
    Will this work for a shakeyhead guys
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury

6. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NRX_fever View Post
    Will this work for a shakeyhead guys
    Will work just fine, give it a shot. I made the switch to copoly exclusively a few years back, all i use.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by A7T3C View Post
    Will work just fine, give it a shot. I made the switch to copoly exclusively a few years back, all i use.
    Good to hear.. I went ahead and spoiled my shakeyhead combo with it.. was just gonna try it.. thanks
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury

8. Banned
    Not trying to upset the apple cart.... anything will work. Many of you don't remember when all we had was Trilene and Stren mono. Still works everyday.

Gama copoly is very good. Les stretch than mono. A lot less expensive than floro and more supple. I use it for cranks, topwater, spinnerbaits and swimbaits.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

Quote Originally Posted by NRX_fever View Post
    Gamma 6 lb test

Having used miles and miles of 8 lb copolymer, I wouldn't use 6 or 8 lb test anything for Shakyheads. I use 10 lb FC on a baitcaster and very happy with it for Shakyheads.

my question is how long does copoly last? I have reels with fluorocarbon that I have been using for 3 years and not respooled. still just fine. If I could get the longevity out of copoly I would switch in a heartbeat.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

They're all different to start with. The Pradco lines have worked ok for me if spooled up for a couple years, but plan on using some Blakemore's or KVD Line Conditioner to keep the curly memory effect to a minimum. Some other brands may be more or less forgiving, but I can't comment on them. I like braid on spinning reels...a LOT!

I still would not attempt to fish a Shakyhead on 6 or 8 lb test anything. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but I've caught some nice fish on 10 lb FC. I would be confident using 10 lb Co-polymer line, though.

I like P Line CXX for spinner baits and and Crankbaiting. Nothing wrong with it. I do like the FC for other techniques.

14. Member
    Around here using 6 lb line is quite common for shakyheads, ned rigs, dropshot, wacky worm etc. You'll get more bites using 6 then 10. Guides have reels spooled with 6 lb test for clients to use, it's stronger than you think, as long as it's undamaged.