Full Circle...back to a Reata

I bought a new 2015 Ranger 1850 LS Reata when they first hit the market and it's been one of my favorite boats over the past 40+ years. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to use it nearly as much as I'd hoped and it was hard to justify it's cost, so in a weak moment, I sold it a few weeks ago. I instantly had seller's remorse, but knew that I had made a good financial decision.

My attention then turned to possibly buying an aluminum bass boat (Ranger RT188 or similar), which I could justify financially and a boat light enough to double tow behind my fifth wheel.

What I found with the aluminum bass boats is that they have a very limited passenger/weight capacity, which wasn't going to work for a PawPaw (me) and a hand-full of grandkids.

My attention then turned to an aluminum Multi-Species or Fish & Ski. After doing some research and talking to 5 or 6 Aluminum Deep-V owners to get their input of the pros & cons of owning a Tin Boat, I decided that I was a Glass-Guy, not a Tin Man. I also abandoned my double-towing plans, since most of the "higher quality", aluminum V-hulls were going to exceed the 3,000 pound tow rating of my fifth wheel.

As luck would have it, I found a like-new, one owner 2007 Ranger 1850VS Reata that had been serviced & maintained better that any other boat I'd ever seen (with the exception of my own).

I feel like I'm "having my cake & eating it, too", since I found a great boat and it cost less than 1/2 of what I got from my 2015 Reata. I think I'll sleep easier knowing that It will be easier to financially justifying it's existence, should I not be able to use it as much as I plan.

I'm back in a Reata.....Happy! Happy! Happy!

2. Member
    Just got my 1850 LS a year and a half ago. I LOVE it. It fishes great and I can take my kids out to ski or tube or whatever.

Congrats on the new rig!! Let’s see some good pics!!

3. Member
    Still love our 210, great boat. Enjoy!
    08 Ranger Reata 210
    Yamaha VMAX 225 HPDI

4. Member
    i think im gonna make a move to a reata.. but not the ski model. the one with flip up seats ..hows the rod storage?
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by 12many View Post
    i think im gonna make a move to a reata.. but not the ski model. the one with flip up seats ..hows the rod storage?
    All Reata's are what Ranger calls "Fish & Play" boats. What I've found, having owned three of them, is that they are much, much more "fishing" friendly than any of the other manufacturer's Fish & Ski boats.

There are various models/floor plans of the Reata, with some having the bench seating in the back and some having the flip-up jump seats. Definitely go with a model that has the jump seats, as you mentioned.

The rod storage will vary a little between years & specific models.

The 2015 1850LS Reata (making payments) that I just sold had good rod storage (maybe 10) in the floor and a lockable compartment for 2 rods in the port gunwale.

I now have a 2007 1850VS Reata (paid for), with similar rod storage in the floor and an open storage compartment in the port gunwale for 2 rods.

I owned numerous Ranger & Skeeter bass boats prior to my first Reata and for my lifestyle, can't see owning anything but a Reata.

A word of advice: There's nothing you can do to a Reata to make it run 67.8mph (like your Nitro).

Quote Originally Posted by fishinFamily View Post
    Just got my 1850 LS a year and a half ago. I LOVE it. It fishes great and I can take my kids out to ski or tube or whatever.

Congrats on the new rig!! Let’s see some good pics!!
    Here are some pictures of when I picked it up. I'm currently putting a spit-shine on it in my shop. She has to look NICE the first trip to the lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    ya not too worried on speed. just want ride and room..and bigger livewells. i can't box 27 and up walleye. and cant do great lakes fishing.

so long as it fits 8-10 rods. and 15-20 plano boxes. and has a stand up top for kids
    Last edited by 12many; 04-28-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

8. Member
    Cool boat...

9. Member
    Looks great!!!