Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Any reputable testing lab can setup for testing this Leash product for impact retention of an outboard. Mounting points will be the biggest variable.
    I agree with that. I guess I wasn’t thinking about any tests they could do without a real life situation. They could mount it and then have some sort of force that swings up to see if it holds. Maybe they have but haven’t posted anything on it. But for spending 400 bucks on it and the fact that it might work is enough for me. Now if we were talking thousands of dollars then that would be a different story. Kind of reminds me of these graph mounts we buy. Spend 400 bucks on machined plates that some make on their own for like 20 bucks and both do the same thing.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

I can't understand why anyone wants a motor spinning a stainless prop at 6K RPMS to stay with their boat if it comes loose. The last thing I want is that cheese grater flying around the back end of the boat. I'd be more likely to buy QD cables and let the insurance company buy me a new motor.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    I can't understand why anyone wants a motor spinning a stainless prop at 6K RPMS to stay with their boat if it comes loose. The last thing I want is that cheese grater flying around the back end of the boat. I'd be more likely to buy QD cables and let the insurance company buy me a new motor.
    100 % agree with that, but I guess the problem is certain hits can flip the motor onto the boat. I would be weary of a cable as it would prolly fail, or cause the motor to spin in a situation like explained above.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

This is a photo with the plate all the way up and the motor trimmed up much higher than needed for the motor mate but you can see how tight the leash is. When the plate is at normal operation levels of around 3” there is no issue for it being too tight when trimming all the way up.

MLF Invitationals Angler

MLF Invitationals Angler

6. mikesxpress
    Brett picture of the attachment point for the main cable to the boat?

MLF Invitationals Angler

I have long transom bolts so I was able to mount the leash to those. The standard bolts are too short. You can see where the poles mount to the plate. Some can mount the leash there if they have long enough bolts or no poles. I used a torque wrench and torqued the transom bolts down to 55 ft/lbs. I was alittle worried about mounting like this since it’s the bolts holding the plate to the boat. But the washer system on the leash seems much stronger than a standard washer. As you can see the old washer is flexed in from torquing it down over the past year as the nuts loosened up between maintenance.
    Last edited by haus9393; 04-18-2018 at 09:18 AM.

MLF Invitationals Angler

9. Member
    I'm kind of intrigued by the physics involved in flipping an engine into the boat. If the initial problem is a lower unit strike, it would certainly impart a force that would try to stop the forward motion of the engine as well as a rotational component due to the location of the transom attachment relative to the impact. Still, it would seem that the boat would want to keep going and get out from under a disconnected engine. In the cases where the engine ended up in the cockpit, was the underwater obstruction one that stopped the hull as well as the engine? In that case, it might "slip the leash" and just come head first forward.

Bottom line: If a company is selling a safety related product, they have a higher responsibility to test its effectiveness than a bait manufacturer does.

10. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    That's what I was concerned about when mounting that boss with the Spectra wound around it to the engine bolts. The main cable is now pulling at a right angle to the boss vs straight back. Not my product, but it would appear that using a grade 8 bolt to the side of the plate would give a straight pull on the boss.

Any Coast Guard information available for motors that landed in boats from such an impact ? Seems kinda far fetched that it would happen, but not impossible.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

12. Banned
    How about an "air bag net" mounted on the back of the midsection? Impact sensor deploy netting/mesh made of spectra that would entangle and stop the prop.

I remember seeing some info posted like a year or 2 ago on here about documented accidents where an engine landed on the back deck. There was probably 30 instances over maybe a 10 year period across the country. It was only bass boats and it was a mix of all Brands of motors and boats. It is rare but it does happen. I posted earlier in this thread about how my cousin had it happen. He was alone but hit a tree in 3 ft of water that was about 1" below the surface stuck in the sand and going about 40 mph. It was massive and its still there, honestly about 4ft in diameter washed out of a river in the delta . This happened in a heavily fished area of the lake as well. The lower unit struck it and the trim assembly area of the motor all broke and the engine flipped ass over tea kettle onto the back deck smashing the cowling off the battery box denting in the battery compartment lid and cracked the entire cowling. The motor bounced and fell back into the water. The transom and hull were heavily damaged as well and the boat was a total. It was a 2016 Phoenix with a Mercury. Lucky for him the area where the engine is mounted to the mounting plate did not break and acted like a hinge. I do see it from the other side as well how it is possible for this leash to slip and see where the doubt can come from. Im just explaining a story about why I have one and even with little to no testing why I will leave it on my boat because theres a good chance it will work. I feel at some point in my life a similar accident will occur to myself and im trying to be prepared for if it does.

MLF Invitationals Angler

I volunteer on an fist aid squad , Ive seen some crazy things happen in a car accident so I don't doubt it's possible. I've also unfortunately seen what a spinning prop does to the human body. As long as it can't make it worse like asked here swinging the motor in the event the leash fails I'd consider it. $400 is nothing compared to a life.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    That's what I was concerned about when mounting that boss with the Spectra wound around it to the engine bolts. The main cable is now pulling at a right angle to the boss vs straight back. Not my product, but it would appear that using a grade 8 bolt to the side of the plate would give a straight pull on the boss.
    I had the same thoughts. 90* pull, the washer is already bending in the eye it looks like, plus the sharp edge of the plate. Lots of failure points in that. A bolt close to the boat that allowed a straight pull would be way better

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I had the same thoughts. 90* pull, the washer is already bending in the eye it looks like, plus the sharp edge of the plate. Lots of failure points in that. A bolt close to the boat that allowed a straight pull would be way better
    The washer of the leash is not bent at all. The washer that goes between the leash and nut is bent.

MLF Invitationals Angler

17. Member
    400 bucks for unproven technology. Why not make it 6 or 8 hundred? Why stop at 4? The materials surely didn't cost anywhere near 400. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of r and d (research and development) money spent, and that's where most companies spend the big money creating a new product. Low and behold though, there'll always be someone on here implying that everyone else is cheap and a human life is worth more that whatever dollar amount is being tossed around. Not a bad concept but 400 bucks is insulting.
    2017 18trx, 200 proxs serial 2B401503

18. Member
    ( This is a copy and paste from the last forum post a couple of weeks ago regarding our product, thought I would share. Corey).

Hello guys, my name is Corey I run operations for The LEASH, great to see talk of our product here on BBC. We get lots of question about our product so I am going to try and answer a few of the commonly asked questions. Because of my schedule I am not able to be on these forum's as much as I would like so If you have any others feel free to IM me or send me an email @ CS.theleash@gmail.com.

* Every LEASH is hand made out of a "5x stronger than steel" liquid spun crystal fiber.

* We basically took 20 plus years of experience in NASCAR, Indy car, NHRA, Monster truck, etc. keeping wheels, hoods and gear boxes away from onlookers and on the tracks where they belong and brought that experience to the marine industry.

* The LEASH has been SFI tested and certified to meet NASCAR requirements.

* We recently finished up our first round of calculations with Oklahoma State University and to make a long story (study) short here is a quote from the studies.
    "The analysis completed on the Leash system was performed by mechanical engineering staff and student interns at Oklahoma State University and took into consideration: Impact and momentum calculations for vessel motor collision with a submerged object for a variety of commonly found boats, impact period given various motor geometries, actual material properties and configurations of the uniquely strong Leash cable, and Leash system fastener types and specifications.

An oversimplified conclusion is that the Leash will not be the weakest link in the transom and motor assembly when installed on any boat size up to that with a 250hp motor ensuring the safety of the motorists. It will aid in the prevention of a potential detachment of the motor and/or damage to the boat transom."

* We are about to begin our physical/mechanical strike tests with Oklahoma State University with results being released in the fall.

* Yes lots of "PRO'S" are running The LEASH, Aaron Martens, Jason Christie, Randy Howell, Justin Lucas to name a few and we do not pay or sponsor anyone to run or endorse our product.

* The LEASH is a simple product designed and engineered to help reduce the risk of a outboard motor ending up in your lap in the case of a strike with submerged or semi submerged object.

* The United States Coast Guard recently recognized that what we call "the accident" has occurred hundreds of times from 2010 to 2014.

- http://www.propellersafety.com/12723/outboard-flipped/nbsac-95-outboard-motors-flipping-into-boats/

Sorry so long, I could go on for pages. Drop me a line if you have other questions. Have a great weekend , be safe out there, Corey

19. Member
    We maintain a list of large outboards breaking off and flipping into boats. The list is currently being updated.
    If you know of one not one there, please contact us.
    http://www.propellersafety.com/wordp...flipped-in.pdf
    gary

20. Member
    Fear sells faster than sex.

What speeds are needed to shear off the motors ? The O B & boat companies are at fault ?? Me thinks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast