2001 Ranger z520vx

I'm in the market for a bass boat. I have owned several Nitros over the years that ranged from 17-20 feet. My latest is a 1996 896 Savage DC. I really like the boat, but the oil injection system failed and I put a rod through the block. I'm looking at a 2001 Ranger 520 with a 225. If anyone knows the storage length with motor trimmed down and tongue folded. Also, what could I expect from preformance. It has a 225 Optimax on it. Very clean boat, good carpet, 101# Fortrex on it. Sharp as can be. Pros and Cons would be appreciated.

2. Member
    One if the best boats Ranger has ever built. Loved mine but sold it due to continuing motor issues (Evinrude FICHT). Not a speed demon, though. Mid-60s loaded.

3. Member
    I had a 2000 520VX/225 Opti. I could touch 67-68 on a good day. Mine had a 6" Bob's Hydraulic jack plate with a REMOVABLE tongue (that sucker was HEAVY). Anyway, I could angle it and fit into my 23' garage with 2" to spare. Best Ranger hull ever built. I really can't think of any cons. I sold mine and moved to a BassCat Jaguar (old 20' model) with a Mercury Racing 250XS. Talk about a world of difference. Anyway, if the price is reasonable, I would jump on it. If the Opti is 17 years old, plan on replacing it sooner rather than later.

4. wsimpson
    Love the 520s. Had a ‘00 520svx with an ‘02 Optimax 225 (470 hours) w/Smartcraft and 6” hydro jackplate - no swing away. Myself normally loaded would run high 60’s at 5700 RPM. Just recently replaced it with an ‘03 35th Anniversary 520dvx with an ‘03 Ficht and 6” hydro jackplate - hasn’t been on the water yet but I expect similar performance. If you buy it, replace starter battery with a PM-1 or equivalent if necessary for the necessary CCA and always: 1 - warm it up before getting on the throttle, and 2 - wind it down after a long run, and use fuel treatments. I never had a single issue with the Optimax...

5. Member
    I appreciate the feedback. This one had the power head replaced last year and the lower unit replaced the year before that. Would that scare you guys away from it, or not. I've never dealt with a motor with a replaced powerhead. Less than 100 hours on the rebuild, he wants 15k for it. Looks like a good deal. I don't think I'll get hurt in this deal
    Last edited by FishingJoe; 04-14-2018 at 06:54 PM.

6. Banned
    Looks like a good deal. I don't think I'll get hurt in this deal

Thats all that matters. Nobody here is going to help in the purchase, I would've but You didn't ask, so what We think isn't important. "Think long, think wrong..." If You wait long enough You're apt to run into somebody that heard from someone who had that model and it was a POS. Nothing but trouble, yada, yada, yada. The person who would shit on someone else's joy is nothing more than a turd w/peanuts in it, it doesn't even stick together it is so miserable. It wants to avoid itself, and makes stains going down..

Have You done ample research? What do other Rangers of this pedigree bring? Are their powerheads rebuilt? How much are powerheads in case You HAVE to buy one?

Trust Me, I'm not trying to dissuade You from a purchase of a Ranger™, they're great, I float one Myself.

*also see: Law of Attraction. A lot of these folks 'attract' their own calamity, You don't strike Me as the type, so May the wind be at Your back! Enjoy Your 'new' Ranger™

7. wsimpson
    I’ll try and help by placing myself in your position; after all, I was just in your position about three weeks ago and searched for several months.

You’re an experienced boat owner (presumed buyer and seller) so your familiar with the standard stuff but just in case: How long has the current owner owned it? Is the power head under warranty and if so by whom and from where? Same questions on the lower unit. Does the seller have the repair and service records? Make a solid offer contingent on it checking out by an authorized service center on your dime - compression, leak down, freeze frame, faults. Make arrangements to run it on the water under load. I also observe the seller’s other possessions for insight on how they care for their toys, etc. yeah, it’s profiling but just my approach.

Its always a crap shoot when buying anything out of warranty. Complete your due diligence. Then, you pay your money and take your chances.

I couldn’t comment on the ask without all the details.

Good luck...

Is it near Rockford IL? I saw it online. Looks like a good deal. Those models are in demand. I know I looked for 3-4 months for one. Look at the adds here. Average condition with
    300-800 hrs on them guys are asking high teens to low 20s. You can throw thousands at a boat like that.
    Carpet $800-1200
    Seats $500-1000
    Livewell&Bilge pumps $300 to have replaced
    Electronic $1k-2k
    Gel repair $1k-2k
    Trolling motor upgrade $1k-2.5k
    Don't know what this one needs but $15k ish leaves room to spruce up.
    That's what I'm doing......but not for everyone. Good luck
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

9. Member
    This actually my fishing partners boat. I can tell you that the motor is solid. All the work was done by Anglers edge in Rockford and the injectors done by brucato. And brand new compressor. I wouldn’t worry about the motor or boat at all.

10. Member
    I have a 2001 DC, with an Opti. Sounds about what you're looking at. I measured, and it looks to be about 24 feet, give or take a few inches, tongue folded back, with the motor down.

I ordered this rig new, and it's been a good one. I did have the Opti issue common, for this year, but Merc replaced the powerhead, and it's been great since.

Mine runs about 62 to 64, no jackplate. This boat has been solid, and it's great to fish out of. Laying rods on the deck can be a pain due to being a dual console, but I wouldn't change a thing. If it has cool hubs, check them out good. To me, that's the weak link in the trailer. Also, put some weight on the compartments, as some have been known to be weak and crack. I'm not being negative here, just giving you a heads up on possibilities. Every boat has its own quirks.

I can't speak of the one you are considering as I've never seen it, but I wouldn't sell mine for 15 grand.

Best of luck.