Sandblasting Tin Boat

I’ve got a 2002 Fisher boat that is currently painted. Unfortunately, the paint looks like crap. Right down the road I have a professional sandblasting shop and was thinking about taking my boat there and just having them boat it down to bare aluminum. Anyone ever done this, and is there a downfall to doing it?

I did a 18’ tunnel hull this past year. It was white and the customer wanted it plain aluminum. So I used stripper to get the white paint off. Then sanded the aluminum a few rounds. The customer was good with it. If you get someone to blast you need to make sure they’re good with aluminum...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    you have to be very careful on the product you use. i can not be coarse at all. i would think ground walnut shell would be your best bet. i wouldn't use anything like black beauty or any silica based product. i would look more into water blasting as that is not as harmful to the metal.

4. Member
    Soda blasting media. Anything more abrasive will cut through any weak spots. It will also eliminate just about all the sanding, and leave it scuffed enough for proper adhesion for primer and paint.

5. Member
    I would hope that the professional sandblasting service can give you the advice you need on how best to sandblast the boat.
    - Rods & Reels are like women. The more expensive they are the lighter they are ... the cheaper they are the heavier they are. -