Why trolling motors on port side

Most trolling motors seem to be mounted on the port side, any reason for this, I want to add some steps to my trailer and it would make more sense to put them on the drivers side of the trailer, so you wouldn't have to step over trailer tongue to get to the steps, just curious

thanks

visibility is the only reason i can think of
    -Justin
    2006 Stratos 294 - 200 Merc Optimax

3. Cobra Boats Moderator Backlash Ar's Avatar
    This ^

I thought I would be on Easy Street by now but somehow I missed the off ramp!

4. Member
    Visibility.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

5. Banned
    +++ Visability... Dan

6. Member
    My Champion the trolling motor is on Starboard side. But my Triton and most other's are Port side. I think it's for visibility also for docking.
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

7. Member
    If fishing alone, the weight of the TM might help balance the boat by partially offsetting the driver weight.

Some boats they are mounted dead center

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Some boats they are mounted dead center
    Sterling bass boats .

10. Banned
    I thought Allison™ had them in the middle but they seem to be a little to the left.

You know what else? Those Allisons are bitchin Too bad they go too fast.

11. Banned
    My old Stratos was on the drivers side

12. Member
    I speak from experience. I owned a boat that had one mounted starboard. Never thought about until I purchased my boat that had one on the port side, I thought WOW what a difference. I could actually see things ahead of me much clearer. I agree with most, visibility.

13. Member
    I believe center mounted are less stress on the mount as it doesn't twist mount linkage when you move. I've had Skeeters, Gamblers, and Sterlings and I can tell the difference as the Skeeters (8) all acquired sloppy linkage over time. I agree that vision is probably why they've been mounted on port side over the years but mounted straight it allows both driver and passenger to have better visual.

14. Member
    I saw a boat the other day that had two trolling motors, one on each side. Not sure what was up with that.
    Hi Mike.

Mine is mounted on the starboard side - had it done that way when I bought it back in '95 for a couple reasons:
    1) I'm dominantly right-handed, and have more grip strength and control in my right hand (hurt my left arm when I was a kid & lost a bit of coordination with left hand). It's much more natural for me to pull on the cord to raise/lower the TM with my right hand vs. left.
    2) I hold all my rods in my left hand, and it is very natural for me to lift the TM with my right while holding tension on the rod with my left. E.g., fighting big muskies around the TM, or working into a shallow blow down to retrieve a lure from a wayward cast (which happens far more frequently than I care to admit. lol).
    If I'm ever fortunate enough to get a new boat, I'm pretty sure I'll have to convert to port-side TM... but if it's The Right Boat, I'm sure I'd get used to it pretty quick.

16. Member
    Back in the early 70s and earlier 80s they were rigged with the troll motors on drivers side of boat. Then they moved them for visibility.