Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Similar concept, The Jika is a little more free to move because the link between weight and hook is more open. Thus I feel it presents better with more action. The long weight folds back as it moves along and does not dig in allowing it to be moved faster with less snags and less bottom disturbance. Making up your own permits you more opportunity to match components to the bait used and conditions you are fishing. And using round bend snaps makes quick changes without retying easy.
    Last edited by Skeeterbait; 04-19-2018 at 08:45 AM.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeterbait View Post
    Similar concept, The Jika is a little more free to move because the link between weight and hook is more open. Thus I feel it presents better with more action. The long weight folds back as it moves along and does not dig in allowing it to be moved faster with less snags and less bottom disturbance. Making up your own permits you more opportunity to match components to the bait used and conditions you are fishing. And using round bend snaps makes quick changes without retying easy.
    Just put a TW order earlier this week. Bought some terminal tackle....and I saw those rigs as I was shopoping! Wanted to order one just to do it....but didnt cuz I had no idea how to fish or what to even rig on it! lol Ill keep this in mind and try to rig some up myself

I have bought into the Jika rig hook, line and sinker, literally. Jika was developed in Japan. The word Jika means direct and refers to direct connecting a weight to a hook using a split ring or round bend snap. It is far superior to standard bullet weight Texas rigs. It gets hung far less, especially in broken rock bottoms, and the hook has the ability to swivel and allow the bait to swing and float with natural movement. It gives a very natural presentation on fall, and really makes a crayfish or soft swimbait presentation come alive when bounced along the bottom. Will even allow a swim, bounce, swim action that really resembles a minnow feeding along the bottom. Now the rig can be bought made up from Owner (they call it Jig Rig), you get their hooks and it is kinda expensive. You can make your own up using fatter metal eye sinkers easily obtained in the USA and your own preferred hooks. You can modify dropshot weights and a tiny split ring. I found a source in Japan and stocked up on the thin weights like Owner uses in three weights, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 and I make up rigs using hooks from 2/0 to 4/0 in three styles depending on the bait I will use with it. I have them made up ahead of time but I use Gamakatsu G-finesse snaps to make quick changes without retying. The reduced snags and increased strikes makes it a great soft plastic presentation method for beginner or pro alike in my opinion.

Demo video from Owner.

How I rig mine.

From the lure and hook orientation, it looks like you'd drag the craws forward instead of the typical rearward direction. Is that correct?

I have been wondering how that would work, but it seems like it would be pretty slow. I've seen video of live craws hiking along the bottom, and they were not moving very fast. I've thought about dragging one slowly, "eyes forward", but do so good with a Shakyhead/Zoom lizard, it just doesn't seem like it'd pay off any better. I know which way lizards go, and it's always forward. Not so with craws!

4. Banned
    what weights should I use? I kinda really wanna try this now! lol

Guessing skinny dropshot weights and just open the eye? what about these?

I see your point about the picture but that was not my intention. I do rig all craws tail first to drag and bounce backward. That is the primary way they move and is more natural.

I use 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 oz. Stacey King frequently mentions fishing Jika with 1/2 oz but that is heavier than I like. You can take a knife blade and pry open the line pinch on a dropshot weight but it will still work better to add a tiny split ring onto the weight before making the rig up. Slips easier and separates the weight from the hook eye a bit.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Does it get any easier than a Senko™ weightless?
    This^^^^^^
    Y'all be careful out there and don't catch'em all!

7. Member
    Drag a tube. About as easy as it gets. But here are many ways to fish a tube.
    Dave

I see your point about the picture but that was not my intention. I do rig all craws tail first to drag and bounce backward. That is the primary way they move and is more natural.
    I didn't think you rigged them to drag forward (claws to the front), but that is how real crawdads move unless they are spooked or taking evasive actions. In theory, if there is a bass near them, they should go into the claws up defensive stance, so hooked in the tail is sensible. But then again, you'd think a bass would love to hit one moving slowly, ignorant of their presence. I'm gonna try it, one of these days. I just don't get any action from a craw on a Shakyhead. One of my PB smallies did come from a craw on a splitshot rig...and right after I ran out of reapers. Hmmmm.

9. Banned

Just got back from academy! Drop shot weights and split rings are ready....really intrigued by the jika rig! Def gonna try the other stuff too....tubes especially....but im tying this one on next trip 100%.

10. Banned

I use 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 oz. Stacey King frequently mentions fishing Jika with 1/2 oz but that is heavier than I like. You can take a knife blade and pry open the line pinch on a dropshot weight but it will still work better to add a tiny split ring onto the weight before making the rig up. Slips easier and separates the weight from the hook eye a bit.
    So I had some boat problems and the day was cut way short and only caught one fish (my lakes tough too)....but that fish came on a black blue Jika'd rage craw! I still got learning and confidence to gain with it....but this is gonna be my go to and I am 100% committed to throwing and learning this rig.

I tend to throw football jigs to avoid snags since my lakes rocky...but I still get hung up pretty often and end up losing jigs. LOVED the way this stuff slipped through most everything! This is likely to be the only rig I throw for soft plastics....i really feel itll excel on my lake. I see what you mean about 1/2 oz being big...I was using 3/8 and thought it mightve been too much. Ill prolly stick to 3/8 and lower unless im tossing it deep.

One thing i wanna try with the jika now....dragging and bouncing a tube, and also tossing on a Hula grub for the smallies....what do you think about those baits?

Glad it works for you. I tend to fish the lightest weight that wind will permit me to keep bottom contact with. Often I start with 1/8 and go heavier as the wind picks up later in the day. Or I just go to more of a swimming lure and less of a dragging lure. To me a tube or a twin tail grub like a hula grub when drug on the bottom constitute a crawfish presentation. They should work well matched to a proper hook style. I just picked up some new Zoom Z-Hog Jr in California 420 and watermelon red flake that I am looking forward to using. And yes, the longer and thinner the weight used greatly decreases snags due to it folding back and not digging into crevasses.

12. Banned
    Glad it works for you. I tend to fish the lightest weight that wind will permit me to keep bottom contact with. Often I start with 1/8 and go heavier as the wind picks up later in the day. Or I just go to more of a swimming lure and less of a dragging lure. To me a tube or a twin tail grub like a hula grub when drug on the bottom constitute a crawfish presentation. They should work well matched to a proper hook style. I just picked up some new Zoom Z-Hog Jr in California 420 and watermelon red flake that I am looking forward to using. And yes, the longer and thinner the weight used greatly decreases snags due to it folding back and not digging into crevasses.
    Yes sir! Thanks for putting me onto the technique too....now I just gotta hope tacticalbassin or some other bigger youtuber doesnt blow up this technique! lol

I was actually thinking of the zcraw...both sizes and maybe even a beaver! Get it to look like a bluegill....i wonder how that would do on beds?! prolly can make it look just like bluegill do when theyre eating bass eggs!!!

I might not be on the water for a few months....but this is gonna be my confidence go to soon enough! I should fish it a ton in the fall too....spring and fall are my heavy fishing times

13. Member
    get a couple packs of these -- http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Yamam...page-YAFI.html maybe one of the watermelon colors
    Gamakatsu 4/0 Deep throat ewg hooks http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamak...page-GDTH.html then curse me later.

They cast great skip great get to bottom quick where you can work it back popping it off bottom or twitch twich pause

Rig like this

14. Member
    Just wanted to thank all of you for the thread, and your contribution therein.

I don't fish plastics as much as I should, although there isn't anything I don't have, and haven't fished. But I'll throw cranks, swims, jigs, jerks, poppers, frogs, etc. and an occasional shaky head, A-rig, C-rig or T-rig on most every trip. And while I have d-shots setup, even the offset d-shot hooks, I tend not to throw them, weightless or wacky for some reason.

But it's not me as much as my WIFE that this thread is geared towards. That woman just will NOT throw plastic! I mean of any kind! I'm going to get her to read this thread. Ahhh who am I kidding, I'm going to tell her the highlights!

She'll throw a crank, and more often than not.... a squarebill time, after time, after time. In fact, she's IN LOVE with her 1.5 & 2.5 KVD Gizzard Shad's. So much so that I had to go buy her a couple more a week ago! OTOH, last time to the lake she skunked me, 6:1 and all she threw ALL DAY was that 1.5 Gizzard Shad!

Of course she's not terribly fond of baitcasters either. She's got some nice spinning rigs, all on Duckett Pro rods (that she's gotten spoiled with) and she's darned good with them. As for a baitcaster, I tried her on a couple lesser ones, Tour KVD, then a Pro Qualifer and she wouldn't touch them. Got her a Tatula CT Type R last fall and she *MIGHT* use it here and there. (She's R-handed, me L so I don't use hers.) Saw the Tackle Trap deal on the SV's and texted her telling her I was getting some, and one for her. (Been telling her about them since I bought the Type R's.) Was an easy sell with the free jersey offer.

Hopefully she'll fall in love with the SV and start using one. AND PLASTICS!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    By far the easiest soft plastic rig to learn and instantly catch fish (all species that bite lures) is a simple, unpainted ballhead jig and plastic lure with exposed hook.

When we hear the term grub used, we automatically think curl tails or Sassy Shad. But if I had to define what a grub is, I would say it is any soft plastic lure you can attach to a jighead that displays action of some kind. The Ned rig uses a soft stick rigged on a mushroom jig, but the concept is there all the same: weighted hook and quivering body.

Ill try a naked ball head jig....ive fished a skirted ballhead jig. But was imitating a craw, not the grub style like you mentioned. that cut tail worm and tiny ballhead looks nuts....I figure that takes some skill reeling in?!

Just ordered some damiki and owner straight shank hooks. Im gonna add some heat shrink tubing keepers on it....and make it my jika rig set up. Ive for some reason convinced myself a straight shank hook will be killer on the jika rig. What do you all think about straight shank hook jika rigs?

Quote Originally Posted by FishInTheDesert View Post
    What do you all think about straight shank hook jika rigs?
    They work fine as long as you consider weedless hooks if needed in the cover you are fishing. Note the hooks I use on mine for craw baits. They are VMC Weedless Neko straight shaft hooks in 2/0. I rig the craws exposed hook in the tail and let the monofilament weedguard prevent hangups. Using exposed hook in thick baits elmiminates the need for big wide gap hooks and the lighter hook lets the bait float more freely.

17. Banned
    They work fine as long as you consider weedless hooks if needed in the cover you are fishing. Note the hooks I use on mine for craw baits. They are VMC Weedless Neko straight shaft hooks in 2/0. I rig the craws exposed hook in the tail and let the monofilament weedguard prevent hangups. Using exposed hook in thick baits elmiminates the need for big wide gap hooks and the lighter hook lets the bait float more freely.
    lol

I think I "didnt see" the straight shank hook in your pics....and made up the idea myself!!! lol just noticed that in the bottom left corner...prolly noticed it before but it only registered subconsciously....and thats prolly where I got the idea that straight shank hooks would work.

I didnt see many of the weedless straight shanks on the cheaper end I was looking. Planning to put the shrink tubing keeper on it like flipping baits so I can still keep the baits texposed and trying to keep as weedless as possible. Ill look for the weedless ones next tackle warehouse order.

18. Banned
    So im being cheap and didnt order these hooks weedless. Planning to T-rig it so hoping thatll be enough. Used eagle claw barrel swivels...and I really hope I dont regret that! lol

I see that you used the snaps....and again, Im cheap. I had a bag of SS split rings so just went with 2 split rings....but one thing I noticed when i took the rig to the pond to test out kinda worried me. I noticed when I was reeling in the remaining few feet/yards of line to cast out again...the bait would swim sideways, with the hook laying horizontally....didnt seem natural and like itd cause missed bites. It swam normally for the most part...but I think that when I reel quickly/burn it, is what caused it to go sideways. So then I got to brainstorming and decided to go double split ring and a barrel swivel. Lets see how it goes.

Tell me what you think? All hooks are 5 ought....ill match the bait to the hooks....mostly rage craws KOs or beavers likely! I dunno why but i think a beaver with chartreuse tips is gonna kill at my home lake....im even thinking of using the 3/16 on a spinning rod and trying to skip it under docks!!!

19. Banned
    Good read here....and he power fishes it too! I think this is gonna be tied on close to 100% of the time....just changing baits, and also weights when needed! Rig seems so versatile! I have some 4/0 straight shank hooks too....but i think i wont throw them since that size looks good for worms (too much plastics with rage craw even) and I prolly wont throw worms on this for another month or so, or when the summer days get super hot!

Deep worming on a jika seems like it can be a good deal....

http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest-...jika-rig-king/

I think the barrel swivel is overkill and likely the problem with retrieve. Try removing it and tie directly to the split ring the hook is attached to. And using split rings instead of snaps is the original means of making them up. I just us snaps to speed up makeups and changes on the go. If using snaps they have to be short round loop snaps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast