Thread: Trade in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trade in

I am considering very seriously trading my 2018 z185 for a 519. I have not contacted any dealers yet. I guess my question is, how can I expect the trade value to be on a near new boat. I have my eye on a couple new boats and would like to make this transaction as quick as possible. I really don't have time to wait on a private buyer, anyone have experience trading in a near new ranger? Thanks!

2. Banned
    Call three or four that boat should sell quickly so you should get a good price but it will be a hit

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    A nearly new boat should be a fairly quick sell for the dealer, IF he has a few thousand to discount it over a brand new one. Expect to lose 3 or 4 thousand, but if you love the 519 much more, it still could be worth it to you. Get the G2 on your 519. Unreal.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Scraps
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I'm pining for a G2 or SHO. The good thing is your boat is a popular model and should sell easily. But on a trade, as opposed to selling yourself, gonna guess that might cost you $2k versus selling it yourself. Oh, and the 519 is one impressive fishing machine.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Member
    Sounds like you have plenty of money to waste so just do it and don’t look back...
    2015 189 trx

When considering sell vs. trade check your state sales tax laws. In Michigan for example, if you trade it in, the trade in value is subtracted from the taxable sales amount of the new boat. An example: used boat is worth $30k in trade. New boat is $50k. You would pay tax on $20k if you trade, but the full $50k if you sell the used boat outright. You would need to get an additional $1800 selling the used boat outright just to break even

7. Member
    Gonna lose more than a couple grand trading. Bet 20% or more from what you paid for it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    Gonna lose more than a couple grand trading. Bet 20% or more from what you paid for it.
    Two Ranger dealers offered me ~33% less than I paid on a 6 months old z175 on trade in for a z521. I sold it myself. Once you pull it off the lot it goes from new to used and value decreases dramatically.
    2017 Ranger z521c Ranger Cup
    Dual Lowrance hds12 Console
    Dual Lowrance hds12/9 Bow
    Power Poles
    Mercury 250 Optimax ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by THOEFT View Post
    You hit the nail on the head!

Regardless of how the Dealer massages & manipulates the numbers to make the transaction look less painful, you're going to lose 20%. The exception would be if the Dealer has a potential buyer in his pocket, wanting that particular boat. Otherwise, the dealer will have to floorplan a used boat, in hopes that he'll find a customer that wants that specific model, in that specific color combination, with that specific motor, with that specific trolling motor, with those specific fish finders, etc., etc.

The first owner always takes the greatest hit on depreciation.

As a consumer, it would take a significant discount for me to buy a "used" 2018 over a brand new 2018. If the used boat wasn't equipped exactly as I wanted it, it would take an even larger discount to convince me to buy it.

Unless the OP just has money to throw away, my advise would be to keep what he has and enjoy it for a year or two. I'm sure it will catch just as many fish as the new model he's lusting for.

10. Scraps
    Could always axe a prospective dealer to put your boat on his site on consignment and see how many hits you get.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

11. Member
    I would bet on a 36K boat you wont see more than 25k maybe 26k. It is only money...LOL

12. Member
    IMO, that’s a substantial boat upgrade but only you can figure out if it’s worth it.

I don’t think you will be happy with what any dealer offers you but you won’t know until you try.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z7extreme View Post
    Sounds like you have plenty of money to waste so just do it and don’t look back...
    FYI, I don't have money to waste, I have worked really hard to put myself in a financial position to be able to enjoy my bass fishing addiction. As for everyone else, thank you for the good info

14. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    One last thought for the OP: if it were me, I’d go back to the same dealer from whom I got the Z185. He stands to make a significant profit on a second boat within 6 months, from the same guy. He isn’t going to give you new price for your trade-in, but if he cuts you no slack over any other customer in that situation, he should lose a good customer forever more. Double profit in less than a year gives him lots more latitude to treat you decently.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

15. Member
    Agree

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    One last thought for the OP: if it were me, I’d go back to the same dealer from whom I got the Z185. He stands to make a significant profit on a second boat within 6 months, from the same guy. He isn’t going to give you new price for your trade-in, but if he cuts you no slack over any other customer in that situation, he should lose a good customer forever more. Double profit in less than a year gives him lots more latitude to treat you decently.
    This is my plan, good advise, thanks

17. Member
    I looked into trading my 14 when it was 2 yrs old. they offered me $23k on a 2 yr old boat which out the door was $46k new. So I am thinking you will take a big hit trading it in. You may want to sell it yourself. Someone can get a brand new condition boat for a discount from you, rather than pay full price for a new boat. Just curious, why are you wanting to trade the Z185?
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badMackrel View Post
    I looked into trading my 14 when it was 2 yrs old. they offered me $23k on a 2 yr old boat which out the door was $46k new. So I am thinking you will take a big hit trading it in. You may want to sell it yourself. Someone can get a brand new condition boat for a discount from you, rather than pay full price for a new boat. Just curious, why are you wanting to trade the Z185?
    like I said he has plenty of money. If it was me I wouldn’t even be on here asking for advice... just do what I want.
    2015 189 trx

You will pay a “convienece” fee. Selling it back to the dealer is fast and easy. The dealer knows this which is why he will not give you what it is worth. The dealer is in the business to make money, not be friends. If you get a great price on the new boat, that probably means the dealer gave you a bad deal on the old boat. The dealer will make money on the trade in by buying low and selling high. Then the dealer will make money on the new rig as well. This is why dealers love trade-in’s. If you do get a good deal on your trade in, that means the mark up on the new rig was so much the dealer was happy. It’s all a numbers game.

20. Member
    same or worse than a car dealer,good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast