New...and ignorant to trim tabs

Hi guys. Never had trim tabs til now and am trying to figure out how best to use them. I have a 2002 2200 with a 250 XB, running a 26p trophy plus. When I lower my trim tabs any more than halfway, it tends to blow out about half way through my hole shot. Anybody have any experience on what might cause this? Thanks guys.

2. Member
    Im no expert whatsoever on props but it sounds like you are either a few things or a combo of them.
    Motor set too high and loosing bite.
    Almost seems like a small prop for an XB.

The way I do it. 2100 with a 250 XS trim tabs all the way down and motor trimmed down, as soon as I punch it to take off and the bow thinks about starting to come down Im pulling my tabs up.
    Other than that Im not real sure what else could be causing it. Our Gboats are real butt heavy and the tabs are a huge help. Also can be used almost like brakes on the water and helps the boat from not backwashing.
    Somebody else should come along with more ideas.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

Soon as you feel it starting to break over, pull the tabs up. then adjust them after you've planed out.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

4. Member
    Could be a prop issue. My 28 Bravo 1 jumps out of the hole with the motor at any height with no blowout. My 29 Bravo XS blows out bad similar to your problem unless the motor is all the way down on the plate.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. I've tried dropping the jack plate down further and it doesn't make a difference. The prop doesn't blow out unless the tabs are down. I'll try and shoot some video just in case I'm not describing it correctly.

Regarding the prop I'm planning on re-propping as soon as I can get a tachometer from gambler. Previous owner pulled it to mount the HDS 12. I'll probably replace the flasher with the tach. Seems like the 28 bravo is a favorite with this 2200/XB setup?

6. Member
    I know a worked 28 Bravo 1 is a great prop for a 2100 and 250 combo. Shouldnt be much difference on a 2200. I was running a 27 Trophy when I first got the boat and didnt like the performance. I got my Bravo from Matt Lahti in Texas and he worked his magic on it. That prop was a beast on holeshot and you couldnt get it to blowout no matter what I did. Slung an ear or hit something not sure and got another one from him and had him tweak it for more rpms and I can get this one to blow out. I highly recommend Matt when it comes to props especially for Gamblers. He knows his stuff.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

7. Member
    If your XB is Smartcraft gauge capable just get one of those. It’ll read rpms and much more. Just dont know if its capabale or not.
    '06 Gambler 2100
    '06 Mercury Racing 250XS

i ran a 26 trophy on a 2100 w an XB. It will get you good #'s when it's right but is def more prone to blow out than a bigger barrel prop like a bravo. Much more weight and water temp sensitive. If you want to continue to run it and get rid of the blowout you need to vent it a little less by using the merc plugs. Meaning if you have no plugs in I'd start by plugging 2 with solid ones. Or 4 large and adjust from there. It's a balancing act with that trophy for sure. If you get it right in the summer to where it doesn't blow out than when it cools down it is likley to start again and vice versa. IF you fish tx's with it and the weight you carry varies quite a bit throughout the year(along with the weight of another person that you fish with) I'd recommend the same as others have suggested (the 28 Bravo xs) or else your gonna be constantly chasing it.

9. Member
    Thanks guys. No smartcraft ability on this motor unfortunately. I'm running it in AZ and the water temps are already over 70. I appreciate the advice you all provide here. I've learned alot just going through the older posts.

Quote Originally Posted by white gambler View Post
    i ran a 26 trophy on a 2100 w an XB. It will get you good #'s when it's right but is def more prone to blow out than a bigger barrel prop like a bravo. Much more weight and water temp sensitive. If you want to continue to run it and get rid of the blowout you need to vent it a little less by using the merc plugs. Meaning if you have no plugs in I'd start by plugging 2 with solid ones. Or 4 large and adjust from there. It's a balancing act with that trophy for sure. If you get it right in the summer to where it doesn't blow out than when it cools down it is likley to start again and vice versa. IF you fish tx's with it and the weight you carry varies quite a bit throughout the year(along with the weight of another person that you fish with) I'd recommend the same as others have suggested (the 28 Bravo xs) or else your gonna be constantly chasing it.
    this is spot on!
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

11. Member
    Went out today just for some seat time. I think I was leaving them down too long. Today I brought them up as the nose lowered and they worked great. If I just left them down it would blow out. Thanks for the advice guys.

Regarding the prop are you guys suggesting the Bravo 1 or the Bravo 1 XS? I know Faro was running the regular bravo 1 and had it worked.

Bravo 1 xs is the one you need. It has a set of pvs adjustable holes

13. Member
    Cool. Really appreciate the help!

get the 28XS with DUAL(8total) PVS holes...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

15. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Bravo 1 xs is the one you need. It has a set of pvs adjustable holes
    He's gonna need dual PVS as the single set wont be enough to get the 2200 to plane. The difference between the 2100 and 2200 was simple...the stock barrel flare of the standard Bravo1 was lifting the stern so high, it would cause the rear end to move around and once it started to lift the stern too high it couldn't carry the bow so the boat would fall off plane to the left...EVERY TIME! The first time I did it was at the Northern Rally when I tested Al's bravo1. Scared the crap out of me the first time and then proceeded to do it at minimum 15 more times...solo, partners, plate high, plate low it simply did not matter...at 78mph (not 77!) it would fall of plane...loved the holeshot so when I got back from the rally starting to talk with Mark about what could be done...I found an old Mercruiser bravo1 stock 28p and after probably 10 trips back and forth, the simple fix was to cut the barrel down and add a little tip cup...that prop and boat ran great. They weren't making the Bravo1 XS back then so my only experience was with the old Bravo's. I had two built, both ran to within .3mph of each other. On both props, I was able to get a really nice holeshot with no tabs and it was a rocket with the tabs...
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

Agreed Jay, but the Bravo one XS comes factory with the bottom 1 in holes and the second set of adjustable pvs holes.

17. Member
    Seems like the biggest difference I see other than the holes, which I guess Mark could drill, is the XS looks t ok have a shorter barrel with less flare. Not sure how much impact that would have. Are any of you guys running at 1500'-2000' elevation? I'm in Phoenix and that's my elevation range of lakes here.

18. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    Agreed Jay, but the Bravo one XS comes factory with the bottom 1 in holes and the second set of adjustable pvs holes.
    Oh gotcha Craig. Sorry about that. Didn’t realize they had 1” holes.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs