Swimbait reel, help!!

I have a lews heavy duty wide spool I really like, but only have one. I tore up a curado today throwing a 3 oz Huddleston. Just wanting opinions on other options or should I just stick with the heavy duty? It’s a good strong, well built reel, so far no issues, and won’t break the bank. I don’t want to buy a $300 shimano if I don’t have to. Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    I love my Lews super duty wide spools for swimbait's. I also have a diawa Lexa 400 I like the Lews better.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

A great cast control system is wasted on a heavy lure, IMO. I just got a Lew's SD WS myself, but haven't been out yet this year. Can't wait!

4. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Everyone has their opinion, but there's a reason a Lamborghini costs more than a KIA....

I have 4 Calcutta 400D's for my big bait applications, they're smooth as butter and hold plenty of 20lb-25lb line and you don't spool yourself on a long cast. Also, your cadence with a low profile reel is "off" when you make a long cast and are down to a low spool of line vs when the bait is at the tip with a full spool of line (Bill explains it in the second video).

My vote is for the Calcutta 400D or even the Tranx 300. Spend the money and get a quality reel....

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    I don’t want to buy a $300 shimano if I don’t have to.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

Tranx 300.....bullet proof
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reelex View Post
    Tranx 300.....bullet proof
    What I use

Look for a Curado 300 E/D, should be able to find them for around $150
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

8. Member
    Lews super duty if you don’t want to spend 300 on a Shimano or a OG Zillion from daiwa would be a other good option as well

9. Member
    Tatula HD or a Lexa 300 is what I use

10. Member
    Tranx is a little high for me but I’m checking on the others. Maybstick to lews since I’m familiar with it, I really like the looks of tranx but just a little high for me right now. Thanks for the tips, just looking for a lot of line capacity And something good that won’t tear up. I heard my reel yesterday and it sounded like it exploded inside after an hour with a big bait. I Lnew getting into these big baits and glide baits was going to be expensive. But I didn’t even consider the added equipment, now it’s gonna cost me a fortune!! Man I love fishing Lol

11. Member
    Swimbait fishing is crazy expensive. I only have 2 rod/reel setups, but they they are conquest reels on custom rods. When you start buying hinkles, 3:16, and Roman Made you better have plenty of dough..lol

12. Member
    That’s where I made my mistake! Haha I bought all those baits and now I gotta get some tackle that can handle them. I probably spent over 2000$ in the last couple years buying one here and one there and never thought about having to upsize to throw them. I’ve been getting by with a few Bama rig rods I have but , after yesterday, I found out I am going to have to get me a few new reels and probably rods wouldn’t hurt. I’ve had fun with it though, I think it’s so addictive because I have seen so many giants follow it to the boat but not commit, at least you know you are around them when that happens.

13. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix5252 View Post
    I think it’s so addictive because I have seen so many giants follow it to the boat but not commit, at least you know you are around them when that happens.

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live