Lost fish on swim jig

Spent a couple of hours yesterday working on swim jig technique. Was throwing a 6th Sense 1/2 ounce swimjig with a flap-tail trailer. Had 4 bites and couldn't get hooked up. One was a big fish that just pulled off after heading to deep water.

I trimmed the weed guard, shortened the skirt. Still was missing fish. I decided to let them eat it more (count to three before I set the hook), but I did't get bit again to try it that way.

Any advice? Was throwing it on a 7-foot HVY rod with 20-lb Tatsu.

2. Member
    You might be ripping the bait out of their mouth with that heavy powered rod. Try a medium-heavy.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    You might be ripping the bait out of their mouth with that heavy powered rod. Try a medium-heavy.
    What BigBass said

I like a medium heavy power, mod-fast action on a swim jig for the above reasons, but I think the biggest key if you're losing them and not missing them is that you're not getting the hook buried. Could be several reasons. Braid could help with that, as would using a swimjig with a lighter wire hook. Another issue could be the weed guard. A lot of mass produced swim jigs have weed guards like flipping jigs and that's just way too much. You didn't mention how you trimmed yours, but trimming them shorter instead of trimming by removing strands will actually make them stiffer, so it could be making a bad weed guard even worse.

I'm a big, big fan of the Brovarney swim jigs with Gamakatsu hooks. (brovarneybaits.com) The weed guards are perfect, the hooks are sharp, and you just don't miss or lose fish on them. No connections for me other than just buying and catching a bunch of fish on them.

I'm admittedly not catching 10 pounders, but I've winched 5 lbers out of heavy vegetation on 50 lb braid on a hook a lot of people say is too light. Never had one bend at all. Well, I take that back: I did roll the point on exactly one. It was on what was in hindsight almost assuredly a state record bowfin (mudfish, dogfish, grinnell, etc depending on your local naming practices) on the Mississippi River in heavy current. Current state record is like 31 inches and 12 lbs, and this one was definitely longer. I'm just about positive the point rolled when I grabbed the hook shank with pliers and shook the fish off over the side of the boat. Judging by the amount of effort it took to shake the fish, it wasn't getting off.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

When fishing a heavy cover swim jig around grass, I use a medium heavy rod and 50 pound braid. My jigs have a 4/0 heavy wire hook and the braid helps bury it even in the toughest part of their jaw.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    I think you're on the right track with letting them eat it more. Maybe not counting to 3 but treat the swimjig like you would a swimbait. Don't set it until they load up on it.

7. Member
    Sorry for asking but are you sure the jig is staying upright on retrieve? If it lays on its side you will pull it right out of their mouth most time and never hook them. Also is the weed guard down close against hook or sticking more upward. If upward they may be push jig by weedguard. Bill Lowen did seminar on Bass University you could watch and get alot good info on swim jig fishing. He is arguably one of the best to ever use one.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

8. Banned
    let it "load" before setting hook,...but by using such a heavy power rod, it may not be able to "load" enough, and bass it's spitting it when feeling resistance.

9. Member
    Too heavy of rod. Try mod fast or more of a frog rod action. Let em eat it and just lean into em while reeling.

10. Member
    I’m in agreement with the other post reply’s. I believe your rod selection needs to be adjusted. Give a Med Hvy mod fast action a shot. It should increase hookups.

11. Member
    I've always used a 7'3" heavy mod fast or 7'3" med heavy extra fast tip with 50lb braid for my swim jigs and never had any issues. Usually its so far down their throat that I don't have any issues. I'd try braid if it were me, I've just never been a big fan of flouro on anything but cranks. Just doesn't seem to drive the hook home for me, but to each their own.

12. Member
    Another vote for the Medium Heavy Moderate rod. One thing to add is I found it actually improved the action of my bait when using it in grass because instead of a heavy rod ripping it 5 feet through the patch of grass it pulls through cleaner with the MH so it stays in the strike zone longer and increases the odds of creating those reaction strikes.
    2008 Ranger Z21 (Red/Black) w/ 2008 Yamaha 250 HP VMAX Series 2