live well issues

I have a 2013 2200 sterling. when I purchased the boat I ad issues keeping fish alive. I've install (2) oxygenators to each live well which didn't not help. I've reached out to Gambler for help and eight weeks later finally got a reply.

gambler reply was the valves may be closed on the high speed pickup. my valves are open, line is clear but no water flows into the live well while running. no clue why

I've replaced all the pumps to make sure nothing was contaminating the water for some unknown reason. also if I leave the fill pumps on auto the live wells will overflow out of the covers.

last week I installed a 12volt Mr. bubbles pump and was able to keep 10 bass very alive on each side of the wells. its hard to except installing extra pumps to keep your fish alive in a high dollar boat like this

any advise or directions would be greatly appreciated because I'm lost and Gambler help is very poor on finding the problem or solution.

I am kind of lost on what you mean by the high speed pickup....There will be some that disagree, but this is what works for me.....If you are using the pickup thats on the bottom of the boat, just shut those valves off and leave them off...Add ice to your wells when you put ice in your cooler in the AM..Half bag if the water is 75 or below, full bag if its over for each well...Use a good quality additive,For me its rejuvinade..Fill your wells as early as possible while the water temps are cooler, and do not add water the rest of the day, unless you lose a lot..Use your recirc pumps the rest of the day...The hotter the water, the more you run them...Also dont over fill...if the water gets over the recirc spray head, it doesnt do you much good...And the first thing you should do is get yourself a set of the v2 vents and put them in the lids...helps remove gasses from the water, and keeps the water temp cooler also...maybe the best thing I have done on my rig..I fish in some of the hottest weather you will find, and rarely lose a fish..
    LD

3. Member
    I don't think the pickups you speak of but I can tell you I have had power bubbles on every boat I have owned and have never lost a fish. I wired them directly into the aerator so whenever it runs the bubbles run. I would also recommend V2 live well vents.
    Also
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

good friend of mine with 2010 sterling had same issues..
    BLOCK OFF THE HIGH SPEED inflows...
    then set timers on aerators for high, or on manual...hotter weather i'd add ICE too...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

5. Member
    thanks for the advise and at this point ill try anything because nothing more aggravating is seeing dead fish in the live well with pumps running. I thinking with the deep live wells there's just not enough oxygen being pumped in with the aerators.

What ^^^they said. I turned the valve off for the high speed pick up on each well in my Sterling. If they didn't plumb yours with a valve then you can plug the hole with a rubber stopper. Prior to it would cause my water level to rise above the areator rendering it useless. Found out the hard way and knock on wood have not had trouble since.

7. Member
    mine does have valves as well. I don't have any water coming through the valves so they useless anyway. if I knew sterling response to their owner was so poorly I would have never bought one.

8. Member
    Same as stated above turn the valves off and leave some room for the aerators to work. I have a sterling as well and have never had issue with the livewells.

9. Member
    No water while on plane= Valves are off
    hard to see but right at the nozzle.

keep water level in wells below aerator spray nozzle, it only works by inducing air into the nozzle

10. Member
    the valves are wide open and never been closed. also blew compressed air through the hole in the bottom of the boat and you have feel the air through the nozzles but still no water will come through. have no clue why

thanks

Makes me wonder if it ever worked from when it was installed while being built. Possibly installed at wrong angle?... or maybe it ran over a stump or something while fishing and bent the angle to where it won't function properly.

12. Member
    the bottom of the boat is flawless so it could have been installed wrong but I don't see how that could happen being just an open hole.

I'd guess it got installed backwards. or maybe at the wrong angle.