Worth Upgrading a Curado G?

Have an opportunity to get a few Curado G 7’s pretty cheap ($50 CDN each). I am hesitant because of the reviews. But I want to see if there are areas I can make this reel better.

Is it worth bothering to put in upgraded bearings? Are there spots in the reel I can easily replace bushings with bearings? What about the drag washers?

Any technical info about the reel or suggestions is appreciated!

2. Member
    For $50 Canadian, I wouldn’t worry too much.

The only reason the G gets a bad wrap is how Shimano went about it. Slapping the curado name on a reel that it didn’t belong in was their problem. They dropped the price point and came out with the Chronarch E which was essentially a very similar reel to the curado e.

If the reel would have said citica on it, I doubt there would have been such an outcry. Needless to say, the people I know who have many, enjoy them for what they are.

If you want to swap out bearings, start will the spool bearings as they are the ones that really matter.

And for what it’s worth, I never bought a G simply for the fact that I did not agree with the approach a Shimano took in this reel. But at $50, I’d buy a few to have for sure.
    Last edited by Lape0019; 04-14-2018 at 01:15 PM.

3. Banned
    What was said is pretty much on point about the G series. People did the same cryin when the Zillion TWS came out because it was based off the Tatula. Meh, they are all garbage at this point anyways, so take your pick.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    For $50 Canadian, I wouldn’t worry too much.

The only reason the G gets a bad wrap is how Shimano went about it. Slapping the curado name on a reel that it didn’t belong in was their problem. They dropped the price point and came out with the Chronarch E which was essentially a very similar reel to the curado e.

If the reel would have said citica on it, I doubt there would have been such an outcry. Needless to say, the people I know who have many, enjoy them for what they are.

If you want to swap out bearings, start will the spool bearings as they are the ones that really matter.

And for what it’s worth, I never bought a G simply for the fact that I did not agree with the approach a Shimano took in this reel. But at $50, I’d buy a few to have for sure.
    Thanks! I was going to do the spool bearings for sure...I just wondered where the bearings were missing from in this model as opposed to the D / E & later models with higher bearing counts.

5. Member
    I’m not 100% sure but if the knobs are riveted on and can it be removed, that’s where the missing bearings are. Or, if they can be removed, check under the knobs to see if they are bushings or bearings.

Bearing count itself means nothing. One of my favourite reels only has 5 bearings (Shimano Core 100MGFV). You don’t need a lot of quality bearings to make a reel feel smooth. Start off with the spool bearings and you can add more once you have the reel and can tear into it a bit.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post
    I’m not 100% sure but if the knobs are riveted on and can it be removed, that’s where the missing bearings are. Or, if they can be removed, check under the knobs to see if they are bushings or bearings.

Bearing count itself means nothing. One of my favourite reels only has 5 bearings (Shimano Core 100MGFV). You don’t need a lot of quality bearings to make a reel feel smooth. Start off with the spool bearings and you can add more once you have the reel and can tear into it a bit.
    Never thought about it like that. I would do that anyways. Always strip the reel down new or used to replace factory grease and oils in bearings with the boca stuff. So I might see if there's anywhere that could use an extra bearing. But you're right, most of the load and smoothness comes down to the 2 or 3 spools bearings.

7. Member
    no