Recycled soft plastics

I know its been posted etc, but I am thinking about trying to re-use old plastics and hand pour some worms.. couple of questions:
    1. any advice on melting? just nuke them?
    2. if the old plastic has flake will it stay in the new pour?
    3. should the mold be treated with anything prior to pouring (to keep from sticking) I have a cheap silicone mold, and am thinking about making one out of modeling clay or something..
    4. is there a trick to adding scents or salt?
    5. I have read that powerbaits don't re-pour very well.. any others to avoid?
    6. I pour a lot of lead and it sets almost instantly.. is there a wait time to remove from mold?
    7. any advice on what to use while letting them cool? I can see them sticking together or other stuff if not careful?

2. Member
    i run it in the microwave about 40 min at a time till you get the hang of what it takes to melt, once melded just re surer to suspend the flake, i use un flavored cooking spray once in a while depends on how things are going, DO NOT try and re melt power bait. leave it set about 4 min and you are good to go

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    i run it in the microwave about 40 min at a time till you get the hang of what it takes to melt, once melded just re surer to suspend the flake, i use un flavored cooking spray once in a while depends on how things are going, DO NOT try and re melt power bait. leave it set about 4 min and you are good to go
    UMMM me thinks he means 40 seconds not minutes.

4. Member
    1. any advice on melting? (cut into chunks melt for about 1 minute STIR, repeat until melted) Mixing colors will result in some shade of brown. Work in well ventilated area. Do not use kitchen microwave (you will ruin it.)

2. if the old plastic has flake will it stay in the new pour? Depends on the flake most will stay some will melt and disappear.

3. should the mold be treated with anything prior to pouring (to keep from sticking) I have a cheap silicone mold I have never had them stick to silicone molds.

4. is there a trick to adding scents or salt? Salt should be ground into a very fine powder. It will sink to the bottom and has to be stirred a lot.

5. I have read that powerbaits don't re-pour very well.. any others to avoid? Not that I can think of.

6. I pour a lot of lead and it sets almost instantly.. is there a wait time to remove from mold? Yes there is it varies depending on the temp of the mold and the temp of the plastic.

7. any advice on what to use while letting them cool? I can see them sticking together or other stuff if not careful? Be patient. Have a pan of water to put the baits into when you demold them.

It would be worth your time and maybe keep you from serious injury to go to www.tackleunderground.com and read DONT'S FOR NEWBIES.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    UMMM me thinks he means 40 seconds not minutes.

yes it would be a mess at 40 min

6. Member
    thanks Jig Man..

Did this video a while back. Might help.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....910&highlight=

8. Member
    One word respirator... Your grand kids will thank you.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Netman extraordinaire Coosa Redeye's Avatar
    #4- Use popcorn salt. It is already ground fine enough.
    #5- Do NOT try to melt and reuse zman plastics.

Also, try not to mix to many different brands of plastic. All of the lure manufacturers have their own plastic "recipes," and some use more harsh chemicals than others.

Remember to work in a well ventilated area.
    Last edited by Coosa Redeye; 04-26-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: additional info
    2015 Nitro Z8
    2015 Mercury Optimax 250
    2019 Chevy Silverado

[QUOTE=Coosa Redeye;9311992]#4- Use popcorn salt. It is already ground fine enough.

you can take regular table salt and in a blender get it to a fine powder

2009 ELITE 210

Electric Coffee grinder works even better.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

12. Banned
    Re: #4 Use Ant hill dirt. Not the big YUGE Ant hills like in a Randolph Scott Western, but the smaller ones. Looking for whitish dirt; some can be almost talc like, depending on recent rains or how old the dig is.