Need help with trolling motor

Hello my trolling motor slowly died today on the lake after it was fully charged and I used it for maybe 10 mins. I got off the lake and took it home and when I undid it water came out of the trolling motor. See pictures below.
    This happen last year and I took it apart clean the black junk off but found out it was just a small loose wire...I check all the wires and they are all connected. If someone could help me I would REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

More details I thought of.
    When it was going out today it sounded just louder in general and went in and out from working. It would barely work for a couple mins then quit completely and start again for a little bit once again hardly working. Now its completely not working
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GoneFishingLTN; 04-12-2018 at 08:57 PM.

2. Member
    clean it all up really good with electric parts cleaner and get a new o-ring seal to keep water from getting in. You may have to lightly sand the armature and brushes if they have any corrosion.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    clean it all up really good with electric parts cleaner and get a new o-ring seal to keep water from getting in. You may have to lightly sand the armature and brushes if they have any corrosion.
    Do you happen to know what size o ring I should buy and from where?

4. Member
    I have found all sizes of O rings a Fastenall if you cannot finds an official Minnkota O ring.

5. Member
    Also when I’m cleaning so I unhook the wires and gently spray and clean around them?

6. Member
    Thanks everyone I got it up in running. I bought new o rings but the old ones where fine. So any idea how the black looking water got in it? It looked like oil and water mixed but also just might have been lake oil

7. Member
    The water turns black when you run the motor while water is inside the motor. Usually that is a sign to me that the water was inside the motor fo a while. My experience with this problem is that even though you clean it and put new seals water tends to go back in. It will fail again at some point. I warranty all my work. It is how I do business. So if I run across this type of problem then I recommend changing out the motor and put a new one in its place. It is far cheaper to do this and gain more confidence that it will not give you any problems. the shaft must be replaced too. If the rest of the troll motor is in good shape it is a no brainer. A new Fortrex runs over $1000 depending if it is an 80 or 112.
    My two cent from experience.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishingLTN View Post
    Thanks everyone I got it up in running. I bought new o rings but the old ones where fine. So any idea how the black looking water got in it? It looked like oil and water mixed but also just might have been lake oil
    Did you get the two (easy to find) under the through bolts?

9. Member
    Why would you have to change the motor if the issue is water getting in? Sorry I’m just new to this.
    I didn’t replace the 2 bigger o rings because the old ones looked great. Roughly how much is the stuff your talking about

10. Member
    New Motor Max Pro 80 w/US2 around $340 + 25 for shaft. The 101 W/US2 $360 + $25 for shaft. This would be with estimated shipping included.
    I recommend changing the motor because it is a warranty thing with my business. I back all my warranty except when it comes to water intrusion. I can clean it, put new o-rings, but not knowing where the water is coming from and doing all this work is a crapshoot. In your case you choose not to change o-rings and you had water intrusion a second time. That was your decision. I never tare a motor down without changing O-rings. I mean you talking about a $5.00 part. It does not take much to get water into a motor. Any seepage will put water into the motor. When the motor turns it creates a small vacuum in the motor and if there is a place where the water can intrude it will. Therefore if I were to warranty water intrusion, on non warranty motors, I would have to rework the motor everytime it comes back to the shop. It is less likely that a new motor will get water than a rebuilt motor that has had water in it. Lastly i want to make something clear.
    All manufactures back water intrusion that occurs within a two year warranty. Not warranting water intrusion after Manufacturer warranty is over is a decision I choose for the business.

11. Member
    I can look at the brushes, brush card, armature and tell it has had significant water intrusion. For that you need to replace the prop seals (there are two of them), both motor O'rings and both bolt O'rings. You need to make sure the shaft is tight on the lower unit and not cracked anywhere. This motor also needs brushes. Brushes will wear when water is in the motor due to the "grit" contained in the water. We sell the MinnKota seal kit for apx $8.00.
    Cleaning an putting it back together without fixing where the water is getting in will assure you more water in the lower unit and a ruined fishing trip.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

12. Member
    Oh yeah, forgot the MK has a bend proof shaft which must make a water tight seal where it screws into the motor or it will leak. This and the shaft can shatter anywhere near the motor assembly and leak even though it looks (fairly) good.