Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wired2Fish article on KY Lake...

If you haven't seen it already interesting read - Wired2Fish article on KY Lake...

https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fish...Lake-117254525

Good Luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

2. Member
    Great article. Such a shame... I love Kentucky and Barkley. I only get to fish there maybe twice a year, but I have noticed a lot of the same things Jason mentioned in his article.

3. Member
    Does Barkley have just as many carp in it as Kentucky or are there less? I would imagine the northern part is just as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JHenry View Post
    Does Barkley have just as many carp in it as Kentucky or are there less? I would imagine the northern part is just as bad.
    More. At least I see more jumpers on Barkley.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    More. At least I see more jumpers on Barkley.
    I've seen more jumps on Barkley, though I think it has more to do with it having a lot more shallow flats/shallow areas that encourages the jumping. Anytime I've had them jumping all around me I was in 5 ft or less.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I've seen more jumps on Barkley, though I think it has more to do with it having a lot more shallow flats/shallow areas that encourages the jumping. Anytime I've had them jumping all around me I was in 5 ft or less.
    Same and agree.

Really great article and echos what I've seen happen over the last few years. The lack of threadfin shad is really concerning and explains why there hasn't been any schooling activity to speak of over last few years. I guess I never put two and two together but I haven't seen the shad and I haven't seen the schooling activity. Sad state the lakes are in. Hopefully it cycles through and balances back out.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Good read! I hope the lakes can rebound in the near future.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

8. Member
    The "officials" refuse to believe that the carp are eating shad yet most KY lake fishermen I know have caught them on bass lures. Will someone please cut the next ones you catch open to see if shad, crawfish, etc are in their bellies? Pull your phone out and video it. This is a very important piece of information that could be proven quickly. I plan to do this if I catch one. thanks

Gonna be messy
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

10. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    For you guys information, they have been in KY lake since the mid 90's. I saw one myself that was caught on a trotline. I had no clue what it was back then.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

11. Member
    Have been on Kentucky lake and Barkley the last few days. If you turn on your side scan all you see are carp! My graph screen is almost white out with them.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

And they are on to Pickwick, Wheeler, wilson, Guntersville, the Chick, .... no one seems to be able to figure out how to stop them

https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/an...h-in-southeast
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

13. Member
    The carp problem is going to get worse if it doesn't quit raining. According to the biologist for KDFW the conditions are favorable for the Asian Carp to successfully spawn due to the heavy current on the lakes.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkoutdoors View Post
    The "officials" refuse to believe that the carp are eating shad yet most KY lake fishermen I know have caught them on bass lures. Will someone please cut the next ones you catch open to see if shad, crawfish, etc are in their bellies? Pull your phone out and video it. This is a very important piece of information that could be proven quickly. I plan to do this if I catch one. thanks
    Asian carp are filter feeders. You aren't going to find shad, crawfish, or anything like that in their bellies. The ones I've cut open have that green sludge in them, much like paddlefish and shad who eat the same stuff (phytoplankton and zoo plankton).

You see less shad out there because there is less food available for them with the Asian carp consuming so much of their food source now.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    For you guys information, they have been in KY lake since the mid 90's. I saw one myself that was caught on a trotline. I had no clue what it was back then.
    Silver or Bighead? I've seen the Bigheads too since the mid 90's, I remember seeing signs posted by KDFWR at marinas asking people to report encounters with the Bighead. It was 2008 when I saw the first Silver jump on Ky.

16. Member
    Asian carp are filter feeders. You aren't going to find shad, crawfish, or anything like that in their bellies. The ones I've cut open have that green sludge in them, much like paddlefish and shad who eat the same stuff (phytoplankton and zoo plankton).

You see less shad out there because there is less food available for them with the Asian carp consuming so much of their food source now.
    Nailed it!

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Silver or Bighead? I've seen the Bigheads too since the mid 90's, I remember seeing signs posted by KDFWR at marinas asking people to report encounters with the Bighead. It was 2008 when I saw the first Silver jump on Ky.
    Not sure I have slept since then.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    Question to everyone: How much would it be worth to you personally to save KY Lake?

Many in our community have based their lives around Kentucky Lake and the Tennessee River system. No offense to anyone, but we can't wait on the government to save it. This could be a "Ducks Unlimited" opportunity to save something very valuable to fishermen across the country. I don't have the answers, but if we could do a big fundraiser and form a non-profit to pay for research, commission boats to harvest carp daily regardless of market value, and do experimental tactics in partnership with F&W, it would be a worthy cause. We can't afford to sit on the sidelines any longer. Many of us won't hesitate to spend $10,000 on power poles, fish finders and trolling motors, now let's all invest in the future of the passion we all share for fishing.

19. Member
    Why do the bass not eat the small Asian carp? Not that I think the bass can eat them all but I would think that would be a good food source for the bass.

20. Member
    They do eat them there is just to many asians

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast