Prop to pad height

Hey guys,

If I have time tomorrow I was going to try the 28P Promax again. I have been so busy with tournaments and family that I have yet to send my prop in to get worked or more holes added.

I was stuck at about 1/2" below pad because of my Power Pole brackets..any higher and I would hit the rub rail. I have an inch more to go now that I have shaved the bracket down. Would me moving the JP up another inch help get me on pad with that 28P or is it a waste of time trying it?

Last time I tried that 28 I couldn't get the nose down unless a 200lb person was standing on the front of the deck. (Xb-21 2+2, Pro XS, SM, 8' poles, 4 lead batteries, Ultrex, loaded to fish)

Thanks,

Mike
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

2. Member
    Go to even and start working your way up. Should be good at even, great at a quarter above, and fastest at 1/2” above.

Worth a try.. But I don't see it helping your holeshot.
    I have had a few props that actually came out of the hole better with the j-plate lower when struggling with a heavy t-load.

4. Member
    I don’t know your setback but assuming it’s 5” or so, I would think at the least could go to even and not hurt your hole shot any. My guess is you could go to maybe 1/4 above before you get it dialed in. But even is where I would put mine. More setback and you can go higher and get more leverage on breakover.

Be sure to post your findings when you get a chance..

6. Member
    i see he is running a 250 does it have 1.75 gears if so maybe a blow out ring would help what do yall think

I have one I'm not using ^^

8. Member
    I believe mike has 1.62 gears on his 250. I dont believe anything is going to improve until he gets the pvs holes put in the prop.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

9. Member
    I run a pro with 8 foot power poles. I have a 28 Pro Max that I have ran on it quite a bit. What does your RPM do out of the hole? When loaded mine puts the bow way up and takes a while to get going. I agree I don’t think raising you JP is going to help your holeshot.

10. Member
    Mike, if you can't spin the prop up on holeshot right you indeed won't get that bow to break over. This is the part of boat setup that can be fun if you don't get stressed out. My new boat was doing the same thing with the latest prop. I could not get more than about 2200 rpm's on hole shot and it would not spool up and break over. But....at that time I knew I was probably going to have to do some adjusting because the first time I ran the new (old style Hydro Quad IV) I had all the pvs holes open and it would spin out and my rpm's would go over 5K and I simply couldn't get it on plan. I put it back on the trailer and plugged all the pvs holes. Then I couldn't get but 2200 rpms and the nose still would not come down. (I was big time fully loaded BTW). I put it back on the trailer and took 4 of the 8 pvs plugs out and it did much better. 3500 rpms and a slow but steady break over to plan. Next trip out I changed pvs holes out completely and went with 4 plugs with 1/4" holes in them. Bingo! 4000 rpms, a much faster breakover to plane. I could probably do a little better by changing 2 of the 4 plugs out with 3/8" holes and get it to spin up a little higher. I may do that later on. My prop shaft was too low on plan with the jack at full lift when I brought the boat home from the dealership. It was sticking at 1/4" above pad. That has nothing to do technically with this post, but to point out that I had to keep measuring, tinkering, and playing with things to get that corrected as well. I picked up a lot of speed when I realized the jack was sticking and I could go another 1/2" higher. Bottom line is don't be afraid to play with your setup within reason. Watching water pressure, rpms, engine temp, etc. while messing with your setup will insure you are doing no damage and not getting into anything I'd consider dangerous on runs.

11. Member
    If it’s bogging higher will be helpful, if it’s overrev then higher won’t help

12. Member
    Johnny the prop you were using in the discription above is an XOB correct? I have a 30 Promax to tinker with if winter ever goes away that’s why I ask. I had one of these props before and just couldn’t get the holeshot sorted out on it always had a real high over rev that I couldn’t solve probably because I just didn’t work with it long enough.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Johnny the prop you were using in the discription above is an XOB correct? I have a 30 Promax to tinker with if winter ever goes away that’s why I ask. I had one of these props before and just couldn’t get the holeshot sorted out on it always had a real high over rev that I couldn’t solve probably because I just didn’t work with it long enough.
    I'm real anxious to run it after setting it up for the 250 and matching my 28...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

14. Member
    Are you afraid to get it wet Dan?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Are you afraid to get it wet Dan?
    No.... just started it This weekend. Lee is sending new thermostats my way hopefully to allow my motor to warm up properly... Plus winter is holding on lol.. soon hopefully.
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

16. Member
    Thank you everyone! I had every intention of playing with all the settings on Friday, but when I got out to river there were white caps and just wasn't the right conditions to trying messing with it. I don't remember the RPM's when I 1st ran it, but it only has 4 pvs holes and they were all open. My initial thoughts were that I didn't have enough RPMs to spin it and thought I needed more holes. I have my last tournament of this series on the 27th and will have some time to run it and figure out what needs to be done. It's so frustrating when your trips on the water are limited and every minute you are on the water you need to use it practicing for the tournament! This group is awesome though, thanks!

-Mike
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing