Question about metal flake

Hello all, I have a 95 Ranger R70 with red flake. When I bought the boat the red flake had already been sanded down so much that the flake is silver and rough. What is the correct way to fix it. Just sand and respray gel coat or would you have to sand the whole boat and start with paint and all to fix.

2. Member
    It's not paint. They shoot clear into the mold, and then the shoot more clear with flake in it, and then the color. So the clown sanded all of the clear off and got into the flake. You need to know how to shoot gel in order to fix it, you also need to know how to tape and when to pull the tape if you want to keep the original look.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Is this something you are looking to do yourself, or hiring to have done? A respray with gelcoat can cost several thousand to do.
    Alternatives are painting it (similar to painting a car) - which will require similar prep to respraying gelcoat. Or you could apply a vinyl wrap.

4. Member
    I would like to try it myself. Thought hard about sanding all the way to glass and starting from scratch.