Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Invertor question to recharge boat

im thinking maybe for the multiple day trips i should get one connect to truck and plug chargers on boat in. i usually only do multiple trips a couple times a year but making up for last year so im planning to do it maybe half dozen times or so. no plugs at camp out (walmart lol)

on boat i have a small charger for starter battery and 2 bank for troller batteries. i can usually make 2 days without charging but second day you can tell power is lower, especially around bed fishing times.

in the past, with only 2 batteries, i ran jumper from truck battery to boat battery and ran truck all night. worked ok but invertor with outlets would be so much nicer.

question is, what is a safe bet for invertor wattage? dont care if its charged quick or even if 100%. as long as it makes day 2 better than not charging at all

2. Member
    What charger do you have?

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You have two things working against you. Inverters are only about 85% efficient, so you lose 15% of the power your truck generates. Second, at idle a vehicle doesn’t generate much more power than is required to run the engine and electronics so there isn’t a lot left for charging.

Harbor Freight generators or Champion generators do a much better job for less than $500 and don’t use up your vehicle engine doing it.

To figure how much power you need, multiply 15V by the total amps your charger can supply. This gives your charger output in Watts. Now divide that by .85 to account for charger inefficiency and the answer is how many Watts you need to supply.

For example if you have a 3 bank charger that puts out 10A per bank, you need 3x10Ax15V/.85=530W
    Last edited by CatFan; 04-11-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Get an alternator charger so that your trolling motor batteries charge while the outboard is running.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    Get an alternator charger so that your trolling motor batteries charge while the outboard is running.
    The Yandina Combiner for 12 volt trolling motors, the Trollbridge12X24 for 24 volt, or the Trollbridge36 for 36 volt trolling motors makes many systems independent of shore power charging depending on the ratio of running time to trolling time. They are over 99.5% efficient at full output from the alternator and can also accept the charging line from a tow vehicle to charge all the batteries.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    The Yandina Combiner for 12 volt trolling motors, the Trollbridge12X24 for 24 volt, or the Trollbridge36 for 36 volt trolling motors makes many systems independent of shore power charging depending on the ratio of running time to trolling time. They are over 99.5% efficient at full output from the alternator and can also accept the charging line from a tow vehicle to charge all the batteries.
    As a Minn Kota TM owner, I'll stick with MK-branded changers since I know they won't blow up my gear - and if they do, they are all made by the same place, and covered by the same warranty.

7. Member
    leave it to you all to make things difficult !!
    Peace

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    You have two things working against you. Inverters are only about 85% efficient, so you lose 15% of the power your truck generates. Second, at idle a vehicle doesn’t generate much more power than is required to run the engine and electronics so there isn’t a lot left for charging.

Harbor Freight generators or Champion generators do a much better job for less than $500 and don’t use up your vehicle engine doing it.

To figure how much power you need, multiply 15V by the total amps your charger can supply. This gives your charger output in Watts. Now divide that by .85 to account for charger inefficiency and the answer is how many Watts you need to supply.

For example if you have a 3 bank charger that puts out 10A per bank, you need 3x10Ax15V/.85=530W

For $109, look for coupon or sale to get for less, One of these will charge your batteries without issue. https://www.harborfreight.com/900-ma...arb-63025.html

Quote Originally Posted by Team Dougherty View Post
    For $109, look for coupon or sale to get for less, One of these will charge your batteries without issue. https://www.harborfreight.com/900-ma...arb-63025.html
    That's the way I would go!! A 20% off coupon would make a real cheap fix for your problem!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Larry View Post
    That's the way I would go!! A 20% off coupon would make a real cheap fix for your problem!
    Unfortunately, those 20% coupons usually do not work for generators.

11. Member
    its not a problem! Its a slight annoyance, thats all. i am honestly sorry i even asked. Ill just use up what i got and not risk a little generator getting stolen while i sleep in a walmart parking lot. thanks for taking the time though

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    As a Minn Kota TM owner, I'll stick with MK-branded changers since I know they won't blow up my gear - and if they do, they are all made by the same place, and covered by the same warranty.
    In fact, however, the MK chargers charge the batteries while they are in series putting as much as 43 volts on a 36 volt motor. l Because of this you should unplug or switch you trolling motor off to protect it while charging. The Yandina chargers put the batteries in PARALLEL for charging so the highest voltage is around 14.3 volts.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann-Marie View Post
    In fact, however, the MK chargers charge the batteries while they are in series putting as much as 43 volts on a 36 volt motor. l Because of this you should unplug or switch you trolling motor off to protect it while charging. The Yandina chargers put the batteries in PARALLEL for charging so the highest voltage is around 14.3 volts.

Wait, what? No.. There is one set of leads to each battery for MK systems. They don't charge in series.

Not to mention the fact that I don't think you even know what charger I'm referring to.

Check this out !! I run 3-4 days before I really need to "top off"

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Dougherty View Post
    At 91db nothing will be asleep within 500 ft of that thing. A small Honda or Yamaha inverter gen locked up would be the way to go. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    At 91db nothing will be asleep within 500 ft of that thing. A small Honda or Yamaha inverter gen locked up would be the way to go. Cj
    Yup ^^^
    A Honda EU1000 will idle along and you will barely hear it.

17. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Seems Elvis has left the building.

As only one generator is suggested or might be needed........ curious "gen locked' up to what????
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 04-21-2018 at 04:19 PM.

18. Banned
    I would guess locked up so no one walks off with it.

19. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Aha.!!! .......'gen-locked' to this video engineer has a very different meaning.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou r Pitcher View Post
    Aha.!!! .......'gen-locked' to this video engineer has a very different meaning.
    Yep, locked up to something sturdy. Honda has a steel insert to add to the handle so it can't be cut as easy. They WILL run off and quickly! A eu2000 will run a battery charger at idle and run most of the night on one tank. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast