Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jag 400 Verado my experience

There isn't much info on this combo out there, so thought after a year of testing, and thousands dollars spent on props I would share what has worked for me with this combo. The best prop I have found for this combo is the 26p max 5 prop from Mercury racing. It isn't cheap ($1500) but it is well worth the money. I ran the boat this past Sunday and was able to open her up a little. The prop took the boat to 84.2mph at 6900rpms. it was still climbing before I settled her down, but 85mph is definitely attainable with this prop. Boat was carrying 2 men(530lbs) tournament load and 20gal fuel, live wells empty. I was 1" to 1 1/4" above pad at around 16psi. According to the prop slip calculator I was 12-13% slip, which is pretty good for such a heavy boat and fairly heavy load. The 5 blade prop pops the jag out of the water and gets the bow to rise very quickly.

Another prop that works well is the 26.5p Bravo xs. This prop gets the boat up to 83mph at 7000rpm and lifts boat well. Can run this prop about 1/2" to 3/4" above pad. Slip numbers are high (around 20%) and I could probably get faster if I sent prop off for some work to be done to it.

Want to mention as well that I had to raise the motor a couple holes on the JP, as it was to low from the factory.

I by no means am an expert, but I know that when I bought the boat there was little to no info on the combo. I know there are other owners on this board with this set up and just trying to save money and time for them. Hope this helps!!

2. Member
    Good information.

3. Member
    Good grief! What is the redline of a 400R Verado?

4. Member
    Around 7100rpm is redline.

350 verado on Jag the overall best has been the 25 Rev 4. The 25 fury 4 does well to. The 25 fury 3 was the fastest but did not perform well in mid range. It impressive to run such a large hull to almost 80.

6. Member
    The fury3 sucked on my dads jag/400 combo. I will tell him about the 5 blade. We were planning to get a small bravo to try. All we have available in our pile are 28 and 30 pitchs. Thank you for posting this information.

7. Member
    7400rpms max

8. Member
    My jag/350 runs best with a 27 bravo.the fury 3 blade is worthless on mine,wont lift at all.

Each one is different and we have run a number of Bravo and Fury propellers on them. The Pro Max also runs well on the 250 setups we’ve run, though we’ve not run it on Verado engines.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Each one is different and we have run a number of Bravo and Fury propellers on them. The Pro Max also runs well on the 250 setups we’ve run, though we’ve not run it on Verado engines.
    I will be glad to run a pro max and get you the results. the 3 blade fury is total garbage on this boat.
    a 25 bravo xs just ran 85 at 7000 rpm on ours, the fury never touched 80.
    we will be trying a 25 fury 4 and a 26 pro max along with whatever other props we can try. at this moment we know the fury3 is the worst of the bunch and we were honestly wondering why you put them on these boats. My dad's theory was that you didn't want people going too fast in their boats out of fear of liability.

11. Member
    So the jag 400 my dad has got up to 85 at 7000rpm with a 25 bravo xs. He is fairly happy with that for now. I will keep my eye out for a 26 max5. Thanks again!

12. Member
    32regulator, does yours have monstrous chine walk over 80? I drove it last night and the chine walk is pretty bad and the electric power steering sucks for trying to apply balancing inputs. Have you dealt with this?

13. Member
    The steering does suck,and you will hook it,don’t ask me how I know

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by long shot View Post
    32regulator, does yours have monstrous chine walk over 80? I drove it last night and the chine walk is pretty bad and the electric power steering sucks for trying to apply balancing inputs. Have you dealt with this?
    Ask your Dad how to get the magic touch.
    Never thought that the power steering would make controlling the chine harder to do.
    That's interesting, and a disappointment.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

15. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Does the 400 have a sporty gearcase??
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Yes most do and you can get it with the Poseidon 5.44 Case also.

It will help a lot if you put a 4 foot level on the floor while you are seated and balance the boat out.

The floor is not parallel to the pad on all models.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Ask your Dad how to get the magic touch.
    Never thought that the power steering would make controlling the chine harder to do.
    That's interesting, and a disappointment.
    i wonder if the power steering is digital and has a delay.

Don’t over trim or over raise your engines. Hydraulic plates allow people to elevate engines more than the best overall setup and bite is less at higher settings. That coupled with instant hot foot or throttle release can be a tedious management of control. The steering actually has feedback, though subtle. It takes time so work your way up safely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast