Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar

Solix 12’s lose bottom

New boat and two new solix 12’s. Only out 3 times so still learning. Both console and front graphs are, what I assume, losing the bottom and are all over the place before regaining correct reading. I also will get a double bottom reading on graph. I have tried researching with no luck in owner’s manual. Any suggestions?
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

2. Member
    I have the same problem !!!

3. Member
    and I do too,,, called hb they said to set max depth lower when in shallow water, turn down sensitivity, witch I did but still having problems

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Seems several of these units have this problem
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Are you losing it shallow? Less than15ft

6. Member
    From the main menu tabs under sonar set max depth a little over max depth of your lake . If you don’t do it from the main menu tab it won’t do squat. I run with 83 hz off below 15 ft reason is the lake I fish has a super hard bottom and my depth will go stupid. Surface clutter 2-4 and 2d sensitivity around 6-8 moslty 6. These have fixed my losing bottom, I know I have a helix but it should be similar

7. Member
    What good is a sonar that can’t show the bottom or deep much less ever show a fish arch

8. Member
    What possible help is a smart azz comment like that?

9. Member
    Sorry just very frustrated

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    What possible help is a smart azz comment like that?
    I don't see it as a smart azzz comment.............................I paid $8K for these solix units. I fish mainly east texas lakes, which have varying degrees of bottom hardness every 100 ft or every 20 ft of linear travel . If I am cranking a bank with the troller on speed 4 I may hit those various bottoms in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes. So I should have to reach down and manually adjust the hummingbird every 2 or 3 minutes just to determine if I am in 4 foot of water or 2566 ft of water ? really ?

1. For me to have to set sensitivity low (take out the clutter I like to see in the water column) So my digital depth will read accurately or at all ? (maybe hummingbird thinks I like to look at dashes instead of actual depths with numerical numbers under the depth reading on the screen.)

2. I am forced to run a certain Hz (that I may not want to run at the time) just so my depth reading will quit showing I'm in the Atlantic ocean depths ?

3. I have too trick $8k dollar units by having to tell them my lakes deepest depths? then add 10 ft to that depth to make these units function properly ? I always thought a transducer sent sonar signals out , when they reach the bottom, they bounce back and the unit displays that depth accurately. At least that's how "all" of my former brand worked and I owned many of them over the years.

3. And for the same $8K I get to manually set the lake level offset on my unit just so my map will be within 8ft or 10 feet of what my lakemaster map says I should be in but in the same breath my last three lakes I fished were all at normal pool level .

yea, I understand his frustration ......................

One guy in a former post I made said I wanted the units "dumbed down".............lol no, I just want them to work.

I love adjusting (fine tuning) the units, but not adjusting them so they function. I have always fined tuned my former units during the day but never to have them read the bottom depth correctly.

just my opinion..but I think this could be a software issue. I read to many threads where people are having the same issues. Many of those same complaints have stated they have tried the "band aide" fixes and they didn't work. I hope hummingbird does something.

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Are you losing it shallow? Less than15ft
    Yes that is when it happens
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

It is very frustrating. Makes Autochart Live useless.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Yes that is when it happens
    These are the settings I run (previous post)to include switchfire clear. It’s fixed my problem. The lake I fish is compacted clay(HARD) , rock and a little soft bottom in the back of the creek arms. The lake is a shallow lake average depth is about 15 ft .I was having the biggest problem in 10 ft or less
    In the express menu I run 2d range on auto so I don’t have to fiddle with it. I completely understand everyone’s frustration with the units . I didn’t spend that much . I only have a jon boat , but I did spend 3,500 dollars for what I do have so believe me I know your pain.I took a year and really learned my unit.

14. Member
    Both my units does HT same thing..tag for updates
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    It is very frustrating. Makes Autochart Live useless.
    Makes follow the contour useless as well............................The link feature was one of the biggest contributing factors as to why I went with hummingbird . I have been using the terrova for years to utilize Auto Pilot when power fishing and spot lock when cover / structure fishing. I typically will put my boat in 8-12 foot of water when power fishing and follow that depth ......................absolutely useless with the birds to date.

For those who fish 20ft deep .......................you don't have this problem or at least my units don't have the problem in deep water. (I also fish deep water when the conditions call for it but here in Texas , we have been in the spawn pattern for LMB so I don't spend a lot of time in 20ft-30ft of water during the spawn.

16. Member
    These are the settings I run (previous post)to include switchfire clear. It’s fixed my problem. The lake I fish is compacted clay(HARD) , rock and a little soft bottom in the back of the creek arms. The lake is a shallow lake average depth is about 15 ft .I was having the biggest problem in 10 ft or less
    In the express menu I run 2d range on auto so I don’t have to fiddle with it. I completely understand everyone’s frustration with the units . I didn’t spend that much . I only have a jon boat , but I did spend 3,500 dollars for what I do have so believe me I know your pain.I took a year and really learned my unit.
    Wallace, I have also tried the "auto range" while in shallow water as well....................but many times during the day while I am in 12 feet or less of water, my units will be "auto ranging" in 60ft water which then puts my lake level bottom reading up at the very tip top of the display screen. I might have 1/8 inch of water column showing................in other words, since auto depth isn't functioning properly, I have no water column that is visible. And yes, clear mode has been set yada yada yada.

I'd be plenty pissed myself, and agree 100% of what godsdozer said.

Is this depth reading problem only specific to Solix units ?

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

18. Member
    I have this problem as well....mostly in water less than 12'. I have two Solix 12's and both of them do it. I have been looking for a fix without success and am very interested in this thread.

I did try isolating my bow unit from the network last night by disconnecting the ether-net cable from the back of the unit and to my surprise, the unit preformed as it should and did not lose bottom in the same area I had just encountered depth loss/bottom searching. When reconnected, it went back to doing the screen jump shuffle again. Can someone who is experiencing this issue please try that and confirm whether it works on your unit as well? I wonder if we have networking issues?
    Last edited by plains angler; 04-13-2018 at 04:32 PM.

19. Member
    According to Ethernet Manual, if you are sharing a source (ex. transducer) over the network, then some settings are synchronized between the units sharing. The unit with the transducer attached would be the controlling unit. So when you disconnected some of the settings went back to Local. Not sure if that is your problem or with other users.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plains angler View Post
    I have this problem as well....mostly in water less than 12'. I have two Solix 12's and both of them do it. I have been looking for a fix without success and am very interested in this thread.

I did try isolating my bow unit from the network last night by disconnecting the ether-net cable from the back of the unit and to my surprise, the unit preformed as it should and did not lose bottom in the same area I had just encountered depth loss/bottom searching. When reconnected, it went back to doing the screen jump shuffle again. Can someone who is experiencing this issue please try that and confirm whether it works on your unit as well? I wonder if we have networking issues?
    next time out try this:

go to the main menu, choose network, goto data sources, there will be depth 1 depth 2. Select depth 2. Turn auto config off and select none. This seemed to help some with the onix network find depth quicker

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast