Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    Had a Group 31 Odessey AGM--220 RC and brand new (best battery you can get). The Onix units did not work problem free until I went with 10 gauge so, your theory was not true in my case. The reason i noticed is one unit was wired with 10 gauge and the other with 12 gauge. One unit was great the other was buggy.

Agree to disagree is what we are going to have to do.

#10 is a far cry from #6.............maybe I should have been more clear with my definition of "heavy". As said, I'll be using #8, which I think is overkill.
    All I got, don't want to muddy up this thread anymore.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

2. Banned
    My trolling motor has 6 gauge lol

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    you would never sync to 'this unit'. why would you sync a unit to itself lol. you would only ever sync to a remote unit and would always want to sync to what you wan't to be the master unit. I tried the sync network feature, which should work, but it never did. I had to do everything from scratch. I would make sure both units are on the same software versions before I did anything. what he says about a master unit is kinda true. it's only a true master unit if you leave the master global setting enabled. I still call it a master as I synced the network with my console unit as the master and that's the unit where my lakemaster card is held. what i still don't understand about humminbids networking is how all devices are on a different subnet. networking 101 tell you that all devices on the network would be in the same subnet. I cant find the screen shot of my network, so look at 3:44 in his video. you see that 'this unit' is 169.254.8.246 and the 'remote unit' is 169.254.10.148. in normally networking everything would be on 169.254.8.xxx or 169.254.10.xxx, not both. an ip starting with 169 in the networking world also means the system couldn't pull a proper ip address so who the heck knows what's going on.
    Actually, those IP addresses can be in the same subnet depending on what the subnet mask is .... if it is 255.0.0 .... that subnet range can be all the way from 169.0.0.1 to 169.255.255.254 .... but probably not worth the time to argue about it.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

4. Banned
    Why in the world would they need that many ip addresses. Wouldn’t 250 be enough lol I’ll ask bill and see what he says

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post

I'll go to my grave saying that is way more than sufficient.
    All the heavy wire hype is a band aid for an undersized or depleted battery, and/or, poor connections.

I'll just have to agree to disagree with the majority.
    Like foo, I rewired with 10 gauge & problems solved. However I do not know for certain that wire gauge was the only problem. It could have been poor connections. I had a bunch of ring terminals stacked up on the battery posts with the depth sounders, on board charger, engine charging, I Troll, etc & pretty rough splices & terminal crimps. I replaced the ring terminal stack with a Mercury Marine battery terminal kit. Also bought a decent crimping tool & connected the wires with marine grade shrink wrapped connectors. It is a better installation. So it could be wire gauge or connections or both. But it works!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwifishnut View Post
    Like foo, I rewired with 10 gauge & problems solved. However I do not know for certain that wire gauge was the only problem. It could have been poor connections. I had a bunch of ring terminals stacked up on the battery posts with the depth sounders, on board charger, engine charging, I Troll, etc & pretty rough splices & terminal crimps. I replaced the ring terminal stack with a Mercury Marine battery terminal kit. Also bought a decent crimping tool & connected the wires with marine grade shrink wrapped connectors. It is a better installation. So it could be wire gauge or connections or both. But it works!

I did everything exactly the same as you including the Mercury Marine battery terminal kit. Simple and it works.

Could y’all point me to this Mercury Marine terminal kit please.
    Don’t know what that is, but may take care of what I got on hand here >>>>>>>>>
    I bought some new battery post mount terminals and the bolt you use to connect the accessories is 3/8.
    The ring terminals for the charger and main boat harness are 5/16.

Could y’all point me to this Mercury Marine terminal kit please.
    Don’t know what that is, but may take care of what I got on hand here >>>>>>>>>
    I bought some new battery post mount terminals and the bolt you use to connect the accessories is 3/8.
    The ring terminals for the charger and main boat harness are 5/16.
    https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...y-accessories/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks Wayne.
    That’s pretty neat, a little bus bar for individual connections.

But, it connects to a battery stud, not a post.
    Wish they made one that would hang off the post.

Thanks Wayne.
    That’s pretty neat, a little bus bar for individual connections.

But, it connects to a battery stud, not a post.
    Wish they made one that would hang off the post.
    Just get a set of post to stud converters.
    Even Walmart has those.

11. Member
    What was the cost of the Mercury Marine battery terminal kit?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crappielabrador View Post
    What was the cost of the Mercury Marine battery terminal kit?
    I think it was between $65-$70 including shipping.

13. Member
    Hello to all,

I am not new to Humminbird. I have two 798 si HD ethernet connected units.I guess you would call them legacy units now and I had this issue you are having with the loss or double upping of the bottom. After back an forth with HB customer support and dealership that installed these units. It turned out the the ethernet hub power was sub par. This caused an issue with the ether connected devices. I have read through this topic because I am buying a new 100k boat and it is coming with Solix 12 mega si chirp units one at bow an one at console. So I was doing some research on issues I may experience.

So if by chance you have an ether module installed to network check the power connection to that device. I noticed that no one has mentioned this piece of hardware that is so important and can be very problematic. Seeing all these issues with the Solix are making me question my decision to rig my new boat with birds. But I do love the i-pilot link and want 360 imaging.

14. Member
    Power is important to everything. Curious if it was just bad connections or something else. Also was that an older model ethernet switch(Older meaning the AS ETH 5PS)? Bob

Quote Originally Posted by plains angler View Post
    5. Disconnected everything from the network.
    6. Restored factory defaults on both units and went through the quick set up process.
    7. Connected the console unit to the 5 port switch.
    8. Connected all accessories one at a time making sure the console unit had recognized each accessory before moving on.
    9. Went to the bow, connected it to the network and waited for the network to recognize the second unit.
    10. When asked to "sync network" from the bow unit position, I chose sync console and waited for the "sync network complete" sign to pop up.
    11. I then went back to the console and turned off all global settings.
    12. Still at the console, I then turned off auto configure and changed all of the data sources on the network to mimic the above examples.
    13. I then went in to settings (not the sonar quick menu tab, but the chirp sonar tap in the settings main menu as described above) and changed the max depth to 70'. That is about as deep as it gets around here.
    14. Once all of that had been done, I went to the bow and repeated the setting processes I had done at the console.
    Which of these steps would or would not apply to Helix MEGA G2N units?
    don't sound like they have the same options. ?

I need an explanation of step #9 please.
    Connect the bow unit to the Ethernet switch with the bow unit powered ON or OFF ?

thank you

16. Banned
    you don't need to do all of those steps. its really easy.

- disconnect the network cable from your bow unit
    - restore defaults on you console unit and do the quick setup...let it find all network items like 360, trolling motor, etc
    - restore defaults on the bow unit and do the quick setup. let it come up completely then connect the network cable
    - wait for the 'duplicate network detected' message and sync with the console unit network

now you can go through settings on both units and change what you like

17. Member
    By the way this part is a bit HARD TO GET. i JUST RECIEVED MINE TODAY. i AM PLEASED WITH THE oem PRODUCT. (Sorry I hit the caps lock)

18. Member
    Where did you purchase the part.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678